Smooth rash in groin area

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Smooth rash in groin area

About 2 years ago, after a long day of walking, the skin around my groin in the folds broke out in super-itchy, inflamed red rashes.  I used OTC hydrocortisone cream, and the problem subsided significantly.  However, ever since, I've had a permenant rash running up the exact middle of my skin folds where the leg meets the groin area - probably about 5 inches long right in the middle of the leg crease.  Absolutely doesn't itch at all, the rash is completely smooth (can't feel it at all), but it becomes sticky very easily and the skin kind of glistens a little.  When I get hot and sweat, the skin will become very sticky and smelly (much more than normal).  After a shower, it doesn't seem to dry very easily like the surrounding normal skin.  I've tried long treatments with OTC anti-fungals (lamisil, tolnafate), but it hasn't improved the condition at all.  Does this sound like a very stubborn fungus?  Or something else?  I should note that I've had problems in the past, but not now, with rashes on the backides on my elbows and knees (from what I understand, atopic dermatitis), and am starting to get what looks like a little psoriasis around my knees.  Thanks for your help, and the guidance you provide to all of us.
Jason
It would be best to see a doctor since they would be able to determine what the problem is best. I heard lamisil jock itch gel helps with the problem but as you said you've used it extensively. Just see your local doctor
From the description in your post , it sounds like a recurrent yeast infection. Yeast infectionis very common in areas of the body that swaet and that retain moisture, like skin folds.
Consequently they are seen in regions of the body like  genitals, underarms, under the breasts(in females), thighs( in over-weight individuals), hands and feet.

Hormonal changes, stress, nrdications and dietary factors can alter the natural balance that exists between these organisms and the body, thus triggering off an infection under the right conditions.

Symptoms include severe itching, burning, and soreness, irritation and sometimes a clear, sticky discharge. A microscopic examination and culture can confirm the diagnosis.
Treatment would be with anti-fungal medications like Monistat. However, if there is an underlying medical condition( like Diabetes) or frequent antibiotic usage, this infection is bound to recur.

Keep the skin-fold areas clean and dry especially in hot, humid weather. you can use anti-fungal powders as a preventive measure. Also wear loose fitting, cotton garments to keep the region aired.

Thanks for your response, doctor.  Did you catch that I am a man?  It sounded like some of your response was intended for a woman.  Does that change anything?  I figured it was fungal, but the really smooth, non-scaly, almost embedded rash and the fact that it isn't responding to lamisil, etc, made me question if it was fungus after all.  Eventually I'll go to a dermatologist, but since I don't have insurance, I wanted to see what I could do at home before the Dr.  Thanks,
Jason
You can still try the medications because if it is yeast, it will respond irrespective of the sex of the individual.

Sorry, if I made you feel like I was talking to a lady.
Can you see the rash? I have the same thing. For over a year now. The skin doesn't itch but often hurts. Their is no discoloration or scales. I have been to five different dermatologists. They used a light to look for signs of yeast, but found nothing the biopsy showed fungus but nothing worked.
You said you had eczema, was it anything like this?
Yeah - I can see the rash, it's red and smooth, doesn't itch, and certainly doesn't hurt at all.  Just gets sticky very easity and the rash won't go away with OTC medications.  I've really got no idea if it is related to these rashes I used to get on the opposite sides of my knees and elbows (in the creases)...if your biopsy turned up fungus, I wonder if you tried oral anti-fungals like terbinafine pills?
I have a problem.

I have this red rash on both folds in the groin area. It's a tad sore, hurts a bit but doesn't itch at all, especially if I touch it. What could it be?
I mean it hurts a bit when I touch. Doesn't itch
Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers