Skin blotches caused by adrenaline, heat, cold, etc.

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

I'm a 30 year old female and for the past 4 years have been working with my family doctor to try to find a solution to my skin condition without success.  About 5 years ago, I started noticing that I would get red blotches on my neck/chest and sometimes down my arms if I was nervous or excited.  I have very pale skin and they're very visible, but at first this wasn't happening too often.  Over the last few years, it has become more and more frequent.  I get these blotches numerous times a day, every day.  The previous triggers such as nervousness, excitement, crying (anything that causes adrenaline to flow) cause them.  However, I now get them from heat, cold, showers, blowing drying hair, drinking any alcohol etc.  If I scratch or rub my skin it is also bright red for a while.  They can even happen spontaneously for no reason that I can pinpoint.

My doctor has run tests to rule out other conditions.  He's tested my thyroid and it's normal.  He has prescribed different types of pills which are Atenolol (50 mg 2 times/day) and Clonidine (0.05 mg 2 times/day).  These haven't helped.  Clonidine works for a short time to tone down the blotches slightly, but not stop them and doesn't last long.

These aren't hives since they're not raised or itchy.  The doctor says there is nothing more he can do for this and this is just the way I am.  He says it happens to others, although he said he is quite surprised at the severity of the condition in me. I've tried almost every camouflage makeup available and nothing will cover it.

I've asked my doctor if there is anyone I could see or if a referral to a Dermatologist would be worthwhile and he said there isn't anything more that he or another doctor could prescribe or do to alleviate the condition in any way.

I'm tired of wearing high neck shirts every day and I'm concerned that this is now starting to cause me to avoid social situations.  I did not previously have any anxiety issues, but these blotches are causing me to have anxiety issues.  

I just wondered if there is anything I could try or that you could suggest.  I was also wondering if IPL laser treatments might help at all or if that is only effective on redness that is present during the treatments (or skin that is always red and not intermittently, the way mine is).

Thank you for any advice you can provide.

Hi. Im a 27 y old guy from Norway. I got something that reminds me of your condition, and my doctor also doesn't find out anything except that it may be tied to the blood circulation...my blotches appear as white dots all over my underarms, palms and lower legs. They docent itch, and aren't raised over skin and seems to disappear when i showering ore lay down. When i wake up from sleep my arms can feel very numb, and when i get stressed it seems the spots get worse. I have had an anxiety problem with panic attacks fore 3 years, but the blotches for only 3-4 months....however,  my doctor says this is nothing to worry about, but it doesn't  look good esthetically
Hi, I have exactly the same reaction (red blotches) from any situation where adrenaline is produced. I have suffered from this for years and have found it at times extremely debilitating. The anxiety caused by the expectation of getting the red blotches actually brings them on.

I know you have tried clonidine with little effect but I noticed that you took a relatively small dose. I tailor my dose to the size of the stressor ie small stressor 25mcg up to 75mcg spread over time for a large stressor. This may work for you as you have already noticed some beneficial effects from the dose you were taking.

I'd love to know how you are getting on with your flushing, i hope you find comfort in knowing you are not alone and I understand just how stressful it can be.
My daughter of 18 has been getting these red blotches on her face, neckline and arms all her live.  Doctor told us those days that she over-produces adrenaline and we should not worry about it.  She also gets them when sitting under a floresant or UV light.  It is now becoming embarrasing to her as she gets older. She does get stressed easily and also get heart pulputations - sometimes out of the blue.  I am going to take her to a doctor to run test - will let you know of the outcome.