Strange Red and Dry patch on face?!
I have no idea what is going on with my face and I desperatly need help. For the past week there has been a patch of red, dry skin under my eye, on my upper cheek, and I have no clue what it is. At first I thought it was windburn, (my husband drives his jeep with the top off) so I began applying lotion all day and night. It burns and tingles a little whenever I apply it. The lotion isn't helping though. (I am using a oil-free face lotion) If this persists I will be going to the doctor next week to see what is wrong, but I was hoping someone here could offer some help beforehand. What is wrong with my face?! I have had acne in my past, as you can se with the pic, but it is has gotten a lot better over the years. I am not curently taking or using anything for my acne. I have naturally oily skin and I wash it every other day. I have changed my face wash six weeks ago from Noxema (with tricolsan) to St. Ives Olive cleanser. I will stop using the cleanser this week to see it it helps, but if it was just dry skin wouldn't it respond to the lotion? I am at a loss! Please help!
I'm not saying that it is but do some research on lupus.  One of the symptoms is a "butterfly rash" on the face.  I also have red, dry, flaking parts of my face which feel irritated and sometimes itchy.  I have no access to a dermatologist so I've been trying to do research myself.  Someone thought it might be eczema, another one psoriasis but reading the post about seborrheic dermatitis seems to relate to my condition since I tend to have really bad dandruff in the winter months.  In recent years I've also had small red dry patches on other parts of my body, but only in the winter.  The doctor I went to diagnosed it as a fungal infection but now I don't think that is it.  I am going to use Head & Shoulders shampoo every day and also ingest 2 tablespoons of ground flax seed and 1 tablespoon of flax seed oil to see if it helps.  Another suggestion was to use Oil of Oregano topically on the red dry patches.  
I have been dealing with this kind of skin issue for years and I have finally gotten to the the bottom of it.....I am 55, been working in the fitness world for 30 years as a Personal Trainer and as a result of that profession I do a lot of research for myself, family and clients. It has taken me many years to figure out some of this stuff but the bottom line is that I am now working with doctors that are involved with Integrative medicine. These doctors are helping me figure out the right protocol for my specific issues. (which has everything to do with past antibiotic use, poor food choices from years ago, heavy metal toxicity, and a few other lifestyle choices that weren't so great) In other words you basically have to turn into a detective and sort your way through. Sooooo, my suggestion is to find a good Integrative doctor in your area and get started that way. One last thing, a complete blood and urine test to find out what your insides are is a good thing. And remember, our bodies were designed to function perfectly if we treat them right......
http://www.ask.com/health/adamcontent/eczema
This website really helps.
Hey, I just turned, fifteen; but I also have those red spots. There by my mouth, it stings when i put any facial products, and they dont seem to work. I was my face with warm water and facail clensear 2x a day and after i put on a light oil free mosterizer. I've had this patch for about 2-3 weeks, and it irratates me! Expecicially sence im in highschool it *****, because you can't put makeup on it cause it looks worse. I scrub it with a scrubier thing to get the flakes off but they always come back. Ive got them before but they usually go away, but this one isnt going away... So please tell me someting that will help the red patch:/
Oh gosh I'm so glad to see so many individuals with the same issue. I have a small little patch right under my bottom lip, and luckily, it happens to be only in that particular area. I do happen to be a "beauty guru," so maybe all of the ridiculously priced lotions and products I happen to use all over my body have prevented this. I don't know, I don't have a PHD in anything lol, but the point is, I've been constantly worried about this because I happened to be sexually active a couple weeks before. Trust me, I looked into HIV symptoms the day I realized it was there, and I just had that gut feeling of "you know, these don't happen to quite be correct." But again, the patch under my lip is a little raised, reddish (white/scaly/crusty when un-stretched) and itches + burns for literally two seconds when picked with. My little brother did happen to have quite the case of eczema when he was younger, so it's probably just a small issue that's family related. Hope it goes away soon!
same thing here but right in the middle of my forehead, what a nightmare, i look like someone has been continuously poking me in the forehead, my doctor was useless and fobbed me off with, oh its a bit of dermititis, i also have flaky skin all over my head, and another coin sized patch on the back of my head, im going to insist on a referal to a dermatologist as i cant go on like this, its been there for a couple of months , the flaky itchy skin on my head has been going on for over two years, ive had to start shaving all my hair off to lessen the irritation on my scalp but its still red and flaky :(
I have the perfect stuff to reduce the appearance of eczema/rosacea.  It is botanically based products. PURE SAFE & BENEFICIAL.   If you want to know more information please reply to this post.      I will educate you on products and foods that will help you with this problem.   I can sale the products and If, however, within 45 days of purchase, you are not completely satisfied with any product, you may return the unused portion for a full refund of the price paid or replacement product.
my neck for a month was red and itchy, flaky  and looked patchy and kinda thick, then i noticed another spot on the side of my chin.  I tried antibiotic creme, hydrochotozone.  Only bandaid solutions - drove my crazy.  then I had to visit Mexico for business went to  a pharmacy at the Airport and the creme was about 20.00 but the Doctor told me i had a case of Dermatitis and that the creme he gave me called "Elomet/Mometasone" would clear that.  I was so desperate i got the tube and within 20 minutes it was practically GONE on my neck and face.  You use very sparingly and only once  a day he said.  thank goodness for social medicine in Mexico as i have no health insurance.  I ALSO had a very painful cycst on my inner thigh that would hurt when i walked.  I did not know it it was an ingrown hair or boil but was very painful !! I even  put this creme on that issue and within 3 days it was GONE.  I hope this helped.  I am so glad that these recurring problems i have i now have a medicine on hand to help rid of these problems AND he said that for very bad insect bites to use this creme.  this creme is fantastic.
i have a big red patch of dry skin on my right cheek:'( i cant go  out and wont go out until it is away! its been here for about 2-3 days now and ive been looking up stuff to get it away.. i also have blackheads and spots on my forehead:( i look up what can i do to get them away i tried stuff like pputting face over hot bowl of stuff and stuff... school summer ends in like 4 weeks i really need these spots/blackheads and that rash away for starting school again! plz helppp...
i have the same thing as a lot of you guys. red patches started showing up, under my eyes, eyelids and around my mouth. it then turned into this flaky dry mess and made my skin really wrinkly and old looking even though im only 16. my skin patches hurt like crazy. i will purt on lotions or whatever and my skin will soak it right up but it stings like hell and doesnt help. gonna go to the dermatologist next week and see whats going on. please help if you have any suggestions!
Hi, I am wondering if perhaps your burning painful rash may be 'shingles.'  Have you had the 'chickenpox' at any time during your life?  'Shingles' is the commonly known name used to describe the skin lesions that can appear on any part of the body, including the face, when the same virus that causes 'chickenpox' becomes 'reactivated.'  
You can only suffer from 'chickenpox' once during your lifetime.  Afterwards, the 'chickenpox' virus remains dormant (sleeping) in the spinal cord, and sometimes reappears in a slightly different looking rash form, as 'shingles.'
Some people have experienced 'shingles' in the eye, although I have not studied in this area to offer information. Antiviral medicine is available for the treatment of 'shingles',  with a doctor's prescription and consultation.
This treatment, an oral medicine (taken by mouth and swallowed with water) is to be taken within 72 hours of the skin rash appearing, for effective results. There is additional information a medical doctor may advise, regarding this painful disorder.
I hope the best for you, in receiving a prompt and professional medical diagnosis and successful treatment.
Kind regards, from me, for 'OurHealth'. :-)
I realize you sent you comments in June and this in September, however I wanted to give you some information about psoriosis. I have had psoriosis for over 20 years. It is not just caused by stress although stress can cause it to flare up. It can be heriditary - since you indicated that an uncle has it, I would suspect the same for you. Sunlight is helpful, however, if you live somewhere that you cannot get in the sun or the psoriosis is on a part of your body that is covered by clothing, tanning salon with tanning booths works just as well and is not nearly as expensive as having PUVA treatments at a dermatologists office. Also, I drink only filtered water that has been filtered by reverse osmosis. Check the different brands, but believe Sam's brand is reverese osmosis. I actually purchased a reverse osmosis filtration system that sits on my counter. My dermatologist prescribed Ultravate ointment and Dovonex ointment to be used together. It really cleared it up and I now only have occasional eruptions appear. I had horrible plaque psoriosis on my knees and elbows. They are now totally clear and have been for about 8 years now. It is something you will have to deal with for the rest of your life, but it is manageable.    
Oh my gosh! I am reading all of these and freaking out. I have the exact same thing.. wrinkly, red, slightly burning.. I am (self/nutrition shop) diagnosed as gluten intolerant and quit eating gluten a couple of months ago.. but recently started work in an italian restaurant where I am handling a lot of bread and gluten! I am wondering if it is a topical reaction to being around it so much/breathing it in/touching my face.. I have an appointment at the derm tomorrow, but this is awful!
That's exactly what I have right now.. Did you ever figure out what it was and did you find a cure? Did it go away, pleaseee let me know.
Im a guy 37 I have it under my eyes close to my nose on both sides. it started about 10 years ago. so its not the makeup. some makeup may even help it.mine also comes and goes. got so mad one time I tried to scratch it off with my fingernail... that was dumb..lol  good luck everyone..jl
You need to go to a dermatologist , not to scare you but that is a classic sign of a sign of skin cancer. Get it checked ASAP!! Good luck!!
Since I do not have health insurance, I researched many sites to find out how to treat this F'ing thing. My symptoms are this: small dime size, 1cmx1cm, red spot, and flakes once a while. It does not itch or secrete any fluids. Basically, I woke up with it under my lip. Possiblity from drooling and the coldness of winter.

