Tender skin - sore to the touch

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Viewing 201-202 comments:
i'm so glad i found these posts. i felt so alone wondering what this was. from my belly button to my right side my skin hurts, clothes and bed covers all hurt. its not agony, just very uncomfortable and the tenderness does move around the area. its been very hard to explain to people when theres nothing to see! thank you all for your posts!
Trying to act like an eighteen year old I hurt my back working out at the gym.
After various remedies and muscle relaxers helped me recover, I noticed that skin pain (like sunburn) on my left side never went away. It hurts to wear a shirt. There are no signs on my skin or any reason why I should even have painful skin. My wife had Fibromyalgia and this is much more localized, and doesn't move around like her pain did.
I was referred to this page.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24846747
mine also started after using muscle relaxers for back spasms. has yours gone away? i keep hoping this is temporary. it feels like shingles but i had the vaccine in Jan and theres not a mark on me. i have tried every lotion just for some relief.
I do nails in a salon, and yesterday one of my clients mentioned this pain to me (I have it as well, but I refer to it as a wandering pain). I was so excited to hear that someone else was experiencing this!

This pain is so bizarre! There's never any visual evidence of a bruise or something similar, but the skin feels like you've been beaten with a baseball bat! The last occurrence was on my left outer thigh, but it's happened on both forearms, right shin, left outer upper arm....even at the base of my skull on the right side that even felt like my HAIR hurt! I have done many internet searches on "wandering" skin pain, or skin pain that comes and goes, and the only thing that consistently comes up is fibromyalgia and that didn't seem to fit.

BUT.... This client of mine recognized that the pain happens after she eats a lot of SUGAR or binge eats. And it doesn't have to only be sweets that you're bingeing on, it could be carbs like chips and bread, because your body will TURN that into sugar on its own.

This was like a lightbulb for me.... I had never made the correlation between SUGAR and the pain before....it totally makes sense FOR ME. Also, when you do an Internet search for SUGAR AND SKIN PAIN a lot of interesting things come up that make more sense to ME.

I lost 145lbs about 11 yrs ago, so I basically eat healthy, but when I have "those moments" where I eat something high in sugar or carbs.....a few hours later, or even the next day, the pain will begin and lasts a couple of days.

I'm curious to see if anyone else feels is is correct for them. Our bodies sure are weird yet miraculous things!
I've been reading a lot of the posts. There seem to be similarities but not all are the same issue. In my case, I break out in hives....for no apparent reason. The skin becomes slightly red, is raised up and feel hard and painful to the touch. This condition comes and goes. I once had it for over a year, every day, somewhere on my body several would pop up. Anti-hystimine works to calm it down and then it goes away.

