Dermatology Expert Forum
Small red Shiny Mark on Penis Head

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Small red Shiny Mark on Penis Head

Dear Dr,
My name is Brian, about two 1/2 months ago I posted regarding a 'pimple outbreak' located solely in my pubic hair that I worried to be Herpes. Accoring to your advice and the doctors I saw, it was not, and I have not seen any recurrance since (The initial break was 4-5 months ago).
Since that time, I have developed a small circular mark on the right-side of my penis head just above the rim. It is about the size of a pencil-eraser head, is red (althought it is not a particularly striking red) and the mark is very shiny. I've had it for what I think has been about a month, and it has never actually grown or gotten worse. In fact, recently it has subdued and almost looked like it was one-two days from going away, only to return to normal strength later in the day. The skin is at times SLIGHTLY raised (especially during an erection), but is often flat with the rest of the skin, or even depressed sometimes.
It is not ever sore, and I have no other complications beside it. Although I can't pinpoint the exact date I got it, I know it was around the time when I have had protected sex with my girlfriend and wore a condom that was too big (it was a large that fit 'adequetly' but I am certanily built for a regular size). Perhaps it could be a friction mark, but I have my doubts, and would at least LIKE to believe it would have left by now if that was the case. We have had protected sex twice since then.
I do not know what it is, however I can say that I have tried various cremes (Cortizone, even 'band-aide' ointment) and none have worked. Some even make the irritation more pronounced.
Any sort of trauma (touching it, masturbating, sex, even showers) increase its appearance. I have cut out masturbation and haven't had sexual relations with my girlfriend for a while as she is out of the country. I see small improvment in the area from time to time, but nothing worth smiliing about. I would LOVE to know...
1) What it could be??
2) How long an estimate do you think I will have this?? even if it is not an STD it certainly has the appearance of one and is making me very self-concsious and nervous.
3) Any steps I should take to be rid of it?

Thank you VERY much for your advice and help. It is greatly greatly appreciated. I am very frustrated.
It sounds like friction.  Any rubbing, sexually-related or otherwise, will redden it further.  The less you do about something like this, the better.  No need to avoid sex when your girlfriend comes back.  If you remain concerned, you should show the doctors you saw before.  Take care.  

Dr. Rockoff
Any estimation on how long it will take to heal? or products I should apply to expediate the process. It's appearance during an erection is accentuated and it bothers me.

Thanks again, and have a great holiday.
A few eeks, I'd say.  Ignore the appearance--not easy to do but your best option.  Dr. Rockoff
Wow.  I have the EXACT same thing.  I've had mine for maybe 3 weeks now, and haven't had sex in just under 2 months.  This describes it perfectly.  Kind of shiny, about the size of an eraser, started out as a zit-looking thing.  ANYTHING to speed up healing?  It's quite unsightly...
-TR
Just got back from a clinic for the same issue, I think. The only different is that mine comes and goes. I noticed that it comes soon after I'm active. The Doctor looked at it and said that it is friction that causes it. I don
A related discussion, Shiny or waxy red spot, head of penis, was started.
A related discussion, What do you reccommend I should do? was started.
A related discussion, red bump on head of penis was started.