Dermatology Expert Forum
Skin feels like its on fire..

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Skin feels like its on fire..

For about two weeks now, my chest region and my back direcly behind my chest feels like its on fire. It feels like a sunburn, and is extremly more sensitive to the touch. I can feel my shirt brushing up against my chest and back area and that is even painfull. I have NO visable rash, redness, bumps.. nothing.. My doctors don't even really know what to say. Since there isnt a visable rash, or redness or anything I'm not even sure they really believe me. It is very irratating.

I'm a 23 year old male in normal to good health.

Please help.
I am not at all sure what you have, because your symptoms don't remind of anything.  If you have burning without a visible rash, I advise applying a topical anesthetic liberally and often.  (Pramoxine gel is over-the-counter--ask your druggist.)  That should break the itch-scratch cycle.  And don't worry about it.  This does not sound like the symptom of some seriosu disease, and stress can aggravate itch and general sensitivity.

If you develop a rash, or if the burning spreads or persists more than a month, you shoud see a skin doctor for confirmation.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Also no new detergents, and I haven't worn anything that would cause this irritation to the skin..
i to have the same sort of burning feeling, almost a numb feeling. It has been there for a couple of days and I have'nt gone to see my Dr. yet because there is nothing to see there is no rash just this hard to explain feeling in the skin. How long did your last and did it go away on its own.
Dingo... I have the same symptoms you describe.  I was wondering if you've had any relief yet?
I don't know if this will help or if it's what you have but I have had the same experience numerous times on different parts of my body. The first time I got the symptoms in my head. Taking a shower was excrutiating.  I pushed the doctors to send me to specialists. I too, have had no visible rash most of the time but have had blisters a couple of times with this condition.  Anyway, after seeing a couple of specialists and finally getting to a nuerologist I actually self-diagnosed, I think through the grace of God. I brought up the possibility of "shingles". They were skeptic because I didn't have a visible rash and/or blisters and I don't know why I even thought about it, but they agreed to  test for it (it can be very dangerous if you get it in your head because if can damage you eyes) and found the virus anitbodies active in my system. The neurologist also told me that I tested for not only the herpes zoster virus (which anyone who has had childhood measles has in their system) but also tested positive for a new strain of herpes that had been identified about 20 years ago and they suspected many people had it and didn't know it because it could remain dormant for many years before becoming active. It is also pretty easily spread according to the doctor, unlike other strains.
I had extremely sensitive areas of skin, and it usually manifests in the head area or on the trunk. It can manifest in other places. It also will typically manifest on one side of the body. Your syptoms (symptoms) sound very familiar. I describe my pain as feeling like my skin is burned and anything that touches it, even a breeze can be very painful. I am also very sensitive to cold and warm soothes my skin. I am very tired also.
Again, I don't know if this is what you have but a simple test can tell you if you have anti-bodies and may help with your peace of mind.
I also found nothing that really eased the pain much so I searched the internet and found a product called "Vira-derm" that I ordered and it was the only thing that helped. If I catch it early I can keep it at bay and stop it from getting worse.
You can go to their website for more info and I called them and they were very helpful to me. It is a very natural product.
I hope this helps you and while I do not wish this condition on anyone, if you do have the virus it is good to know because you take measures to keep it from coming back. Staying healthy, keeping your immune system strong, keeping stress to a minimum, all these things can help a lot to prevent future episodes.
I have symptoms exactly as you describe - doctors mystified - did you ever get to the boottom of this? How long before it wore off? Did any localized cream treatment help?
A related discussion, feels like sunburn on my back was started.
A related discussion, sunburn feeling was started.
A related discussion, Fire accident probem was started.