Tender skin - sore to the touch

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Tender skin - sore to the touch

Hi -

I am hoping that someone might have some feedback on an issue I have been experiencing over the last year with various areas of skin.  It started with my legs and back but now has moved to my face.  Basically, for about 24 - 48 hours, an area of skin (generally from the size of a softball to basketball) will become extremely tender and sore to the touch ... almost as if it were bruised significantly.  It is so tender that clothes brushing against it is painful.  The problem is, there is no visual evidence of it.  I went to the doctor and felt as though he was insinuating that I was making up the symptoms because he could not see anything.   Very, very frustrating.  Again, just wondering if anyone here has ever experienced anything similar.  At the moment, the skin on my entire face aches and it is difficult to even take a shower.  If it follows my past episodes, it will fade within a day or two so it is not too much of a problem but it would definitely be nice to get a better understanding of what is happening inside my body and if there is anything I can do to prevent/relieve it.

I thank you in advance for your time and help.

Regards,
Stef
yeah, I have the same issue. It started with a pain in my lower back and ribs/sides. Then 2 days later it disappeared and I was fine for a full 24 hours. The day after that, the arch of my feet and each ankle had the same exact feeling. It hurt to touch but even when I wasn't touching it, there was still a pain. But it felt like I had either pulled something or i had bruised myself (which Im not ruling out either, because Im quiet clumsy). The next day It was my right shoulder and 3 days later (now) its my left wrist and thumb. Its driving me crazy. I wish I knew what was going on.

I dont do anything strenuous around the house. I stay at home and watch my little brothers all day and clean. So I really dont think that would have anything to do with it. Anything regarding this would be super.

-Angie

(Also, I just noticed that you posted this about 2 months ago. Has this cleared up at all? If so, how? Any pointers?)
I arrived here while looking for information - I'm having the exact same problem right this moment with the outside of my arm, between elbow and wrist, and extending down to the outside of my pinky. The lightest of touches is very painful, and there's no swelling, no bruising, nothing to see at all.

Given the way my pinky feels, I'm thinking it's a nerve thing. (Ulnar nerve, I guess, in my case right this moment.)

Thoughts, anyone?
Hi all  yeah I have had this for years i usually get the sensation before I get a cold/rundown then it goes when i feel better, but recentley I had this sensation in my little finger paticularly it moves around my body in patches and feels like you say nerve pain  the doctor dismissed it  i don't blame her aas i have no weakness or rash i am going to record thid to see what pattern i can spot ? i will keep you updated
lou
Hi, I know exactly what you are talking about! I have had this condition for many years now I'm 63, my mother and my sister experienced this condition and now my daughters do. It seems to be when I have been on buses or trains, or if someone with a cold has been to visit, almost like picking up a virus in your skin, if that is possible. To me it feels like I have been dragged across a gravel path.

Hope this helps

Jo
I have also had this condition for many years... i have never been to the doctor for it because i thought they would all think i was crazy. im glad to know that there are other people who get this problem as well. i get this at different times, usually about 2-3 months apart from one episode to the next. all parts of my body have been affected. legs, arms, hands, feet, stomach... everywhere. it is so painful when you touch it or your clothes touch it. it usually lasts about 4-6 days with me. no visible evidence of any bruising or strenuous activity to cause the pain. my husband thinks im crazy. does anyone have a name for this condition or know what it is or what causes it?
If you can feel the pain, it is real. I have it too and it's very painful. I'm seeing the dr again today but I don't hold out much hope because gp's don't know much about skin conditions. And they don't seem to know anything at all about this particular problem but I think we should all tell our drs because then they will realise that lots of ppl do have it and it is real. Perhaps they might start to investigate these things. Even if it is 'psychosomatic', the pain is real and there should be something that can be done about it.
I am having the same problem right now and it has been going on for about 2 months. The sensitivity starts about 4 inches above my knee on my left leg and has now gone to part of my stomach. No one seems to know anything about it or what to do for it. It feels sensitive and tender to touch. In fact it feels like something has rubbed my skin over and over and has irritated it.
I have been under a lot of stress...moved my parents here 4 yrs ago, then father fell and broke his neck in Jan. then died in Apr, now taking care of mother so maybe stress has something to do with it.
Also I have been using Splenda (a lot) and now have found out that it causes skin problems along with a boat load of other health related problems. I have cut out Splenda and now I am waiting to see if leg and stomach will get any better. Do you use Splenda? I am trying to figure out what we all have in common other than this skin tenderness. There is no outward signs that anything is wrong...no rash, no ANYTHING.
This is the first time I have this happen to me and it freaked me out. So I was trying to found out if there is anyone else with this strange skin thing going on. I keep trying to explain the feeling to my husband and he looks at me like I'm crazy so I'm scared to see a doctor about it cause I'm sure he will do the same. The back of my legs and the bottom of my feet are super tender for no reason at all. I have no swelling, red marks and this by far isn't a pulled muscle it feels nothing like it. Have any of you figured out this thing yet?
It sounds like the shingles that I had over the summer months.  I have been under the highest amount of stress I've ever had.  The shingles broke out and the symptoms are just what you're describing.  Since it's a virus it makes sense from those of you who have speculated about a virus.  I have had it in the back of my upper legs before but it was short lived.  I think my body finally said enough is enough!!  I went to an acupuncturist and took herbs he prescribed.  You might try that if you have one nearby.
I have suffered on and off with this for years, usually when i am coming down with something. Recently however i am experiencing it without feeling unwell. I too can only describe it as if my nerve ending on my skin are hypersensitive and it can happen practically all over my body or move from area to area. Showers and clothing prove painful when my skin is like this. I got a bout of it a few weeks ago and it lasted 5 to 6 days then it went. However it has appeared on the inside of my left arm from my elbow upwards and is extremly painful. I too feel it is probably viral related but like many of you have not been to the doctors about it for fear they dismiss me as being crazy. I will keep researching online to see if i can find anything that may be linked to what we describe and will post on here with a link if i do.
Well I to have the same issue as everyone else.  It started a few days ago when I came down with a common but nasty cold...(I don't get colds often at all first cold in 3 years)  Well the cold has calmed down about 70% and I have been dealing with the tender skin started on triceps area of arm and then has really had the most pain on my upper back -shoulder to shoulder and has really been painful.  What caught my attention when looking up to see if anyone had experienced my symptoms was the pain when wearing a shirt,no muscle pain,no signs of any rashes or anything for that matter.  The way I explained to my wife is it almost feels like hat hair on the areas of pain but much worse...and when I get home and take off my shirt it feels as if there is a heat lamp above my area's of pain.  I rate the pain a 3-4 out of 10 but it has its moments were its a 6+ but goes away similar to a crap pain would sharp then fades after 15 secs.  I really don't think my post will help anyone...This page seems to sound like a broken record...As there are no explanations of what this could be...Best luck to everyone dealing with this annoying pain..
Hey James, My story sounds EXACTLY like yours.  Skin is very sensitive to touch or when clothes rubbing against it.  Started on right tricep, then 2 days later felt a spot on the left side of my right shoulder blade.  Both area still affected for 7 days now.  Not getting any worse but not getting any better.  Shingles has been mentioned but with no rash showing up, I don't think it's shingles.  Also read about being related to Herpes, I guess either 1 or 2.  Does anybody else on this board have Herpes?
Me my mother and aunty suffer from all these symptoms and have done for years. We have noticed it always just before you are poorly with a cold or flu virus. After looking it up on the Internet I'm amazed how many people suffer from this mystery skin pain and there is no name for the condition? My partner came down with a cold two days ago and I have just started to soreness above the backs of my knees. with me the pain always rises up to the top of my legs and makes it uncomfortable to sit on the toilet then it goes down to my feet and toes. My guess is with in a week I will have the cold swell!
i have now in the top part of my leg.very painful.does anything help. jo
Sounds like you are all talking about Fibromyalgia:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001463/
I have had this condition for many years.  I am now 65.  I went to a neurologist when I was around 35.  He tested me for MS and decided it was NOT MS but couldn’t say what it was.  I haven’t bothered going to a Dr about it since but I do troll the web every so often.  This is the first string with so many people describing the same thing (which I don’t think is Fibro.)   What I get are very neatly formed, oval patches on the skin that are very tender to the touch and that every few minutes hurt intensely for a few seconds.  So they ate tender maybe a 3 on a 1 to 10, but then throb with pain that can go up to an 8 or 9.  For me these patches are above my knees and below my ears, but mostly on my trunk.  The patches are not visible except when really bad and then just a rosiness.  They are warm to the touch.  I get an outbreak several times a year.  The only thing I have ever associated with an outbreak is eating too much sugar.  I got on a candida kick for a while a they did calm down.  (At that time I got them more often.)  When I get them now I can usually look back and see a high sugar intake for a while.  (I’m not diabetic or pre-diabetic and I have a moderate weight.)   I do eat better now than I did when I was 35.  So as to viruses, I did have chickenpox and all the other childhood diseases, since everyone my age did.  Since then I’ve gotten TB, Hep A, Herpes, Meningitis, quite a batch of possible causes.  This has been an interesting string.  I hope someone is watching it still.
It's remarkable to read all these accounts of exactly the same condition, that I also suffer with, and nobody can figure out what this is. I have had the condition off and on over the past several years. Recently I broke my arm and I wore a cast for 7 weeks. During this time I felt like I was having a poking and burning on that arm, which I would treat with alot of Ibuprofen and I would keep ice on the cast at that site, thinking the break was causing the pain. After the cast was removed, I realized the pain was the skin sensativity that I was all too familiar with, not the broken bone. The pain is always the most intense when something is touching the area. Can you imagine having a cast on it for 7 weeks?
But I still think the Ibuprofen and ice helped give me temporary relief. Has anyone else tried this simple treatment?
Hi I have just been scrolling through all this and its amazing.  I suffer exactly the same thing.  I have a pain at the top of my leg right under my buttock, but last night I had the same pain under my eyelid!  Its like a nerve thing, I thing I get it sitting on something cold or having a cold wind blowing.  I have had herpes before, but with this pain I don't get any rash or blisters, just such sore skin.  I also can't sit on the toilet especially if its cold.  It sounds like if you are run down or stressed the pain comes.  Not sure what to do about it though.
hello , my son is 19 and has had this going on for two mnths, i also have had this for many years took the doctor 5 years to tell me i have fibromyalga (fibromyalgia) . but right now my son is being tested for lymes . they say they have to rule out other things first  my sons skin is so sencative he cant where a shirt or have the wind blow on him . very pain full . hope this hhas help.
I have all the same symptoms, usually on one side of my face and head where my hair hurts as well.  Now, I am experiencing this same sensitivity on my right leg above my knee.  Very very painful.  No bruising and it seems other people are sharing this same condition.  I hope someone out there can shed some light on this.  Is it a form of neuralgia and nothing too serious to worry about?
I have had the same thing on my face.  The past few years it just happens out of nowhere.  I get out of bed one morning and my face hurts, just the skin on one side, like it should be bruised or something.  I do have sinusitus but am not sure there is anything that can be done for it.  My dr. always just prescribes nasal sprays during the winter months when it seems my allergies are worse here in the Midwest.  I wonder if anyone has had a diagnosis as it is really frustrating to not know what causes this.

I have had this same problem for seven years or so, it seems to be just before my menstral cycle, only last a day or so and it's awful. It somehow make me feel better to know I am not alone. I have never mentioned it o my doctor, I figured he would just think it was all in my head, and trust me it's not,as you all know or you wouldn't be reading this .. I am hoping it goes away soon, as I am getting older and finding new aches and pains to complain about ...lol
I have been doing research on-line because I, too, have been beginning to feel this raw tender pain. There are now several soft ball sized spots on my skin that hurt when I very lightly touch them, but no visual signs. It even hurts for my clothes to touch the spots. Everything that I keep coming across seems to indicate an auto-immune disorder, mainly fibro-myalgia. I have been gluten free for months because I was starting to notice celiac disease symptoms, food related, but I just went out to eat to a place where they did not have a gluten free menu, which caused me to end up eating from the regular menu. My skin is so tender and seems to have been a result of the gluten, my stomach was bloated after I ate, and I am now feeling a bit run down and tired as well. I think I will need to continue to look into the auto-immune/fibro-myalgia route & diet to avoid these flair ups. Hopefully this will help!
Hi all, I also suffer this. Recently I thought I had broken my ankle it was so bad. Nothing on MRI or xrays. Dr diagnosed tissue damage, even though all I was doing was walking up stairs. I now have it on top of my foot and it's a bit swollen and warm to touch. I do have psoriasis and Dr said it may be Psoriatic Arthritis, but there is no abnormalities on xrays. It could be a lot of things, like Coeliac disease, Lupus, Fibro-myalgia. I just know it has something to do with the relationship between my tissues and nerve endings.
I, too, am another sufferer.  I would describe it more as tissue pain rather than skin pain, as it hurts from under the skin when pressure is applied. I have had two episodes of this occuring, once last year and now this year for the past month.  It's always in my knee area, a soreness to the right of and below the knee on the fleshy part of my right leg.  It is a sensation of burning, and like one other commenter said, like being pulled over gravel, a burning, tingling sensation.  There is no visible sign whatsoever, no redness, no swelling; it looks exactly like the other knee, but when I touch it, it really hurts.  The pain I experienced last year went away after 3 months and I really wasn't aware that it was gone until I realized I was climbing into bed without screeching with the pain. This year it is on the opposite side of the kneeand again causes problems getting into bed or when I've bumped it on something. In short, it feels like a bruise when touched but without the accompanying black and blue marks.  If I don't touch it I am not aware that there is a sensibility in that area.  Very strange. I hope to just ignore it and maybe it will go away like the other time.  I hope!
i HAVE HAD THE SAME ISSUES.  The back of my thigh down to my calf hurts to touch, almost like how your skin hurts when u have the flu.  The only thing is Im not sick and it is only on my back side of left leg.  I too told my doctor and she kind of laughed and said she cant imagine what that is about, like it was no big deal.  I am concerned though, this is the second time it happened.  
I've been having the same issue for the past 6 months or so.  Started on my right arm.  It feels like it's inflamed under the skin, like a bruise with no colour.  I will get spots or patches on arms, legs, thighs, etc.  they will last for 3 or 4 days, then start somewhere else.  I've had up to 2 weeks in between pain at times.  Went to my doctor, felt like she didn't belive me.  If I press a little on the tender areas the flesh feels harder or tighter in that area like inflamation (inflammation).  I've had them on my lower back and buttoks and bottoms of my feet.  
Right now both my upper outside arms have tender spots, as well as above both knees.  Some nights are difficult to sleep, because the pressure of lying on the tender spot hurts alot.
I don't think it's fibromlysia because from what I've ready there are particular tender points common in most people.
Hopefully someone has an answer for us.
I am going through this now. I told my parents and roommate about it and all asked if i had rashes or bruising. I dont at all. No signs of anything. It started 2 days ago on my stomach and now iys all ovee my ribs. I can sleep or have anything touch my skin. It has gotten so bad i cried myself to sleep...and right about now im ready to pull my hair out. Has anyone figured anything out yet? My dr thinks im nuts...along with my friends and family
tactile allodynia
Hey i have been to the doctor about the same thing unfortunately i get a lump under my skin in the certain spots i have felt the pain. I used to not get the lumps but now i do. The doctor has ran all sort of test but has came back with the same thing i am his mystery patient but would like to further try to find out what will help and what it is at moment he thinks its fibromyalgia but i have never heard of anyone getting lumps in the spots of pain i have a lump on right side of chest on left arm between elbow and wrist. now I suffer from a pain where i cannot stand or sit down without my tail bone hurtin i have to sleep on stomach to try and dodge the pains. So far the meds do not help. I have 3 kids. Want the problem fixed.  No doc has been able to answer but has referred me to several docs. Doctor has noted that I do not like taking pain meds so he knows im not faking it. for the med I guess that is why my doctor is more concerned on finding out. sometimes you have to search for a dif doctor ask for a second opinion its your right to find out.
First, I want to thank everyone for sharing and confirming that I am NOT LOOSING MY MIND.  I worried to even share this with my husband for him thinking I had moved into DELIRIUM stage of my sickness.  I am a 53 yr old, white female. For the better part of my life, a pretty healthy person.  Same sensations of TENDER, SORE, BRUISED SKIN, BUT NOTHING TO SHOW FOR IT.  Good news ---I am NOT crazy (about this).  Bad news, what the heck is this?  I'm sorry I do not have any answers yet, but I can share what I have been experiencing that may be of help to someone else.
11 days ago I began feeling sick, sore throat, cough, sniffles, run down. Turned into (I diagnosed) a full blow "cold".  5 days into it I was not getting better --but worse. Drove myself to my doctor of 15 yrs (don't care much to go to doctors. my experience, 50% of the time they prescribe based on what YOU tell them YOU feel. Other 40%, just send you to someone else --a "specialist"  I suppose 10% try to help figure it out.  but they're always ready to prescribe meds), anyway.. doc said I caught a nasty bacterial infection causing nasal and respiratory havock.  Prescribed a steroid and antibiotic --along with the staple codein laced cough medicine.  3 days later I was back to the doc (remember now, I don't like going to the doc) not feeling better and now pretty sure I had conjunctivitis.  Affirmative on the pink eye, another med prescribed.  Except for the conjuctivitis clearning, here I am 11 days later, still feeling rundown - BUT WORSE, I have this STRANGE TENDER/SORE SKIN PAIN; that feeling when you press on a bruise, except when I look there's nothing there. It started yesterday, day 10, at the back of my neck and up into the back of my ears.  It was not pain that caused me to rub. I went to rub the area and felt that bruised pain sensation.  It was weird. Alarming even.  I went to check myself immediatetly in the mirror, expecting to see some large discoloration of the area, and NOTHING!  By bed time, it had moved down into my shoulders, around my neck,and down into the upper area of my chest.  I shared all the sensations with my husband before going to sleep --thinking should I die, he'll need to share something with the coroner, aside from "she had a cold."  Woke up this morning, hoping this feeling would be gone; perhaps just have been imagining it, but sadly, it was still very much there.  THUS, I am here with you...  Some comments I have read today have led me to reconsider follow up on a diagnosis given to me 6 months ago of FACIOALGIA SYNDROME (which I'm pretty sure is just fancier for fibromyalgia). I did have some extensive testing done by a neurologist and rheumotologist.  Too many people tell me the firbomyalgia is made up for, "you're just getting older and wearing out", but maybe there is something more to it.   I'm pretty certain I am not going to die from this STRANGE SKIN SENSATION PAIN.  But I do no better to go check myself out for what may be laying under the surface of my skin that this 11 day old bacterial infection may have brought out in me ---enough to take me to surf internet med websites, if for nothing more, validation of sanity.  Yes, I will have to go back to the doctor with a piece of crow and slice of humble pie. I truly believe it's up to each one of us to self help, manage our health, and even assess as we grow older without freaking out and medicating.  I also know we need those in the medical profession, and I appreciate them. Thank you all for sharing your time, experiences, and comments. I hope everyone is feeling better --sooner than later.
My deal is that the skin on the top of the lower part of my thumbs, (which are double jointed), where the thumbs are joined to the hand, actually feels like the skin is burned.  It hurts even when it is not touched-just like a burn-and hurts even more when it is touched.  To make matters worse, since I was about 58-I am 65 now-my thumbs slip out of joint and I don't know what causes it!   Maybe this is a problem with the nerves.........zinc, which aids healing, doesn't seem to do diddly........I had shingles when I was about 36 and this feels like that, but the skin looks perfectly normal and doesn't change.
I don't have any of your symptoms I have something totally different and the only way I can get relief is if my Husband or I rub the area. It's like my nerve endings in certain areas of my body have malfunctioned. I hope this isn't Diabetes related and I will be going to the Doctor to find out if it is, but in the mean time my husband keeps rubbing and rubbing to help me get relief from the lack of feeling in my upper left foot, and my upper right foot, my left pinky and now for 5 weeks my right arm (from the elbow to my right wrist) underneath whenever I lean on it I get excruciating pain. He rubs it gently to give me relief. If he doesn't rub these areas my feeling wants to go away and it drives me insane because of the lack of sensation. These are the only areas I get this. I thought I've heard though if you don't heal you've got diabetes but I heal rather quickly so I'm wondering what's really going on with my feet? Any ideas I'd Love to hear them?!?!
I'd say in many of these cases it's postherpetic neuralgia.  Herpes can be shingles, chicken pox, herpetic whitlow, cold sores, misdiagnosed or invisible.  Scientists aren't totally sure why this happens, but when the viral cells move back to the skin somewhere, it can cause this reaction (tactile allodynia) in nearby limbs for small or long periods of time.
I, like everyone else on this posting am suffering from this invisible painful sensation. The pain I have experienced started a few days ago in my right forearm and has moved up into my tricep area. I am sharing this for the same reasons and hope we can figure out what exactly this is. I also just got back from a 2 week camping trip in the pacific northwest if this has any meaning to anyone. Thanks for all the posts relating to this.
Have the same symptoms eveyone described for almost 3 weeks, but on the right side of the abdomen. 3" from the navel.  It is NOT internal, no bruising, no swelling, no protrusions. Presure applied to the abdomen is not painful.  Just painfull to the slightist touch. I would think it were gout if it was at a joint.   Don't know if this is a possible cause, but, 4 months ago I was on antibiotics. Remember reading the possible side effects being ruptured tendons.  Any comments, or better yet, remedies would be appreciated.  
I have pain in my legs especially around the connection points of all my leg muscles. The outer thighs and just outside my shins are the worst. It also feels like there are little tiny peas under my skin which seem to correlate with the pain. I am thinking lymph system or fibromyalgia. I do also have herpes but very rarely have outbreaks (once a year) and the pain does not change based on these times. Anyone have answers? I have my physical later this month and will see what the doc has to say.
I have experienced this same feeling for awhile now. It hurts terribly. Its normally in the back of my leg under my buttocks and my feet and ankles. It last about 2 or 3 days and goes completely away.  It feels like someone is stabbing me or even setting my skin on fire. When I sit down on the commode and its cold, the back of my leg hurts so bad I can barely stand it. What is this crazy feeling? Someone help!
Going through the same thing right now, my first episode. Feeling super sensitive to the touch or sunburned. It's at the back of my left elbow and on my left forearm and it's driving me crazy, my husband acts as if I'm making it up:/ it's really painful to touch anything even hurts when I'm not touching anything at times. Hope we can figure this out, I'm amazed at how many of us there are!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allodynia
your post is exactly what I am experiencing. 2-3 inches below left knee, no sign of rash, bruising, or swelling and definitely not muscular. Can't kneel or put any pressure on area. I don't have a cold, not fatigued, feel pretty normal other than pain underneath skin. Have you had any luck with a diagnosis?
Does nyone know what this exactly means. Thanks so much
You don't have to exhibit a rash.....sensitivity and pain can also be symptoms of SHINGLES.  Also, there are people who experience intense pain..in the abdomen, their backs...etc. Drs are misdiagnosing shingles a lot because they're looking for a rash. The rash can simply be a fierce rash..as red as red can be, & the patient can suffer excruciating pain.  The rash can also have little clusters of blisters on them. When experiencing the first symptoms of shingles, anti-virals work best if prescribed with 72hrs of the symptoms. Some of us don't think of the symptoms...a slight itch that goes away...no tingling or burning. I know..it happened to me. I woke up one morning only to find what I thought was an insect bite turned into an extremely red rash containing small clusters of blisters. Luckily for me, that rash didn't form the infamous 'band' associated with shingles...but the skin under my right arm is very sensitive. I have experienced mild pain, however last night was the worst. All day today, I've been fine where pain is concerned. I think I contracted a very mild dose of the shingles.
Don't mess around with sore, sensitive skin. Again, have your doctor investigate the possibility of SHINGLES
Have been experiencing exactly the same sensation all this week. It's all around my trunk area, neck and scalp. I have had it in the past especially on my face and scalp whilst having a cold sore so maybe there is something to do with the herpes virus. Have been off work this week very run down with a flu like virus, so obviously immune system is low at the moment.
So strange I have the same symptoms only on my face. It started about a year or so ago in a spot along my hairline. It lasted several months, then just went away. Now a spot at the very end of my eyebrow about the size of a dime round it so very sensitive to the touch. Its like a bruise or an ingrown hair, but theres nothing there. This spot has been going on for over a month now and I am ready for it to move on. Some days it hurts more than others, sometimes just the crinkle of an eyebrown can cause it to hurt. Glad to know Im not the only one but sad to know there really isn't anything anyone can do.
The first time this happened to me, it was within 24 hours after having a flu shot. The skin on the left side of my face hurt like crazy. I went back to the doctor because I thought it was a reaction to the shot. The doctor diagnosed it as shingles and gave me an antiviral medication. It worked!

