Skin Discoloration/Itching
Hello. I'm a 25 year old male and I have a question. For a long time now I've suffered from a chronic itch in my skin. I switched soaps and started using a loofah instead of a bar and that seemed to cure the problem for the most part.

The only "itching fits" that I will get now are the occasional extreme itching in my genital area. Now if I were sexually active I would be on my way to being tested but I'm not. I got married young and only had one partner so I don't think it's possible I've contracted something. I'm now divorced and have been sex free for almost a year. The thing that concerns me is that upon examining the area below my genitals I have found a large patch of discoloration in my skin. My skin is naturally tan and there is a certain point where the tan stops and a very pale white starts. It is blotchy and centralized around the underside of my groin. I can't remember the last time I had an itching fit so I can't begin to think that I've actually scratched the pigment out of my skin. (Which to give an idea is the intensity of the itching I used to get... thinking scratching the pigment out as a viable option)

The real mystery comes from an even closer look. My naturally dark body hair growing out of these discolored patches are actually sprouting up silvery-white. So I know this isn't that I just haven't been sun-bathing in my birthday suit. Any insight into this specific problem would be great.

Is it cancerous? Is it dangerous? Should I get tested? Is this just something I'll have to live with because there is no real reason or cure? Those are all my questions. Google and Wikipedia searches turned up empty.

A name for the ailment would be great so I can do my own research.
One of the possibilities that need to be ruled out is vitiligo. It is a pigmentation disorder in which melanocytes (the cells that make pigment) in the skin are destroyed. As a result, white patches appear on the skin in different parts of the body. Diagnosis can be confirmed by external examination, blood tests to check skin cell count  for melanocytes and biopsy of the skin patches. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.