Strange brown stain like things on my hands

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Hi!
So I woke up this morning and while I was washing my hands I realized I had brown stains on them (the palm side).  So I tried washing them off but it wouldn't go away.  I have never experienced something like this before and both hands (palm side) hurts to touch.  They are more on my left hand but I do have some on my right hand as well.

If you could msg me back with some type of answer to this it would be gratefully appreciated.

This discussion is related to brown stains on hands.

Do you remember any trauma or injury to the site?

Are you handling any chemicals at work?

Do you any itching associated with the lesions? It would be very difficult to say anything without a clinical examination.

You could take some pain relief medications for the pain and try some hot fomentation. Do not try to rub the area too hard.

Post us about how you are doing and if you have any doubts.

Regards.
No I don't remember any trauma or injury to my hands.  I work at a pizza store.  I've been working there for around 9 months now and never experienced any problems.  My hands aren't as sore anymore and it seems as though the stains are fadding a little; however, I can still noticed the discolouration.  They are a little itchy but not much.

Thank you for responding!

You should keep them well moisturized, calamine lotion would help with the itching.

If the lesions persist, or worsen , it would be advisable to consult a doctor. This would help with a confirmed diagnosis and further plan of management.

Let us know about what your doctor advises and post us about how you are doing.

Regards.

This has just happened to me out of the blue.  The stains are on the sides of my left hand fingers and at the base of my thumb on the palm side up.  Fortunately, my left hand doesn't hurt or itch.  My right thumb tip has a stain as well.  I'm so relieved to hear that the skin will slough off.

Thank you so much for posting
I just woke up this morning with the same brown spots. I have them on the inside of my fingers and palms. They dont hurt or anything but my hands are a bit swollen. I dont understand what it can be when i just brushed my teeth washed my face and went straight to bed. I checked my bed to see if there was anything there but there was nothing. I also haad popped blood vessels in my face when i woke up
Hello Tamor,  My 9year old son had his capillaries break in his face and now a week later he has a brownish rustsih colored rash on his hands.  Did you ever find out what this was??? Both of these symptoms were when he woke up in the morning.
So weird.. I too woke up this morning.. and had weird brown stains on my hands. Almost every finger had a little bit on it, my palm, it was embedded in some of my nail crevices,  and it either reminded me of self-tanner-colored brown(which I don't use) or dried blood (which I thoroughly checked my body.) I washed it off but it still stained my hand. I checked my head board to my bed to see if maybe finish came off if my hands were sweaty and I didn't see anything nor did any finish come off at touch. I checked my pillowcase because it is brown and maybe thought dye came off of it. Nothing!! I'm freaking out.. I have been taking thuja oil homeopathic stuff.. which I wondering if that would be the cause but why would it only be on one hand?!? It's just really weird and I did have a weird sleep last night of tossing and turning and then waking up to find my hand creepily stained.. Ugh..  
Strange but true.Sometime ago a college girl came with a similar history and my impression was tinea nigra and clotrimazole did clear it.Wil it grow over night?Fungi do grow.They occur on the palms and stain brown to black
Let me tell you the followup of this problem.From the same hostel this girl came two other girls with smilar findings but the staining was more like india ink splashed on their palms,I never got a fungus testing one but clotrimazole again cleared it.Only right now I got reminded after this quesion.Wish I had got a scraping done.
i woke up this morning with stains between all of my fingers.. it looks like self tanning lotion got stuck or something... they're not itchy or irritating.. what would it be from?
Same exact thing happen to me this morning.  Tried washing my hands for a few minutes and it started to fad away.  Couldnt tell if it was from the outside or inside of my skin.  Although, there was some orange/brown in between my finger nails as well so not sure.  So weird!
This happened to me this morning also.

Definitely looks like self tanner residue or faint iodine stains, but does not wash off. The first 2 fingers on my right hand look like I dipped them to the 2nd knuckle, first 2 fingers on left hand and both thumbs to the knuckle on the palmer side only and some miscellaneous spots on my right palm.

No swelling or itching that I've noticed.

I am glad to hear from so many that this should wear off, but I wish there was a clear reason why something like this would happen over night. Very odd.
my hands smell weird. there are brown big stains on my 2 palms and a little on my chest & on my arms. i dont know how this happened. i have not been involved with any PEPPERS(stupid idea with peppers) nor have i been involved with any chemicals. i need ANSWERS ASAP! HELP! im very worried im 15! (: and im a virgin anyy people wanna Hook up!?(; JUST KIDDING! but yeah i need medication and im serious about myy MANOS! (hands in spanish)
Maybe it does have something to do with food! I didn't eat any peppers but I touched a tomatillo last night. I was going to add it to my tomato sauce and changed my mind. I only touched it with my left hand (the iodine-like stained one). I was still freaking out a bit til I read the posts here. No more tomatillos for me.
I woke up this morning and I had brown stains on both side of my fingers and non on my palms, I had peppers last night. Is that why my fingers are stained?
I think you should go see an Endocrinologist or any Dr. and get some blood work. Ask them to check your hormone levels: ACTH and Cortisol.

I remember researching the same thing about 2 months ago online: "discoloration/ pigmentation on knuckles/ hands that had appeared overnight and wouldn't remove. I thought it was nothing, I was wrong. I saw my dr. and the first thing she said to me was ADDISON'S DISEASE. I was referred to an Endocrinologist and apparently I have Addison's Disease. I am being transfered to see a specialist at Cedars Sinai this month. Apparently brownish discoloration is the first prominent sign of Addison's. Please do NOT dismiss this. GO SEE YOUR DR. This could be serious, or it could be nothing- whatever you do, don't just ignore it. I have always been healthy my whole life. I live a totally health- conscious lifestyle and maintain a veggetarian diet. I don't know how I contracted this disease but I did. My point is, it can happen to anyone. See your doctor.
How did it go , I woke up this morning with a brown Kniuckle and a ring around one finger.
ive had brown stains on my hand for the past month. its only on my right hand outside not palm. and i also have one on the right side of my belly button
Your funny. I am looking for answers too. I came home from Columbus and I drank chocolate milk on my way driving. When I got to work, I noticed a brown thick line going down the palm of my left hand. It was dark, but my mind wanted to think I got chocolate milk on my hand. As I was cleaning & washing dishes, I was amazed it wasn't washing off!  Now I am trying to find rhyme and reason for it, some answers without racking up a medical bill. Good luck to you.
Hi both of my daughters had that happen this morning looks like dried blood or iodine both of there hands and on one of my daughters feet one is 15 years old and 13teen here freaked out its seems like no one has the answer how are you now is it still happening to you.
Yesterday felt very nauseated and shaky( I don't know if this is related) and I figured it was just because I needed to eat something. We had dinner. I'm a very health conscious person normally, but this past week I haven't eaten very healthy (not sure if this has something to do with it). Just before bed I noticed rust/ henna colored stains all over the palm of my left hand. I tried washing it off, but it won't come off. It doesn't smell or itch or hurt. It's just there. I woke up in the middle of the night from a stomach ach and used the bathroom. When I did, I noticed that some marks are now showing up on my right palm too. Anyone know what this is?
DId you ever find out what was the cause of the orange stain? Its been occuring to me. I'm a guy, and mistified as to why it happens. I have fermented cod liver oil, and sometimes use chilli olive oil as a conditioner, but am not sure it is this causing it.
i have kidney problems is that the cause of my skin change
100% Aloe Vera will stain your skin yellowish-brown. Woke up this morning with the same thing and realized it was from putting too much raw aloe on a sunburn! Left patches all over fingers and hands!
Did you ever find out what the cause of the discoloration was? About 2weeks ago I noticed my right hand had brown marks on the inner parts of my fingers. Then this morning I had a brown streak down the top of my right ring finger.
Hi. This morning when I signing to my wife as communicated. All of sudden I noticed my both palms turned brownish stained and looks like some kind of 'dye' and odor kind of weird-like and I tried to rubbed them off by warm water and soap wasn't off easy thing to do. Plus, my right foot underneath seen some spots of stained. But gradually going away itself. My wife think I must have 'Sleep walking'...
I had the same thing happen to me. It's usually due to washing your hands often with antibacterial soap. Some bacteria become resistant and start to grow whenever they are exposed to anything that's oxidated. That's why when people use mouthwash a lot, they get "black hairy tongue"(also happened to me). To say the least, I was totally freaked out, but fear not! It is Completely Harmless. It should clear right up if you reduce the amount you wash your hands and put lotion on after to keep them from drying out and cracking. Hope this helped! Also, regarding the mouthwash, if you notice a brownish tongue, stop using mouthwash and it should be fully gone in 2-3 days!