But, for the past year, touch on my arms and legs feels like I'm pushing on a bruise. It almost feels like there is a hard substance surrounding my nerves or blood vessels.  I have no clue what it is, and haven't taken issue with the doctor. I'm 66 and a woman, so other women know what i'm talking about...the doctors think we are looking for attention, its all in our heads. it *****. I take out a heating massager and work on my legs and arms every day and it never seems to break it down. I am clueless what else I can do. So, I went and bought a far Infrared lamp. I'm going to use it everyday. Supposedly, far infrared penetrates down past your top skin layer. I will post my results...I just got it today. 5/8/2015
Avatar n tn
I'm amazed I found this board. It would be nice though if they started newest comments to first. It took a lot of scrolling and reading to get here.
The main thing I seem to have found, is that nobody seems to know what we are all experiencing. Everyone's experience is a little different. I have to say first I haven't talked to my doctor about this yet. Mostly for reasons already mentioned. But my story goes.....I started noticing this a couple months or so ago. It has not gone away or seem to have gotten worse. Mine is on my left leg, on the inside calf running right along the bone. I am a pretty healthy 59 yr old woman. Have any men reported this? I didn't read all the posts.  Guess I mostly wanted to ask if anyone gets any kind of definitive answer (aside from fibromyalgia) could you please share?
This is my first time with this pain. I first developed back pain awhile ago. I have been sleeping on a hard mattress(not my bed) for awhile. But then I noticed 2 nights ago a soreness to my back(skin) for the last several days(3) and now it is spread to my stomache & crotch area. I'm confused. I also developed on my right leg above the knee to the thigh. I have never experienced this before. I wonder is this related to my back pain it has been a problem for past year but gotten worse in last few weeks. When I was young I had a pinched nerve & that was painful. I'm now in my forties. I'm thinking of seeing my doctor this week. Any advice I would truly appreciate. Pain is like a soreness, prickly feeling. When sitting for a long time & I get up it feels more painful. Thanks.
Wow, I can not believe how many people have this issue. I thought I was the only one who experienced this problem. I would love some information on this problem. It is very uncomfortable and annoying. My fiance can barley lay his hand on my back without it hurting or me having a shirt on hurts so bad!
I have been experiencing the same symptoms. Did you get a diagnosis?
I suspect some have so.Ethiopia v different go I g on but wonder if some may have RA starting, the pain with This  tends to move around d the body.  Burning  knuckles when you tuck shirt into waistband, brushing against fabric or other items could be indicative of arthritis. I've not researched it but perhaps yo might want to.
WOW.  I didn't realize how common this was.  Mine just started yesterday for the first time ever.  It is about a 3-4 inch streak on my shin.  Not red or bruised, but the bed sheets touching it puts me through the roof.  I had a non-itchy rash last week, went to doc and then used hydrocortisone cream for a few days.  Then this started.  ?????
Hi im experiencing the same thing so uncomfortable I have a prominant vein directly under the patch thats sore or more of a long streak. Very strange
Hi did you see your doctor re this? Im suffering the same thing on my upper inside thigh but if I press firmly on the sore area I can feel a very prominent vein which is also sore.
Could this be a varicose vein?  If you press just below and above the knee is this also tender?  Varicose Veins are not always protruding but do tend to be sore and ache even when they cannot be seen on the surface of the skin.
Sorry to say dear, but you better go do doc....sounds like nerve damage from diabetes. If you don't have diabetes then it could be fibromyalga (fibromyalgia).
Lyica does help some patients, but beware it cause you to gain a lot of weight. If it is diabetes nerve damage, again sorry to say it will get worse and there is no cure for it. I have been on heavy pain killers for years now and they cause another set of problems. I pray it is not diabetes nerve damage. Good luck.
Well, sorry to say, glad to hear I am not the only one. Sounds like hundreds if not thousands have this "whatever it is".  I have had this happen a few times over the years, but not as long and "moving" as it is this time. Started on a small spot on my arm at inside of elbow. That one is gone and now it is on my left buttock and up my back.

Yes it is very annoying. I take heavy pain killers for diabetic nerve pain and they don't stop that mystery pain.  And it sounds like I would be wasting my time going to the doctor.  Good luck to everyone, I hope you all find answers.
I am having the same problem on top of my thighs...skin very sensitive to the touch.  No rash, no diabetes, no fibromyalgia.  Just a mystery.  I guess no one knows.  I've been watching Talks about wheat and inflammation. I'm wondering if going off GMO wheat would help.
Hi , I am a 14 year old female and  I was surprised to wake up one morning with the same symptoms you are all describing . I have sensitive areas of skin around my fingers top of m my legs, and shoulders . There are no rashes or burn marks to show for and medication for inflamattion doesn't do diddly squat . I have a high tolerance for pain and I hate going to the doctor so they can tell me they can't do anything or give me a medication that doesn't work. I KNOW THAT IF I DON'T GET HELP SOON that I will deal with this for however long it last because that is just how I am . Has anyone of my age experienced this ....sickness.
Have you tried applying plain skincare lotion to the sensitive areas just after bathing?

Those areas may have for some reason (after becoming sensitized to the synthetic components in clothing?) have become dry of skin oils, and skincare lotion will replace those.  It's also why some people just have to wear cotton only fabrics, and watch out for harsh detergents in the laundry (running the wash a second time with no detergents greatly helps in rinsing out those residues).

If diligently using skincare lotion is the solution, you should expect notable progress after a half dozen applications over a week.
I have been looking and googling this thing for month and finaly found others with same .I have had this for years,some time on lower leg sometime on upper leg, then to the side of my rib cage then the other side.Sometime it will last for a day or two,sometime only for a day and then maybe not for a year or so.But want I do is soak the area with rubbing alcohal (alcohol) every half hour or so and it will go away,then a day or month or year it will happen again.Have not talked to my Doctor about it because I have never had the pain when I have a Doctor appointment.Sure hope we can find what this realy is, I am an 81 year old man have had this for years.By Henry/October 5,2015
there are multiple things it could be, both vitamin B deficiency and diabetes can cause this to happen, as well as nerve damage. If this feeling is accompanied with tiredness or sleep problems you may have fibromyalgia
Hello!

I have had these symptoms 11 months. Pain moved from head to legs. First positive results i have noticed after starting eating hot peppers(one chili per lunch).Two weeks after pain is gone.
I have this same issue the last two days.
Yesterday it was just inner elbow pain, no signs of injury. Today, the skin is very sensitive to anything and cold things touching the area hurt like heck. Rest of my skin is also sensitive to the cold, like I have the flu, but I have no other symptoms.

