Shaving Rash?
My beard is fairly light on the sides of my face but it is much thicker on the neck area.  I have always had to shave that area more to get the same results as the sides of my face.  Recently, I noticed my neck area getting very red and irritated after shaving.  And in the past two weeks, it has gotten considerably worse.  I am using a double-edge razor which I have had for many years.  I have begun shaving more gently in the neck area and shaving strictly with the grain of the whiskers.  I am changing blades twice a week.  I have quit using astringent after shaving since it seemed to irritate the skin quite a bit.   I'm also now using anti-itch cream and diaper rash ointment on it but it seems to be the same as it was two weeks ago.  It also itches most of the time.  I  have had irritation in this area from shaving in the past but it always went away in short order.  But this time, it seems to be hanging on and nothing seems to be alleviating it at all.  Do you have any ideas why this is doing this and could it be something other than a shaving rash?
Thank you for your time.
From the symptoms it seems like razor rash or barber’s rash. Avoid using any lotions and creams over the rash for the meantime. Wash the area with a mild cleanser with moisturizing properties like Cetaphil. Pat it dry. Then apply a good hypoallergenic moisturizer over the area and see if this improves. If the symptoms still persist then you can apply mild steroid like dermacort.

If the irritation persists then please get it evaluated from a dermatologist. Tinea barbae which is a fungal infection of the shaved areas of face and neck is to be evaluated. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. Treatment can be started only when the diagnosis is confirmed. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.