Split butt crack. - Help ! need some guidance.
this is embarrsing - but I have had this problem for about 2 years now. Have lived with it off and on now but its getting to the point where I can't take it anymore. There is about a 2 inch slit/tear within my butt crack. Its couple inches south of tailbone. I do not know what this is caused from.  I sit at a desk all day, some people tell me its sweat, or a yeast problem ? my regular MD doctor didnt know what it would be caused from. I was instructed to keep it dry and then put desatin on it but that does nothing. I switched to bag balm, it heals it up for a few days and then it goes right back to being split open and starts to bleed a little.  This stings when I take a shower too !!   any suggestions on what I can do ?  I can't afford to go see a dermatologist right now.  Thank You
Use a serum with Vit. C in it, or I have used polysporin in the past and it's worked great.  I've gotten the split on and off over the years and have no earthly clue what causes it, but it's painful and a bit itchy.
One possibility is of pilonidal cyst. In this the skin becomes reddened or even sometimes looks like a small bruise)When it is infected, it causes pain. Antibiotics or surgical drainage may be required. Look at the skin of the lower back. If you see a cyst or pus filled cyst, it can be a pilonidal cyst or an infection of the sebaceous glands of the skin in the area which can form into an abscess and thereby the acute pain.

I feel that physical examination by a doctor is necessary to make a diagnosis. I hope it helps. Take care and regards.

I had this happen to my one time. I used cortisone cream and kept the area clean. It was gone in 2 days. I hope that helps.
Usually doctors can not think outside of what they have learned.  That is to say, if they have not learned it in a book it either does not exist or they just have no idea.  When this happens they will 'force' your situation to fit their knowledge base.  Case in point talking about a cyst.  A split in your skin is a split in your skin pure and simple.  People can relate it to the sometimes split people have at the corner of their mouths.  No cysts involved no scare tactics needed to have an operation.  I have the same problem, I use aloe and vitamin e and keep it dry with baby powder.  I did notice it usually happens if my skin becomes moist for too long, like when I sweat.  I also noticed that it comes back more easily based on my diet, drinking too much etc.  Its likely to be a ph problem that inhibits the bodies natural defenses against normal bacteria.  It becomes itchy and if you scratch the skin breaks and vola.  Oddly enough anti-bacteria ointments do nothing, the skin does not heal back.  Dry is best.
stop putting sausage up the arse lol
My little girl was born with that tiny opening/slit above her "butt crack".  It has not seemed to give her any trouble.  I thought it may have closed up as she became older, but it has not.  Has anyone else seen this with themselves or their children?
I have had this happen to me off and on since I was a little girl and I am now in my 30's. I also have notices that this seems to happen more so during the summer when its hot and I sweat more. I have felt it re-open when bending over to tie my shoes and I have also felt it re-open during intercourse. it sometimes takes time to heal but ointment and creams are definitely NOT the answer! KEEP THE AREA CLEAN AND DRY!  applying ointment and creams will only keep the area open and potentially cause infections. Applying a mild powder (unscented), perhaps original baby powder, will help keep area dry. Some people have this occur and get very self conscious about it, but are not aware that this is more common than people know and probably 8 out of every 10 people you know have this happen to them as well rather they admit it or not!  It is painful and irritating but correct care to the area will surely help to keep this from reoccurring and free from infection.
This happens to me. It use to happen just by bending over or during intercourse like someone else has said. I unfortunately have not found anything that will stop it from happening. Ointments like cortisone or polysporin help heal, but it can come back whenever. Just when i think its healed it can split easily. My fiance does not think it can happen out of the blue or from bending over.
i have had this for at least fifty years, and I agree with all the comments. Antimicrobials don't work. Dry is key. While I don't sweat much in general, I have constant scrotal and "***-crack" sweat. Antidepressants, which are anticholinergics, help a little. But just seeing this site and seeing that it is more common than I realized is very helpful
I thought it comes with age.  For me, never noticed it or feel it till in my older age (50s).  Was shocked, wondered what it was since I am very cautious of my hygiene.  So I cleaned it applied antibiotics to avoid infection.  It went away, but resurfaced when I tried bending or sitting on the commode, then I cleaned again and used baby powder, and has been gone since, been 5 years now.  Came across this topic because a friend mentioned the concern, I decided to google and show it.  
coconut631 has the accurate diagnosis and corrective treatment posted. This is more common than you think and it just happens. So here's what really works for relieving discomfort and speed up healing;
1) Wash with anti bacterial soap...Dial liquid hand soap works great.
2) Pat dry with a clean white towel.
3) Always keep the area dry!
4) Apply Gold Bond Medicated Powder to help keep it dry, soothed, protected and speed up the healing.
5) Wear white cotton underwear only! I say this because white cotton has no dyes and cotton lets your skin breath.
Do this as often as needed during the day and especially at night. And it should clear up in a couple of days. Hope this helps. :-)
NEVER EVER use steroid cream on skin lesions unless your doctor has advised you to do so.

Many skin lesions in the anogenital area are fungal, and the use of steroid creams can make them much worse.

Use sudocrem or bepanthen first, if that does not help, try canesten (clotrimazole) cream.

If the self help does not resolve the problem after a week or two, PLEASE see your GP.
Have you heard anything back from anyone on your question? Either way, please email me at ***@****. I know of someone with the same problem and would like to find out if you have received any advice.
Thank you!
  My BF recently had a accident. Hes 6'5" and was working on a Range Rover that was on a lift above him. The Range slipped off from the front right axile and fell onto his legs, pinning him down for 1hr and 20mins. Thank God no broken bones. He did recieve scratches to his back, sides and legs. seeing he was face to ground he split the skin inbetween his butt. its in line with his crack. I was told to use corn starch but its still leaving it moist. what should i use?
Wow thanks to all the comments!  I figured I would try and see if this were just me.....  I too have been using creams like for baby rash and hemmroids.  Mine developed after I had a major hemmroid surgery and thats been a few years ago now.  I thought I had it whipped there for a while but now it's back.  Yes it hurts, ITCHES and seems to redevelop every time I poop.  It also makes wiping quite painful.  So powder seems to be the answer.  I have been going so far as to stuff toilet paper between my butt cheeks to dry it up.  Has anyone tried MONKEY BUTT powder?
  I have the same problems !! And I have tried everything on the market!!! I went on ebay and bought MONKEY BUTT POWDER with CALAMINE !!!!   It's the best powder that works !! I also have rash under my breast this powder works great!! Hope this helps !! I had never heard of this powder before !! But I went on ebay looking for something different then I saw this ANTI MONKEY BUTT Anti Friction Powder with Calamine  and it also comes without Calamine in it !!  Give it a try it was like $6 or $7 dollars !!!
I have had the paper cut like split in the anal cleft for 3 years, healing and recurring, painful to sit upright for long even when healed, the nerve endings frazzled from the cut never healing permanently. My Gp had advised me to keep the wound moist. Bad advice. Keeping it dry was what he should have told me said other GP. It healed off and on after and still it causes me problems at times. The best treatment was from self application of Haelan Tape on prescription. It is light, waterproof and has a steroid impregnated. I cut a half inch wide strip and apply it to the cut, practice makes perfect. It says to keep it in place for several hours. I leave it longer and apply it during the day so that toileting does not make things worse. The tape protects and keeps the cut from splitting again long enough for it to heal. I have at times just left it in place until it starts to release after a day or two to try to get it to heal. Life has been more bearable sitting since using this. Nothing worked before. I also use a coccyx cushion in the car to prevent pressure on the area. It helps as car seats are so much harder these days.
By the way the manufacturer of  Harlan Tape is Typharm, in case anyone wants to try to source it.
Sorry typo. Please read Haelan tape.
I have it since last week it hurt n itch at the same time...
I need help too I also have a very sore butt crack...I don't know what it is it just came about one day it was itchy then it became very painful like a needle poking my skin.it also kinda feels like a bruise when I sit down and hurts. My boyfriend told me it's cause my butt is getting bigger. And my butt crack slit... Can this be true? Please help.
Independent-mama is right!  I had his problem for a couple months.  The doctor said to use neosporin ointment.    It didnt work and i was in a lot of pain.  I used babypowder twice a day for a week and im fine now!    
Yes I can help!! I suffered for several years with recurring butt crack split skin. I tried OTC  and RX antifungal cremes, baby powder, Desitin, Bag Balm, hair dryers, only cotton clothing, and still suffered. A Chinese medicine doctor advised me that after I shower, to turn the water to a small trickle and as cold as I can stand it, hold my butt cheeks apart, and let the COLD WATER run over the area for a few moments. It always works! If the problem occurs in the heat of summer and the COLD water isn't enough, I will get a single ice cube and hold it over the split skin area either sitting on the toilet or lying on my side in bed. Contine drying well. Sometimes I then add baby powder, but it is the very cold water that makes it get better.
actually, when the body is not in homeostasis/balance, lots can happen not at all fun .sounds like you have yeast there-I have had this , actually have suffered from Candidiasis or yeast overgrowth in several places on my body and now I find I have TTDM even though I am thin (116 lbs at 5'3") and eat correctly etc. Probably cause is my arthritis and stress causing much inflammation which can be now known as a big cause of type 2 diabetes in those who are not at all overweight. I am also 60 and have other issues. But, try the yeast creams OTC like clotrimazole, miconazole to kill it and on the corners of your mouth. Has worked for me until now due to the diabetes diagnosis which makes he yeast overgrowth terrible in my entire body.
Hello all, I have had this problem for years, maybe 10. Slowly over time it has got worse and my entire "crack" is split open, it kind of looks like a place where a sergin made an incision and the surrounding area is super pink/red sometimes bleeds. I showed a doctor this once a few years ago and he gave me a anti fungal cream to use. It did not work and stayed the same, I was not going to go to another doctor and embarrass myself again to get the same diagnosis so I just dealer with it. Sometimes I would get it to heal for a few day but then it would split right back open again, I visited my sister who is an RN and showed her. She said that she sees this all the time in the hospital and that it is a yeast infection with moisture erosion. This makes the skin in the surrounding area very irritable and easy to pull off from scraching. You WILL NOT get this problem fixed unless you treat the underlying cause which is the yeast overproduction that is in your body. The way to treat this is through diet. Yeast loves suger and moisture. You must stay away from bread and refined sugers and other acidic turning foods. Get your body's PH out of the acidic range and into the alkaline range. This lack of suger will starve the yeast and weaken/kill them enough so that u can drink prebiotics and refill your gut with the proper bacteria. Once the yeast is gone your crack/butt will heal up on not retract  (unless you redevelop the over production of yeast again from a bad diet or hygine)
I have had a split for about 2 years I'm 21 way to young for this it goes away for days to months and comes back for every short time maybe a day I don't notice pain but when I sit down to use the bathroom it splits and bleeds alot...and when I mean alot I mean it drips into the toilet and can make tp soaking wet when I wipe it I am getting concerned that's not normal....
I have a crack of the top of my butt everyone I shower and dry the area,I put pure tea tree oil on a cotton pad and treat the area.tea tree oil has antibacterial properties and is good for minor abrasive cuts. I the follow up with virgin coconut oil which has antifungal and microbial properties and keeps the area well moisturized. I hope this helps.
WHAT NOT TO DO.   I have had this same embarrassing problem for the past 3 months.  Nothing helped. So yesterday I decided to have my wife put New Skin on it.  OUCH.  DON'T DO THIS.   I used to use baby powder after showering, but it dried me out so I would get a rash.  It is so sore I trying the baby powder again.  Hope it works.
This is what I have found that works, I use a cotton pad with a product that is for dry itchy scape.
Scalpicin Anti-itch Liquid (And I've also used the generic) Wal-Mart, cvs or most any retailer that sells shampoo or dandruff products.