I obsessively searched many websites, pictures, forums to find different treatments. I tired using hydrocortizon 1% which helped the redness, but didn't really work that well. I bought aquaphor lip moisturizer which helped with flaking, but didn't treat it. I bought vaseline, but again didn't treat it. I started taking many vitnamins B complex, C, D, and fish oil. Finally, I decided to try Lotrium as described above by others, but Lotrium AF (clotrimazole 1%) instead of Ultra for a few days and I see some results. It is less red and looks like it is disappearing. Only time will tell. Anyways hope this helps anyone.  
Oh yeah I forgot to write I brought tree tea oil which did not help and probably made it worse.
I could cry! I have had a large rash on the laft side of my face for month (red dry bumps) and now in the last week it has spread all around my mouth. I have the doctor today and I am terrified as to what they are going to say. It sounds as if it is eczema. I am not vain but I am a very insecure person. I keep telling myself that I still have my health nut this is getting me so down. What I want to know is does it get better? I've read there is no cure.
I have been reading all these comments and still am trying to figure out what I have. At the moment, I don't have the means to a doctor.

I have a flaking skin that is red under my nose. If I try to clear the flaking skin, it stings.  I have tried to cover it up, but it doesn't work because the make-up makes it look worse. And now I am getting similar little spots below the left corner of my mouth!

Please help!!!
slynn310  - Well, based on all the comments here, wouldn't you think it's eczema?  I have a patch on my forehead and I have to believe it eczema based on everything I've read here.
THIS WORKED FOR ME.

I had dry kinda scales that would delelope under my nose and at the corner of my mouth. they would flake off and leave sore fed patches that looked worse. They would heal Id get a day or two respite then it would start again. It went on so long I was worried it would scar..It didnt ,dont worry.

1st I tried excessive use of high emolient (forgive my spelling) moisturiser. By excessive I mean a cm think layer on my face. handfulls. Leave it for 30m or an hour or all night.Try it and see how your skin drinks it in....its amazing. you will be applying more probably, wondering where it all went.
Try e45 cream , use by the nhs on burn victims....so. or Boots in the UK do a Aqueous cream B.P.    Its a soft white liquid paraffin cream... You know.. just the basic no smell thick white moisturiser.........That helped for a while, but felt like a patch, Just showed me how dry my skin was.

This is what worked. I cleaned up my act a bit, took better care of myself, drank more water ,and ate more veg. I quit smoking. I cleaned up my environment a bit too.Also I stay clean shaven. Think personal care people.

Also, and this gets a big part of the credit in my mind.. I tried using a clenser... Its called noxzema you can get it from amazon and read reviews online. I use it a couple of times a day, in a thin layer, massage it leave on 15 mins wash off. Smells and feels medicated in a good way, gets rave reviews and is cheap for a big tub.
At the same time I used a facemask for the first time, im a bloke...I wouldnt tell my friends so lets keep it between us. i used it at the same time as noxzema ( nox - facemask - nox)  overkill maybe :) still, only took 30 mins before bed. did this 2-3 times a week. facemask is an anti blackhead on with Salicylic acid.
Avon clearskin deep treatment mask. Thats a bit more expensive, Ive only use it for a couple of weeks, when it runs out im just sticking with the noxzema..still its kinda cheap ,on amazon again. Note no associate links.