I've been getting this randomly since I was a teen. Totally random as to when it happens or where.
I have just started this tonight.I have like a band that wraps around my thigh. Skin is very sensitive and almost raw feeling. I also have fibromyalgia, so I wonder if it is caused by that.
I've been having this pain/sensitivity on the skin on the outside of my upper thighs for awhile now. It happens randomly and not consistent. I haven't been able to identify any triggers. Upon research it appears that it could be something called allodonia (I don't think I'm spelling it right) but it's common in people with fibromyalgia. It's caused by neurological issues. I'm going to ask my doctor about it when I go see him and see what we come up with. Hope this helps I'll try to write back if I get anymore information.
I have this, too!  For a couple of decades now.  Never been diagnosed.  2-3 days at a time every month or two.  About 3inch diameter spots with no visible sign painful to touch usually on my arms or legs.  I say "my skin hurts".  Nice to know I'm not the only one!
Very interesting about the Splenda
I usually don't use Splenda, but I have been using quite a bit over the last two weeks.  It's the only new thing that I've been exposed to lately. I'm giving it up immediately. This pain is weird and difficult to explain.  Splenda is the only thing that makes sense.  
If there is a sort of rash it could be Shingles.  I don't have the rash, just the sore skin....it started with a spot on my wrist, now there is one on my hip and my lower back.  
Oh god I've just skimmed through all of these and there has been a very sensible answer given several times but people still saying "I don't know what it could be" GRRRR

The HSV1 or even 2 virus causes these extreme skin soreness symptoms, the pain and soreness will keep you up at night!! You CANNOT test for herpes unless you get blisters and NOT EVERYONE gets blisters, just because you DONT GET blisters doesn't mean the virus isn't living in your lower back causing havoc!!
herpes is incurable and undetectable and is often triggered by a ladies monthly or stress.

Herpes symptoms vary they're irregular and can stop and start whenever it wants! Because that's the nature of the virus there's no rules it makes its own.

I'm sorry to say by the sounds of it you have HERPES just like over 70% of the population so stop wasting your Drs time take ibrobufen look after yourself and ride it out.

just to clarify your dr cannot cure or test for herpes. If your experiencing skin soreness akin to someone rubbing off a few layers with sandpaper then the chances are its HERPES. Now if I see "I don't know what it could be" one more time I'm going to expload...

Leah
I recommend the book Medical Medium by Anthony William. I've had other issues that have progressively become worse since the birth of my son - severe food sensitivities, mood swings, asthma, lumps on my body, skin issues, etc. This book has been at the very least a message of hope for me. Now, just this week, I have symptoms similar to some of you, soreness and a sort of burn-like pain on both sides of my upper back and under arm areas. It's very sensitive to touch, like how I felt when I had mono 13 years ago. I'm hoping the prayer and simple diet suggestions in this book will help.
I hope it helps some of you, too!
Actually there are several other causes.  Find a doctor who listens. This is a very common sign of Fibromyalgia.
I also arrived here for the same pain in the exact same place! It hurts in my pinky bones down through my wrist into my forearm. It is very sensitive to touch and temperature. And sometimes it just aches extremely bad, sort of like growing pains. It happens in random parts of my body at random times and I have finally decided to start figuring out if anyone else feels the same! I have no clue what it is but it hurts and I feel like no one else gets it.
I had this in Dec 15 on my right leg down to my foot and went to urgent care at Kaiser.  They listened and told me it was Cellulitis and placed me on Antibiotics.  The first round didn't work so they gave me another round and the pain went away but........in April it came back on the other leg.  Went back to the doctor's who laughed me out of the room saying there's nothing wrong.  We need to find someone who will listen and find out what can be done about this issue.  anyone know of a doctor in California who knows about this issue?
I don't agree that it's definitely Herpes. I believe that that's a possibility for SOME of the cases described on this forum, but not all.
I have the herpes virus and have recurring issues in one of my ears. every few years it flares up, but I assure you it is quite different than what I'm hearing others describe as I have had the same painful skin symptoms for over thirty years. I will get pain on a forearm, upper thigh, abdominal area, under arms, and/or back. The pain migrates to different areas at different times UNLIKE Shingles or Herpes which tends to affect a single nerve line and doesn't migrate. The pain can last anywhere from an hour to 2 or 3 days with varying intensity. Herpes pain starts slowly over a few days until it's quite bad, and can present with blistering, but, at least in my experience never lasts less than a week. Having said that quick action with an antiviral can stop it in it's tracks... at least for me. Took me over 20 years to catch on to the warning signs though.
I have NO idea what causes the skin pain. I've never gone after medical intervention for it, as it always goes away and is so intermittent. I'd LOVE to know what it is though as I have it in 3 places right now, and it really does wear on you after a while.
Hi Lavender