Like many have said, moisture caused by sweating, not wearing Cotton underwear is important. And keeping area clean and dry. After bathing dry area then use the cotton pad that is saturated with the scalp product. I would recommend using this morning and night. For me I notice it more with weight gain and any time I've exercised (thus sweating) while wearing non-cotton underwear & not bathing right away. The yeast growth does make a lot of sense too & the dry scalp product does dry up the growth of the fungus.
I've had this prob for a few months too. My doctor told me to put a little bit of Vaseline on it but that didn't work. Neither did anti bacterial gel. I even tried to use Newskin twice a day, but didn't fix it. My girlfriend says I have Trench Rot.
Thank you for that comment. Reading what she wrote I was like...wtf? And yes a lot of these answered help so thank you. Dry seems to be the key after healing it. :)
I had no idea that other people have this too. I don't think everyone on here is talking about the same thing but the basic "when it's extra hot out" or "I'm sweating extra" I feel the split and it hurts and adding cream or whatever doesn't help because it it keeps the area wet. That said I showed my doctor once. This has been happening to me since I was a young teen and I'm in my thirties now. She told me to use organic expensive baby diaper cream. It's worked really well for years because it somehow does the trick and keeps the crack still mostly dry (if not over applied) I recently ran outta it and don't wanna buy it again. I've been debating using something like peroxide since that would dry the area out and then if I keep it dry it would heal. Thoughts??? I think it would do the same trick... I don't know why I feel weird buying diaper cream. Maybe it's because I can't have babies... but it's nice to have answers and for the first time ever not feel alone after reading all of this. I thought I was just a freak with a touchy crack :)
I too had this problem just for few days but a simple thing just worked a wonder and now within half a day its gone.... just mix some coconut oil with some olive oil and put than during every morning and evening and put some turmeric before going to bed.... iam sure it will cure soon.... A point added to that akways keep your butt line moisturized to avoid the recurrences.... hope it will help you
I have experienced the same for months and didn't know how it happened or how to fix it. I do know that i sweat more there than i use to.
Cream only keeps it moist and makes it worse. So after reading an article i decided to try antibacterial mouth wash and it has almost gone in no time.
From what i know it kills the bacteria that growns on moist skin and helps to dry the skin.
Twice a day dab some on with cotton wool. Good luck. I hope it helps.
I've also been struggling with this, so I really appreciate all the opinions and advice. Mine got really out of hand last week, so after doing lots of research, I decided to try using a "barrier cream" which is called Calmoseptine ointment (Walgreens has a generic called "Walgreens skin protection ointment", which is a little cheaper.) It's actually like an "adult" version of diaper rash cream. Lol. It's found in the same aisle as the adult diapers. *Blush blush*. But it has really helped. It's not something I want to have to use every day, as it is a bit messy and gets on underwear if you don't put something like gauze over it. So I'm also looking for a preventive to help it not get so bad.

The cornstarch baby powder seems to help, but I'm still having some itchiness....so not entirely sure how to prevent it from recurring. It's a conundrum. Lol. Claudine, I'd like to try that anti monkey butt powder with calamine. Sounds like it works great! Wish I could find it in a store instead of having to get it online.

Bellastella007, the antibacterial mouthwash sounds like it's helped you, so I'm thinking about trying that. Just scared it'll burn!!! Do you use something like Listerine? I'll let you know how it works for me. ;)  Hopefully this will be over soon!!!!!
Hope it helps u.  Mine has healed but i notice that there is like a scar left from it. This can flare up again under the right moist conditions or can split when u sit on toilet if u don't sit carefully.
If it does heal i suggest still using it now and then