Sun Allergy

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Sun Allergy

I have lived in Spain (from UK) for 7 years....i had a bi-pass 3years ago at he age of 68...10 months ago i started getting itchy rashes on hands ,arms and thighs
I have worked in the tropics in the past and enjoyed the Sun here in Spain, then suddenly this !!
I am on BP drugs (BetaBlocker, vein flow etc), i have had these analysed and changed to see if there is a response agaist the Sun....no change !
I am trying to find an answer as i dont really want to spend my life under an umbrella and swamped in 50% sunblock
These itchy rashes can be due to solar urticaria or hives also. Hives (medically known as urticaria) are red, itchy, raised areas of skin that appear in varying shapes and sizes. They have a tendency to change size rapidly and to move around, disappearing in one place and reappearing in other places, often in a matter of hours.

Many cases of hives are "idiopathic," meaning no cause is known. Others may be triggered by viral infections or medications. Apply calamine lotion and take some antihistaminics like Benadryl. If the symptoms persist then topical steroids may be needed. For this please consult a dermatologist.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.