Small black dot on chest

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Small black dot on chest

I am a 37 year old female with light skin. I can burn but also tan pretty easily. My family has no history of any skin cancers. I have been very careful about my skin since my mid twenties but a s a child and teen never wore sunblock in the Summer. I have lots of freckles but they are very very light and many small moles 1-4 mm. They vary in color from tan to very very dark brown. I get regular check ups with my Dermatologist yearly. The other day I picked at a spot on my chest without looking at it (which I almost never do). When I looked at it with a mirror I noticed next to the spot there was a tiny 1-2 mm black spot that is not uniform in shape. It is not a blackhead. I showed it to my dermatologist and she seemed unconcerned and said melanomas are not that small. It is possible that I have always had this mole but I am not sure. Can melanoma be this small? I only had one other mole this dark and it was on my leg that I had removed. Should I have her remove this just  to be sure? I am only concerned because of my past relationship with the sun.
Thank you,
Lady Penelope  
From the symptoms it does not look like a melanoma. Melanomas are usually >6 mm in size, with irregular borders , asymmetrical and dark in color. If you notice changes in the mole's/mark’s color, height, size or shape, you should have a dermatologist evaluate it. You also should have it checked if it bleeds, oozes, itches, appear scaly, or become tender or painful. Otherwise it should be left as such.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.