I have the same problem, the pain usually starts from my buttocks down to my feet, also cant sit on a cold toilet or surface it makes it worse, my feet get so bad that i can not walk on any cold surface.  It doesnt last long sometimes 2 days but it is very uncomfortable and stressfull. Wish someone can diagnose this and tell us what to do to avoid or resolve this
Bingo. Your description fits me to a tee. Passed others because I only feel the unpleasant pain with slight touches. Whenever I apply stronger pressure there's nothing. My "pain" is left forarm and Achilles tendon. Haven't seen a doctor yet just noticed it today.
Avatar n tn
Hello--I just found your (old-2010) comment on a thread about skin tenderness in upper thigh, which I am suffering from...just wondering if you had gotten any answers...Much appreciate any info as docs don't know.
thank you.
Poppy
Avatar n tn
Just going to throw this out there--I was convinced this skin tenderness/pain had something to do with hemorrhoid flareup but specialist says 'no way'..does anyone else have this experience?
My symptoms are same as most on here...feels like I've been dragged on gravel! Mostly back of my thighs (sometimes just one thigh) and almost always on my buttocks.
It's miserable.
Hey.. I read your post while looking for the same problem and came to the conclusion that its not just Splenda.  I used a sugar substitute yesterday and today and have exactly the same symptoms as you.. I will not use that sugar substitute again for a week and see how it goes. If it goes away, I will have the sugar substitute again in my coffee and let you know what the outcome is.
Have issues with areas of sore skin since the age of twelve. Started on belly button area while sick in bed with a bad flu. My mom said she has had the same sore skin issue a long time. I only got the sore skin now and then. When I was a young bride I would get it bad in different areas. Couldn't touch those areas and when in a leg my leg feels painful inside too. I had noticed any time something rubbed my skin like a massage or something, then that sore skin would come back. I told my ob/gyn about it and he said it was neuralgia. The nerves in the skin getting irritated. But don't know why. He told me to take all b with c vitamins. So I would take vit. B 50 with 500 vit. C. He also gave me vit. B shots for awhile. It helped some, not a lot. I quit taking them. Do only now and then. The only thing I found to help the sore skin and pain are rubs like bengay and taking pain pills. Strange thing it had stopped for about ten years then came back. Strange. But I get it less and less now. I am having a bad case of it now. I'm going to talk to a doctor about it soon. So all I know is its supposed to be from the nerves in the skin.
Sorry. I don't know why those weird numbers and letters came up. I must have typed wrong. Knucklehead. Lol
I have the same thing with various sized, patchy, skin tenderness moving around the different parts of the body. It must have started after my older daughter's birth over 10 years ago, and it has continued ever since. The tenderness stays foe few days to several days and it moves around all the time. The severity of pain isn't too bad except it is very annoying and bothersome to touch the affected area. I've gone to see a neurologist about this and no use as she didn't know what I know talking about and probably thought I was making all this up. I understand that this can be tactile allodynia or fibromyalgia or post-viral related. Hope some neurologists, dermatologist can address this more in details.
Hi I have had the same symptoms for a long time. But this is the first time I have seen this website. This is great in a way knowing I'm not alone. I found the two word entry, "tactile allodynia". Did some looking into it and found it describes my symptoms perfectly. Gonna try to eat better and got some b12. I will see what happens. I suggest everyone do the web search on that. You will find it very helpful.

Happens to me all the time. Computers do not do apostrophes in writing and that is why your weird numbers showed up. Also, I found this thread helpful to my tender skin on my back and shoulder. Thanks for posting everyone.

Thank you for this thread I also have mentioned it to doctors and people in my life and the only way I could describe it was that it kind of feels like metal plates under your skin .I am having the most painful one right now. I noticed I get it a lot when I am dehydrated or a night of drinking alcohol .but today I woke up and had a lot of water though out the day.I usually wake up with it but this time it started in the evening .I find hot baths and rolling something on my skin and moving helps .if anyone has more tips please do share .thank you
But I had a shingles vaccine  several years ago and was told I wouldn't need another one. I have been having this sensation of my left side; like a painful rash that is invisible. I have had back surgery recently (4 months ago) that didn't help my problem--severe pain in my left leg.--and I wonder if there is a connection. I am 77 and am not sexually active.
Viewing 201-202 comments: