Sudden Onset Rash/Acne?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Sudden Onset Rash/Acne?

I am 18 years old, female, with fair to medium skin.  I have had very few complaints about any acne/blemishes on my skin since I was very young - although I did have mild acne when I was 16.  I went on birth control pills in May 2006, and since then, my acne all but disappeared - save the odd blemish.

Recently, I moved from the United States back to the United Kingdom (where I was born) to study in university.  I am currently living with family members who have no known skin complaints that I could catch.

When I moved back three months ago, I stopped taking my birth control pills, and continued as normal.  Within the last four weeks, my skin seems to have developed a mind of its own - I had a few blemishes on my face when I was due to come on, and afterwards, I developed some blemishes on my chest and neck.  I use Clearasil to wash my face and body to prevent spots, but it seems to have done nothing to help the blemishes on my body.  

Also, I have developed blemishes on my back within the last two weeks.  At first they were mild and located mainly around my shoulders, although I have just noticed that they have spread significantly within the course of 24 hours to the majority of my upper back.

The blemishes are rarely painful, just red and inflamed.  I thought they might be acne, but very few of them seem like pimples.  I use a combination of Clearasil cleanser and tea tree oil/witch hazel treatment on the blemishes, and nothing seems to have any effect.

As the onset of these symptoms was fairly sudden, I think that it might be an allergic reaction to the detergent/fabric softener used to wash my laundry.  However, I haven't had the opportunity to test this theory, and I am looking for some advice before I see a doctor.

As I said, I have had very few to no complaints of body acne through out my life - and at age 18, it seems fairly late for such a sudden onset and in such a high number.  I have tested for meningitis - the blemishes disappear underneath a glass, so I am fairly certain that this is not the case.  My diet is that of a typical student - I do drink alcohol, but not in excess, I drink more than 8 glasses of water a day, and although my diet isn't perfect, I do eat my veg more than I eat pizza.

Any and all help would be appreciated, thank you very much.
Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers