Skin Itch on Palm in one spot- been itching for over 10 years... No Spo...

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Skin Itch on Palm in one spot- been itching for over 10 years... No Spot or Sores

I have had a spot on the palm of my hand located between the inner side of my thumb and the center of my palm.  It has been an ongoing itch for over 10 years.  There is no spot, sore, or rash.  The only time it gets red is when I scratch too much because of how bad it itches.  It itches at random times, sometimes a slight itch, and other times I will have to scratch it throughout the entire day.

I have cut it open several times to see if maybe a sliver of glass, a splinter, or other particle was stuck inside, but haven't been able to find anything.  However, when I cut it open (usually with a pair of sterilized nail clippers or something) it feels better because the pain comforts the itch.

Does anyone have any type of explanation for this?

One thing... i said there wasn't a spot, but there is an EXTREMELY FAINT little line up under my skin.  Could this be scar tissue from being cut so long ago?  I have other scar tissue that does not itch to this extent.

LOOKING FOR A REASONABLE!!!
I cannot confirm anything without examination but it can be lichen simplex. Lichen Simplex Chronicus is seen in people with eczema.

It is treated like chronic eczema by decreasing water and soap contact, and applying emollients. Topical steroids are almost always needed to control the symptoms. You can use mild steroid cream like Dermacort and if the symptoms persist then high potency steroids and oral steroids may be needed.
My sincere advice would be to consult a dermatologist to get the diagnosis confirmed.

I hope it helps. Take care and please do keep me posted in case you have any additional doubts. Kind regards.
Hi Dr. Kaur,

I researched Lichen Simplex Chronicus, and the results of every website described the exact same symptoms that I am experiencing.  I am going to consult with a dermatologist.

Thank you so much for your help and knowledge!

Katie Owen