So do this.
Clean your bath/shower well. focus on the taps / head / plug. anywhere bacteria could thrive.
Change your pillows and towels if you can.
Eat your fruit and veg, smoothie if needed but make sure if you buy it its real fruit pulp, with all the goodness left in.
Hydrate yourself... water, not coffee. want coffee ? more water for you then :)
Noxzema
face mask.
Thin barrier smear of vaseline overnight (minimal !) on worst areas only. dont gunk your skin up. dont cover your face. less in more. tiny amounts.

Think  happy thoughts of personal pride.

It worked for me it can work for you. Cost you maybe 20 buck to try it :)
Jobs a good one, youre welcome :). Happy travels :)
Just thought I'd post something for all of you to consider- I've had a recurring scaly red patch on my chin and around my eyebrows for years.  I went on a health kick and cut alcohol out of my diet and my skin was clear within a week.  I didn't immediately make the connection- thought it was the healthier diet..then I went on a cruise that involved a lot of drinking- and the patches were back within days. Cut the alcohol and my skin healed up again.  On new years Eve I had 5 or 6 drinks and my skin was flaring up again by nightfall new years day!  My point is not that alcohol causes this, but that I obviously have some sort of allergy to alcohol that causes my these patches to flare up.  Try cutting known food allergens (google for a basic list) out of your diet one by one to try to determine if one of them may be causing the flare-ups.  For example, some people are allergic to dairy products and don't even know it.  This requires a lot of self-control but it is totally worth it. Good luck!    
Yes there is the possibility that the diet has something to do with this skin problem. Also the use of too many products like lotions, creams, make up, and a lot products contain alcohol which dries our skin even more.  It is best to use simple home remedies to help with this problem. Stay away from cleansers that contain soap, washing your face with hot water, and products containing too many chemicals that most of us can not even tell what they are.  Instead its is best to clean our skin with oils like almonds oil, extra virgen olive oil, organic coconut oil, peach oil, etc. Remove oils with a wet warm towel and rinse your face.  At night do a simple honey mask and concentrate on the dry areas.  Leave the honey from 15 to 30 minutes and rinse with warm water.  Just regular honey works but raw honey is best. Do not reuse towel to dry your face use papper towel.  Moisterize your skin with jojoba oil, almond oil, coconut oil, or olive oil.  This simple treatment works even if your skin is oily, combination, dry or the person has acne problems. This is good even for wrinkles too. Expensive products are not better. They actually do more harm than good.
Wishing you all beautiful healthy skin! :-)

Thank you so much for your help.  I read your post late at night and I had the head and shoulders shampoo.  I washed the affected area with it and it helped immediately.  I will pick up the lotion tomorrow.

Thank you.
thank you for your advice, ive been reading everyones stories on here and as terrible as it is, im glad im not the only one with this issue. will definitely be following your advice.
I was told two days ago that I have iron deficiency and today my red patch under my left side lip came back after I had it for the first time 6 month ago. I've been applying hydrocortizone and anti itch cream it worked last time. but it leave a dark spot there.
Thank you SO Much! You are the smartest person on here. I thought this flaky, red/brown, raised, round spot on my left cheek was eczema but it does not itch. So, after reading your post, I looked up Bean Allergies and I have Every symptom! And I have been eating a lot of beans lately, too! You are a genius!
I FOUND A CURE!!!  I had red flaky irritated skin around my nose, a couple of spots above my mouth and a patch on my eye brow. I called my dermatologist but couldnt get an appt for a month out. So at first I tried coconut and jojoba oil with a few drops of tea tree oil. It helped a little but no major improvement. Then I found some rose oil in my medicine cabinet and used that. I kept applying every few hours. It cleared it up almost completely in 2 days! I also washed those spots with head n shoulders shampoo. Maybe it was a combo of the 2. Either way, cheap easy cure. I bought the oil at a pharmacy in Argentina so not sure where you would find it in the US/UK but I'm sure its out there. Good luck!!
Mia the green balm helps. Has consistency of Vaseline. 100% natural and contains an anti fungal. Look at the reviews on their website.
Thank You, DavidNguyen...for the wonderful advice, I copied it...and iam going to try this as soon as possible, I have the same thing, I have had this for about 2 years now,..it will be worse at times,...it is red,flaky,itches,burns,rough,hurts most of the time, i can't wait to try this,.any other information will be greatly appreciated...thank you,  I send you blessings with your career....
I have had a red scaly rash that would not go on the left side of my forehead for around 5 months.We have just moved and thought it was stress.
To cut a long story short I had a blood test and I had Vit b12 defiency.I have had so far 4 loading injections need another 2.My rash is gradually going so I am sure it was due to lack of VitB 12.get a blood test if you are able.
It's likely that you have guttate psoriasis, which is typically caused from the strep virus itself. I got my tonsils out after many many flare ups. Ever since, I have been almost 100 percent clear. It got BAD, but it was all related to strep. About 2 weeks after I would be sick, the spots would start to appear.
I was prescribed the same cream and not only did it not eliminate it, now it's spreading. They appear as Small red patches underneath my eyes. I find it flares up if I'm in the wind a lot or clean my face to aggressively. Natural moisturizers help it from appearing dry and flaky but nothing fully eliminates it so far. Dermatologist appointment is going to be the next step... Just treat it like sensitive skin don't irritate the area, and avoiding contact with the areas will help it from flaring up. At the same time this doesn't mean don't clean your face, clean your face with something natural on a regular basis... I use body shop products
One of the main benefits to making natural homemade beauty recipes is that they will provide you with a healthy alternative to many of the over-the-counter products that are full of harmful chemical ingredients. It is important to be mindful of what you put on your skin since it is the largest living and breathing organ in your body. Another advantage to using these types of homemade products is that you will save money and also help the environment. Many commercial cosmetics companies use chemical or detergent ingredients, and when they are rinsed from your skin, they can become toxic to the Earth's water supply.
Some handy items to use from your kitchen for natural homemade beauty recipes are bananas, oatmeal, honey, olive oil, mayonnaise, yogurt, and Epsom salts. These are just a few examples of helpful ingredients from your kitchen that can be used for hair or skin care! Perhaps two of the most common ingredients to have at your disposal for these natural recipes are natural soap bars and beeswax. These natural waxes can be purchased at health food store locations, and if you are allergic to bees, there are also vegetable-based waxes as an alternative.
Olive oil is a beneficial ingredient for homemade beauty recipes because it provides a number of skin and hair care benefits. It can be used to deeply hydrate severely dry skin on the knees, feet, and elbows. It can also be added to a warm bath to soften your skin from head to toe, or even to massage into the hair to treat dry scalp.
To make a quick natural exfoliating treatment with olive oil, mix together olive oil with two times the ratio of brown sugar to make a paste. Use this exfoliating paste before taking a shower by gently massaging it into the surface of the skin, and then rinse well. This simple treatment would remove all dead skin cells and provide a fresh glow to the skin tone.
If you have bananas available, you can use them to moisturize severely dry skin. Start out by mashing a banana until it has a paste consistency, and then smooth it onto your face and hands and allow it to stay for 10 minutes. Rinse completely, and then apply olive oil directly after to treat severe dryness and damage to the skin.
Tv
My problem with my face started in October 2014.  I started to notice red patches underneath my eyes and on my cheeks.  These blotches are also flaky.  I also have cracks and flaky skin at the corners of my mouth.  I took myself off of proactive and just started with facial wipes at night and using Palmers cocoa butter.  The cocoa butter seems to help some, but I think it's time to go to a dermatologist.  I put on my makeup in the morning and then a couple times a day I have to put the cocoa butter on top of it, very lightly.  I had acne up until a couple of years ago and now I'm dealing with this.  It's embarrassing but I'm able to cover it with makeup pretty well.
YAY Head and Shoulders worked! I had this huge patch of skin that was red, itchy and peeling on my face for months. I tried everything from Hydrocortisone cream to Bio Oil and that only slightly helped it, it didn't go away until I was reading on here about putting Head and Shoulders Shampoo, it got rid of the redness almost immediately and has almost gone away in a couple of days
Imiquimod looks to be working :)
I was just reading through all the comments and thinking I'm sure my red patch comes when I eat beans or is it the tomatoe juice it's in and now I have seen your comment it's just hit the nail on the head. Thank you I will keep beans out of my diet as from now.
I was just reading through all the comments and thinking I'm sure my red patch comes when I eat beans or is it the tomatoe juice it's in and now I have seen your comment it's just hit the nail on the head. Thank you I will keep beans out of my diet as from now. Maybe it's the protein like you said. I'm a guy and I don't wear make up but I feel it could be from eating beans which brings it on then I worry so I stress over it and it flares up more.
I have had exactly the same problem at the side of my eye for about 3 years now.  I went to doc and she said it was a little piece of eczema thank goodness.  Luckily it is under my fringe but it's still annoying.  Sometimes I rub the skin and it bleeds and then scabs so I must stop doing that!!  Maybe it will go away one day!
3 years of medication left my VERY SENSITIVE facial skin rather ragged with dryness, red spots & uneven marks etc. I have been using this Somaluxe Redness Repair Cream after cleaning my face - twice a day for a few weeks and I can definitely see a difference. The skin tone is clearing & balancing, the redness & marks are fading or gone & my skin feels soft, clear & lovely. I will be getting the Lady Soma Serum too methinks, for even more active vitamins A & C - as I'm turning 50 this year & realise maturing skin needs extra care.
Hey just apply a mixture of neem or margosa leaf paste and aloe vera gel on affected part it really helps. Aloe vera is really good for all skin problems I had flaky dry skin with red marks, like severe dry skin its under control after application of aloe vera gel for 2and half months. You can even try yashtimadhu taila that is liquorice root oil. If u want I will tell u how to prepare it
Hi! I have the EXACT same thing in the EXACT same spot! Lol, I'm so happy someone can relate. See your doctor, they can prescribe a topical cream for it. I've found the L'Occitane En Provence 25% Shea Butter Ultra Rich Cream helps so much (it burns less than other lotions I apply!) Also, it could be something you're eating (according to my doctor) or allergens. I'm thinking of seeing an allergy specialist... Goodluck!
I've had eczema and very dry skin since I was little. Ive been prescribed lots of special creams and have gotten lots of advice from my doctor. During the winter, my face does get red patches very often. The skin under my eyes becomes very flakey and papery like. My cheeks are usallythe main source of my patches.

I try to make sure that I use gentle cleansers, use face oils at night, apply moisturizers twice a day. I feel like another important thing is to drink a lot of water. I also try to avoid putting makeup around these patches and dry to go makeup free as much as possible.

I also try to not take hot showers. Hot showers dry out your skin making the patch more red and can also cause more pain. So, if you do prefer hot showers, avoid washing your face in the shower or getting your face wet all together. Just wash it when you get out of the shower. When I get out of the shower, I will tend to splash cold water on my face and pat it off gently with a soft towel. Then I will proceed with my skincare routine, washing my face gently (once a day with dry or sensitive skin). I avoid exfoliating because it will also make your face a lot dryer  (take my word for it). Then I will put my daily moisturizer and my face oil (before I go to sleep). If you have a special cream, don't put the oil on, just swap that with the medical cream.
Also try to avoid not touching it, it might feel satisfying in the moment but it will irritate it.

If this doesn't go away, go to your doctor, ask questions. They can simply prescribe you the cream, which will improve the process significantly.
I know exactly what everyone is going through with these red dry patches under their eyes that get extremely wrinkly.  Not to brag...but I have always had very youthful looking skin...no real issues until recently, these showed up under each eye and the inside corners of my eyelids were a bit red and dry as well.  My actual eyes looked a little glossy...I thought I immediately that it was an allergic reaction...but to what?   Nothing had changed in my routine....EXCEPT for a new granola bar I tried because they were out of my regular ones....the new ones contained CHIA SEEDS...which I had never eaten in my life....well ate them for about a week...and my eyes got puffy etc....then  I ran out of them and didn't have any for about a week....but not putting two and two together, I bought another box and ate a bar one day and two the next...I woke up the following morning with the worst red patches beneath my eyes....I went to the doctor and she said...yup definitely allergic reaction....both seasonal and told me to stop the granola bars with chia seeds!   The patches have almost cleared up....below one eye is back to normal, but the one that was the worst, is still a little dry and barely red, but still puckered  and wrinkly looking....frankly it's pissing me off cause it makes me look aged!   But what really helped was OLIVE OIL...a good quality one...I just slathered it on at night twice to three times a night....in between I made a mixture of 3/4 cup coconut oil, 1 Tbsp olive oil and 1/4 cup finely ground oatmeal....hopefully one day my face will be completely back to normal...just seems like it's taking forever!