I still get it every so often, usually when I'm run down OR I've eaten a lot of sugar or anything else that wrecks my immune system (like too much stress).

It flared up today (Sunday) on my face and my right hip where I had a nasty staph infection about a year ago. I can't get in to see the doctor so I have been taking anti-oxidants, colloidal silver, and I also made a spray with filtered water and grapefruit seed extract (GSE) and have been applying it to the sore areas every few hours. The area on my face is already getting better (in about 12 hours) but the area on my hip is still hurting pretty bad.

I also try to take extra good care of myself when this happens: rest, drink plenty of fluids, etc.
I'm 44 and have the same symptoms . It started at the side of my schin then right above my knee cap now has moved to my left side. It's all on one side of my body . I'm really worried and don't won't to see Dr cause there are no visible bruises ..any info or help with this ..It's crazy
I also experience the same thing. I know my body's immune system is low again when my skin feel sore to touch. I would then expect to have fever from viral infections. There are times that only certain areas of my body like for example the left side skin of my left leg or arm feel sore to touch. I believe that this happens when my body is trying to fight the virus in my system. And so I double my dose of Moringa Oleifera vitamins every time I feel like having colds and fever.  The soreness or sometimes burning like sensation every time I touch skin during fever, I tend to experience it only certain area of my skin.  Thts when i thought that my body already got rid of the virus in my system. well, instead of getting a fever, i think my body finds a way to vent the little heat remains out from fighting the virus through just the small area of my skin. (The skin doesn't show any irritations though.)
I am 61 and have had this issue on and off for years, mostly sore sections of hair or spots on my face. I always thought I had slept wrong and had bent the hair or skin in a bad direction. The case I have now is the worst every. It's the left side of my face. I have a moustche and if I touch the hair or my skin lightly it really hurts, but if I grab my face or hair it's not painful. It's the light touch that kills me. It usually goes away but this time it's lasting longer than ever. Tonight I was in a car with cold air blowing on my face and it hurt like mad. Thank you so much for bringing this up. I thought I was crazy.
Deke
Hi, I understand I have the same thing. As I type I'm in pain. I've gone 2 the doctors and since there is nothing visual the doctor told 2 put lotion on it.
I think I am experienceing the same thing as you all, but it's not even in the muscle. Mine feels like I was slapped in the spot or like I have a sunburn in that area, but there has been no such trauma or sunburn. Mine also moves around. The latest occurence started under my left armalong the side of my left breast, but today it has moved to just below that location on my rib area. The first time I had it about 5 years ago it started on the inside of my thighs and moved the entire length of my body from top to bottom then disappeared. Will have to come in here when I have time to see if there are any clues as to what it might be. Don't want to go to the Dr when I don't have anything for them to look at...
I have been having this go on now for about a month.  It started on with one quarter sized mark on my inner thigh about 4 inches about knee.  I would feel it occasionally as I walked and at times couldn't even find it when I was pressing around for it.  Now the spot is more consistent and moves around on different parts of both legs and sometimes on my arms.  Now when I press on the spots it is sore and slightly painful.  I have been under a severe amount of stress over the past 8 weeks and thinking that could be playing a huge role in this.  I don't seem to have the characteristics of Fibromyalgia or MS and there is no visible marks on the skin distinguishing these sore spots.   I read somewhere that this could be a cause of involuntary muscle tightening due to stress and to the point where we don't even realize it is happening.  I guess I am hoping this is it and nothing more serious to add to my stress (Being that my stress is already due to health scares)....Everyone I have told thinks I am crazy so I am glad I am not alone out there.  
It's amazing to read all these stories of people with eerily similar experiences. My pain began two days ago on my upper right thigh. That's what woke me up in the morning. I could barely sit up because my pajama pants were rubbing against it. When I touch the area, it feels as if my fingers are so cold! I have no other way to say it, but, MY SKIN HURTS. The has spread from the little area on my thigh, to my groin, hips, and buttocks. Running hot water on it does not help at all. In fact, nothing helps. It's going on the third day and I have no idea what to do.
Hey, I went to a rumatologist and levels too low for rheumatoid arthritis and tested negative for fibromyalgia!!  I have no idea what is going on with me but all the sudden starting yesterday I feel like one big bruise!  I am sore to touch all over, plus I have been having headaches this week  I have for the past 3-4 years been having neck, back and shoulder pain non stop after having my son by C-section, and now this.  If its not better by Monday I will see my Dr.  I love him and he has saved my life before...I am so hoping he can help figure out what this invisible bruise pain is......If I find out anything I will post it! Good luck to all
Hey
I'm going through the same, but I think it happens to people with serious allergies and super-sensitive skin. The pain is at the back of my thighs below my bum and from the bottom of my knees going down, especially the sides, also under my feet and my toes, I'm really frustrated and don't know what to do, I was telling my friends about it and they looked at me funny. Pfff >_> anyone who can help??
Start keeping a pain & food journal, go to a rheumatologist, he is the dr who will do the trigger point test for fibro, but my guess is you have it.  I've been diagnosed with it for 15 yr & it sounds like a lot of people on this site have it & don't realize it.  It takes a very good dr & good medical notes showing test results negative for every disease they think you have but hang in there & start seeing a psychiatric dr also because you need 3 drs your family dr, the rheumatologist & the psychiatrist to get your disability and believe you me in the end you will need it.  Good luck!
Kare
Hi, from what I see looking at all the comments this weird ailment seems to be attacking us middle aged people so I think we can clearly say that it is age related. I started having this pain in my wrist a week ago and it felt like there was acid burning my skin and the area underneath was also a little swollen but also kind of hard if that makes any sense. Of course with it bin so painful I keep on bumping it as if I really want more pain. The Doc prescribed me Apen 500mg an antibiotic mix of Ampicillan and Cloxacillin the course ends tomorrow and I don't feel any improvement. To make matters more interesting I have started feeling the same sensation going up to the joint of my thumb. I don't know how some of you have managed the pain for so long and if anyone has any idea what it is please let me know. I will also be grateful for ideas of what painkillers to take because I can't handle the pain :o(
anyone have an answers?  The skin on my belly is keeping me awake at night.  Feels like a bruise but no bruise visible. Also it's in my belly fat just under the surface of the skin.  What is this??
I'm experiencing similar symptoms. I'm only 30 yes old so I don't think it's age related but maybe stress related as I have been stressed about work for a whole now. The pain sensation I'm feeling only started this morning on my left arm just before my armpit. It is now on both arms in the same place and is very sore to touch a bit like sunburn but with no physical evidence of anything there. I don't think I have this fibro problem that people have mentioned cause I don't have sleep problems or suffer from fatigue. I just wish I knew what it is. If this is still a problem by Monday I will ring my docs up.
I started out having a really bad pain in my thigh, which then extended down the front of my leg. Sort of like a "front" sciatica. I went to my GP and she says she thinks there may be something wrong with my L3 and L2 vertebrae which "feeds" the nerves down the fronts of the legs.

Im now getting the tenderness in the back of the legs too.

I await my MRI next friday, and will keep you updated.
This makes the most sense to me. Thank you so much. I get this usually in the back of my thigh on my cheek, the arch of my foot,  etc. It usually only lasts for a day or so and it is minor and I can treat it effectively with ibuprofen. It feels just like if I had the flu or was ill but just in one spot. I have herpes and have about 3-4 outbreaks a year. This doesn't seem to always be associated with an outbreak but sometimes it is.
I've had this pain for 1 week now on left thigh under my bum. It's starting on the front side now same place oppisite side . It feels like I have galded my leg somehow, no visable signs of anything . I had a flu shot 3 months ago and I have eczema on my stomach and my waste , small red itchy patches. This is very painful at times and I feel like if I could scratch it it would feel better but it so tender I can't scratch and  I've  been wearing loose clothes and not my jeans cause it's so tender. If anyone has any info please reply.
im 44 yr old male
Lately i used a fruit scent lotion and is sour to the taste too, which I believe reason to attract insect because of the sweetness of the scent and maybe the taste.
Several months I noticed an insect bite that has a mark less than centimeter in distance and is visible after 4 months.
I believe that its a lyme disease symptom. the tender, burning, painful to the touch like you got it scalded from boiling water after touch. it also cause pressure pain under the hollow part of my feet, pressure feeling in my two legs specially on the calves.
Now, i researched and found that antibiotic would help, aloe vera juice for drink,  vit c a and b complex.
with amoxicillin or doxycycline , a-zolefor the treatment of lyme disease.
for the soathing relief of pain use aloe vera cream or ky jelly the plain one. hey!! its by coincidence.
Lena,

Since I don't know you or what you believe or don't believe, as a born-again Christian who is going through the very same pain in my left leg (Though yours may be in OTHER parts of your body) that you are now, the best advice I can give you is to cry out to Jesus/God & ask Him to heal you.  After all, He did it 2000 years ago (In addition to dying for you, me & everyone else on the cross at Calvary way back then so that our sins could be forgiven & washed away by His Precious Blood) & from what I've seen (Such as a black friend of mine & my bro's named Reggie who still lives at the Downtown Birmingham, Alabama Apt. bldg. where us two moved from last March 28th.  Basically, here's his story: Here was a man who was unable to walk, stuck in an electric wheelchair, so my bro' prayed for Jesus to heal him & next thing Brett--my bro'--& myself see is him at Sam's Club in Homewood, Alabama, WALKING UP A STORM!! TRUE STORY!!!) & this pretty much proves that He's still in the Miracle Business today!!!  Amen?!!!  As for any athiests/scoffers/general unbelievers who might come on this board in order to discourage you from believing in Him & His healing power, don't listen to them!!  Their voices're just the voice of the devil, satan, in order to get you to disbelieve.  Right now, I'm listening to Christian artist, Julie True, who's music cannot only be described as healing & Heavenly, but also, who I found out about on Sid Roth's TV show, "It's Supernatural" (Which, if you have DirecTV you can watch on some of the various Christian channels such as WHT & GodTV as well as at Sid's Website www.sidroth.org .  Check it out & BELIEVE!!!  It provides PLENTY of evidence for God's Miraculous Supernatural Healing Power, among other Positive aspects--those on God's side of the Supernatural spectrum--of the Supernatural Realm!!!  Far too often, we only get to see on regular, secular, network TV the NEGATIVE side of the Supernatural spectrum--in other words, satan's side--through garbage shows such as "Supernatural", among others, & we never, ever get to see the POSITIVE side of that realm; Sid Roth's show challenges/changes all that (From GOD'S perspective!)!!!  Anyway, here's hoping that, if you haven't already, that you'll consider giving your life COMPLETELY & TOTALLY over to Jesus!!!  Ask Him to come into your heart & live His Life in you today!!  Also, ask Him to heal you!  In the meantime, Jesus, me, & many others (Including my bro' & my church) will be praying for you!  Best wishes to you, & may you get healed!

You can also get checked for herpes when you are about to have an outbreak one of the synthoms are sore skin because herpes effects the nerves.
Herpes simplex virus will cause a tenderness from below the buttock and down the back of the thigh, which is usually the harbinger of an imminent outbreak.The skin continues to be sensitive both during and after the herpes attack.
The virus is present in many people, without displaying any physical symptons such as, lesions or blisters.
Stress can be the catalyst, in much the same way as shingles, therefore resulting in sporadic outbreaks.
Other, more severe, symptons mentioned on this website, could well be due to other medical issues albeit that stress might well be a common factor.
I too suffer this same pain, after reading some of these testimonies of pain i am relieved to know that i am not the only one experiencing this, but sad that there are so many of us having to deal with this Pain. I do believe it is Viral after reading all of your experiences with these symptoms. I do wonder how many of you have Arthritis? or Fibromyalgia? to me it seems like it could be some kind of Auto Immune Thing that flares up when we are under stress or our bodies become Fatigued. It does come out of no where, and it seem that resting helps the symptoms to eventually become weaker until they are gone. To all of you out there suffering from this skin pain, try to get as much rest as possible and she if that help's.

I had the wrist thing a number of years ago and I thought my wrist was broken.  Went to the er and they told me I had torn a tendon and the burning was uric acid around the tear.  I don't know how true that is but is what they said.  I now am experiencing this sensitive pain in my left leg right next to my shin.  To me it feels like it is raw but it is not red at all.  If anything like clothes or blanket rub on it the pain is awful.  I do suffer from arthritis pretty bad in my hands but have not been diagnosed with it.  I will come back once I am able to have some test done.  
i have similar  pain on  my left upper leg just 2 weeks ago.I dont have idea how i  get this pain from, i tried to touch  my leg, i couldn't feel anything  but sore (only when touch  ,walk or jump feel sore),  so wait  til 1 week after  still sore, still nothing visible on my left leg , so i tried to massage it myself , next day , it goes worse , more sore  n can feel bigger area sore, cant walk  so well ( i need to walk 3 km each day to town),another week later , still feel sore same as before , so i tried another massage  myself , but worse again, next day , whole inner left leg  sore , this time  nearly cant walk, very worried about this..
but today i start a new idea, i just try it today, it goes very well..........i can tell 70% improve my sore sometimes 90% improve .......so i just wait til tomorrow see if any more improve..... (i hate to go to see dr, hate to take any medicine)... if my method really can help i will let all you know.....
For about six weeks now,  below the skin of my right thigh, about three inches above my knee has felt like someone rubbed sandpaper on it and there is also a bit of very mild numbness occasionally.   It is localized to about an eight inch area.  It has not moved.  It gets worse when I walk a lot or when my jeans rub against it.  The descriptions that I read here are similar to mine such as feels like sunburn under the skin,  scraping,  raw, etc.  No swelling or discoloration.  I'm a nurse, but have no clue what it is,  and since I only work part time, I don't have health insurance (ironic for a nurse I know), so I haven't been to a doctor.  Probably wouldn't go even with insurance because I have a high pain tolerance and at this time it's more of an annoying discomfort then severe pain.
Before reading posts online about similar symptoms, I thought that the middle layer of my skin has become sensitive because  when watching TV I tend to lay on that side of my leg.  At this point, I have no clue what it could be.
Wanted to edit my above comment.  It seems that I have found a diagnosis that fits with exactly what I am experiencing.  It's called meralgia parasthetica.  
I have the same pea type nodules under the skin which correlate with the pain. I have discovered that if I rub the nodules, (by the way this is extremely painful!!) But, if I can stand the pain (rubbing with my knuckles), the pea size nodules disappear along with the associated pain and sensitivity (bruised feeling). I end up with spots of bruises (It looks bizarre)  where the nodules were. It comes back every so often. The only thing I can thik of is something in there is getting clogged.
Oh wow! I just found your post! You described this issue perfectly!
I have had this for many years and it seems to run the full course of my body in various spots (once it gets started).
I had this flare up again just yesterday, on the left upper side of my forehead and around the left side of my head. By the end of the day it had spread all the way across the entire left side of my head and face. This flared up after I had an EMG in the lower half of my body. I was trying to describe this sensation to the doctor but I was not having any symptoms at that time, and he asked me if it travels, which I told him it does sometimes. I am beginning to wonder if it is a form of shingles.  I have also associated it with pre-symptoms of a cold or flu. I am not sure if that is just a coincidence or if it really is associated with a virus that stays in the body.
I still believe that it's a form of shingles. I just wish I could get some answers. The doctors seem to know what I am talking about but they said they don't know what causes it.  NOW COME ON~there has GOT to be an explanation. If anyone finds out, please let the rest of us know. Thank you all.
I have the same issue. Mostly it's on my stomach. And 100% of the time it appears about a day/ day of me coming down with a cold or flu. I definitely believe its viral-related. I had chicken pox when I was younger, so I'm wondering if its the herpes zoster virus trying to make an appearance as shingles, but not quite getting there. I've heard people with shingles describe their pain to similar to my skin tenderness, but x 100. Like I said, my skin tenderness appears around the day I start feeling sick. It lasts about 2-3 days, same as my cold/flu. It's always this annoying/tender/raw skin feel. I've been experiencing this periodically since I was about 8-9 yrs old, now I am 25. I ve never been to doc for this. Im generally healthy, usually get a cold about once a year/ once every other year. I hope this helps.
Okay so I know whatbu guys r saying. My face has been killing me. I barley touchnit and its so sore achy and painful I did research and there is a skin condition called tactile allodina, read up on it and see if it fits stef71
I'm just now experiencing this too for the first time... Actually, right now I have a bladder infection that grew into a kidney infection, but this morning I woke up with the same tenderness you're all describing on the back of my left arm, between the elbow and ending before my armpit. It was the last thing I needed, but am hoping the antibiotics I am currently on will also do something for this strange skin pain.. I also read on another forum that the pain can be from a pinched nerve in your neck.. I slept with a blanket as a pillow last night, anyone else have a rough sleep prior to this problem?
Folks should read every post carefully because about 5 of them have mentioned the cause and given reference to more information.  "Hypodoche" has it right in my opinion.  Go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postherpetic_neuralgia and decide for yourself if this is what you are experiencing.  Remember:  No one is your best advocate than yourself.
How about fibromyalgia? Has anyone checked into that? This may not be the cause of everyone's  problem, but its worth looking into.
For people with Herpes, this is a process known as "VIRAL SHEDDING". It is when the herpes virus awakens from its dormant state within nerve cells and other tissues, and travels through nerve pathways to the skins surface, causing the exact sensation on your skin that everyone here has described. It surfaces on different areas of the body for different people, however the back of the thighs, hips or buttocks are the most common. Shedding is most commonly brought on by stress or illness and is not always followed by an outbreak of herpes sores, however the virus is still contagious during the process regardless of whether sores are present or not.

Up to 70% of people with the herpes virus are a-symptomatic, meaning they have never experienced an outbreak of sores, and therefor have no idea that they are carrying the virus. In the 5 years I have been experiencing the Viral Shedding, I have had only ONE episode in which sores appeared. It is a very tricky virus.

For me, the viral shedding includes the sensitive and painful sensation on my skin which moves around from my ribs, to my hip, to my inner thighs, the back of my thighs, my back, my arms, and very rarely my buttocks. There is never a rash, discoloration, bruising etc., only the painful, sensitive, sometimes tingly or prickly sensation on my skin. As some of you have mentioned on here, it frequently lasts one or 2 days and then changes locations on my body, and is painful to touch or even put clothes on.

It is possible to be tested for HSV1 or HSV2 via blood tests now, and I certainly recommend it to anyone of you who are experiencing this, as this symptom is an indication that you are contagious.

I hope that this helps some of you.
Yes, yes yes, i have the same symptoms and herpes as well. I've been flipping out for the past week trying to mentally prepare for another outbreak but it has never come. Just EXTREME sensitivity around my groin, thighs  and under my buttocks.I previously got way stressed out and experienced a 2 week long menstrual cycle (very abnormal for me) which was very bizarre however I didn't think much of it and just chalked up to my stress levels being through the roof.  I am currently  being treated for a UTI from a GP i actually work for but is not MY personal doctor. I gave myself a UA at work, told her the symptoms and she gave me the prescription. Initially I thought it had something to do with that (UTI) But it has only been 3 days of medication and not the skin/muscle sensitivity nor the UTI symptoms have lessened. I am completely beside myself seeing that It couldn't possibly get an worse when I was diagnosed with HSV2 at 28 years old (4 years ago). . . .I was wrong. At least I found out what it was and was able to wrap my brain around the duration of each outbreak, symptoms, possible triggers and the fact that it is NEVER going away. This however. . there are no words. Again any help, as I sit here in pain and agony, would be greatly appreciated. Not only am I suffering but I have younger kiddos that can't get me 110% because of this frustrating and annoying mystery. Thanks all i do feel a slight sigh of relief.
-Misery loves Company
This is day two, I am in agony it feels like sunburn, I have felt this before when I have had a high temperature. The skin is tender to the touch, I have headache and difficult in moving without pain in my muscles. Pressure on the underside of my wrists hurts the bones, I am listless and tired.
I have had shingles so I can count that out and there are no spots. My feet hurt also. I do have severe arthritis and fibro, I have never suffered anything like this before it really is bad. Cannot do much about it as its the weekend and NHS 24 are useless
I am having soreness on my skin at the back of my legs then another day on the outside of my arms. No physical evidence of any bruising and it goes away in a day. I also get weird burning feeling on the top of my feet then its gone in a few hours. Is it shingles?
Fibromyalgia causes this which can be brought on by nerve damage but has other causes as well. It is called allodynia
I have had these pains for about the past 10 years. At first it was just bothersome and lasted about 2-3 days and it was always on my right outer thigh next to my hip. My last episode it hurt so much I went to the doctor. he took an xray of my hip because he thought that I might have broke my hip, even though I didn't do anything to break it, he said that I had arthritis and that it was bursitis in the socket making my skin hurt? Today the left side skin right under my butt is hurting and the pain is shooting down my leg so what ever this is is getting worse with age, I am 42. Im trying to think of any triggers that may have brought it on. I thought I was crazy too until I see how many other people have these symptoms. Im going to keep researching and try and figure this out.
Tactile allodynia?
I think it has something to do with the herpes virus. It generally happens right before a menstrual cycle and only lasts a few days.  Since herpes hides out in your nervous system Im betting that that is what it is.  Im no dr, but thats what I have thought it was each time I get it, which doesnt happen every month, but maybe once or twice a year.  Blood work says i have had exposure at some point for herpes but never have had an outbreak so who knows.
It's called Allodynia:

http://chronicfatigue.about.com/b/2009/03/07/painful-to-touch-fibromyalgia-tactile-allodynia.htm
I have the same pain in my arm. But it last for days. Now where the collar of my shirt and necklace is is doing the same thing. It does it on the inside of my legs. It got the point to where I had to wear clothes to big in order to not be in pain. Every now and then it gets a sharp pain from my elbow down to my pinky finger and it makes me want to cry. My family has apparently passed this along them because almost all the females have it.
We'll guys I feel just a little better knowing that it's not just me. I have had these symptoms and occurances every so often. Like tonight, it popped up once again on my left thigh and moved to my balls. Sometimes I try to massage it away and sometimes I just remain annoyed with it until it trolls away. I'm desecrate to find out exactly what this is really soon. I just hope it's not a sign that I have some type of fatal disease. I believe the government is going to start population control soon and I know it's going to range from cigarettes, food, and water. I'm pretty much healthy besides this moving active pain that went from my lower  back to my left thigh and now down to my balls. It is one of the most annoying things right. But anyway good night:)
Re: inpainandconfused - Yes, I have this exact same pain and I have HSV-2.  I have had the pain for 3 years or so.  At first it always affected my left leg from my upper thigh down and always coincided with an outbreak.  But in the past year or so it has affected all areas - arms, torso, left AND right leg and doesn't seem to always coincide with an outbreak... I wonder if this is some strange presentation of the Herpes virus that the medical community is not yet aware of.
I've had this type of pain for 3 years now and I also have HSV-2.  It used to affect only my left leg and coincided with an outbreak every 6 months or so.  BUT now I have this type of pain at least once a month and it affect any area - arms, both legs, torso, doesn't matter.  I've heard/read that herpes affects one nerve line and can cause this pain anywhere below that nerve line.  It does seem like this adds up to Herpes, but if so why would it affect multiple areas of the body like that (which are supplied by so many different nerves)??
Thank you, thank you, thank you for this!!!!!!!!  This is exactly what I've been experiencing right down the very same areas of pain/sensitivity and I also have HSV-2.  I used to only have the sensation on my left left from under my buttock down to my calf and it always coincided with an outbreak, but now it affects me all over - like you said, ribs, back, hips, inner thigh on EITHER leg, etc and doesn't always coincide with a visible outbreak.  I was beginning to worry about MS and other things but it is the EXACT same sensation that always came with herpes outbreaks only in different areas.  I do really believe it is a strange presentation of the Herpes virus that may be yet unknown to the medical community.  SO GLAD to know I'm not crazy and that it is most likely due to Herpes and nothing life-threatening.
I've been having this broblem down my left leg for the 2 weeks, more painful at night, sometimes it feels a though my left leg had gone numb then the pain comes back with a vengeance. I had damaged my back, the doctor asked if I had any numbness in my legs, tod her how my leg had been and she looked at me as if I needed to be put in a straight jacket!
I Am a 20 year old female and have had these same symptoms going on for about a year. It will move from place to place lasting 4 to 6 days and its miserable. Sitting on the toilet hurts, clothes hurt, everything hurts. Doctors around here are terrible so I came here looking for some sort of advice. At least I know I am not the only one. Best of luck and if I find out anything I will let you all know.
this might help im going to try and find a specialist and ask about allodynia and fibromyalgia that's the only explanation ive ever found. hope this helps http://www.medguidance.com/Skin-Sensitive-to-Touch.html
Hello..... I have been looking for information to help me better understand this sensitive  skin issue looks like I have several who are dealing with it mine started when I was mowing and got a little some and weeps came up about two months ago and yesterday and today tender to the touch. Yes I drink diet drinks alot....Thanks for your time hope to hear from you....
Allodynia!!!  Thanks for the terminology (and to those others before).

I have mentioned my skin sensitivity to my doctor (pain in the skin over my ribs on both sides, including the outside of my breasts, no rash at all).  This has been going on for a couple of years, not bad at first and getting worse.  I'm 67 and had shingles about 15 years ago so I knew it wasn't shingles.

On my own I've included B-12 in my daily diet, wear a firm (but not tight) bra, and apply cornstarch on the affected areas to reduce some of the pain.

My doctor prescribed an X-ray and the results showed both a paravertebral muscle spasm and a dextroscoliotic curve.  In simpler words, my spine is affecting nerves that go to those areas that hurt so much.

She has prescribed simple stretching exercises and a nightly dose of 100 mg of neurontin.  I've been on it for a week now and, though I still have a lot of pain, it has lessened so that I can drive without hurting and find a comfortable sleeping position at night.  I go back in another week and, depending on the results after 20 days of neurontin, the dosage will be upped (or not).

I'll post then but I suggest that any of you that think you have Allodynia talk to your doctor and ask for an X-ray to check your spine.
This has been happening to me for abt 2 yrs. Usually starts on outer top of legs. Feels as though skin is bruised or very sore to touch. Seems to move each time it flares up. Sometimes backside. Originally I thought it could be my office chair but once it started up on my torso and more recently my outer left leg & side of my left foot. It lasts abt 3 days then disappears for months just as quick as its onset. So bizarre.
Thank The Lord in heaven it's not just me. I've had this problem since before Splenda was ever introduced to my diet. I'm convinced it is from misalignments in the spine. I have a neck injury and sometimes if I do traction for a few days in a row (hanging my head over the edge of the bed for 5 min at a time) I can clear it up. Right now it spans the entire circumference of where my bra rests. It tends to flare up in areas that are constantly touched or leaned on (elbows, wrists, back, bra area, panty lines, etc). I also tend to have it around inflammation. My thumb joint is irritated and it hurts all around it and spreads into my nail bed.
It is Herpes!  I have HSV-1, where I only get break outs on my chin or some where on my face, in nose or ears and usually right before or during the outbreak on side of my face feels sore like Ive been slapped.  Now if you are having sore skin on the lower extremities then you would have HSV - 2.  Depending on where the sore skin sensation is located is what kind of Herpes Simplex you have.
Right now the right side of my face, head and eye are all sore,  The skin hurts like I have been slapped or hit with something, and I am starting to get an itchy sensation on my chin.  This also is accompanied by a headache sometimes.  
So now you all know what it is.....nothing really you can do for it except to just relieve your symptoms with a mild pain reliever and your doctor can prescribe meds for any breakouts.  
Meralgia Parasthetica sounds exactly like what I have...right thigh and everything!  Thanks so much to you and to all on the board...I was sure I was just crazy!
Dear everyone!

I agree that this pain is herpes-related. Your descriptions also confirm that the pain appears in the same zones as shingles. There is actually a type of shingles that does not produce the redness or the rash (by the Latin name of 'zoster sine herpete', meaning zoster infection without the herpes blisters), but the same painful sensation appears in the same zones as for shingles. Many of you also confirm my own experience: that this pain flares up when we have a cold, are under stress or run down for another reason. This is exactly what happens when shingles (herpes zoster) strikes. The good news is that there are reports that people affected by shingles are largely immune to cancer. I am not a health professional, I just read up on these.
I think the best treatment is probably plenty of rest, the reduction of stress and some Vitamin C - measures that support the immune system.
I have been dealing with this exact issue on and off for twenty years now but it's been worse in the last few. For me it definitely seems related to my hormones and is usually on my legs or feet. About two years ago I had this horrible sensitivity all over my back for a couple days and then wound up with a really bad case of shingles. Other than that, it comes on my legs for a few days every month and then goes away with no rash or sign otherwise. It can be very uncomfortable but I take advil and it seems to help a little. No idea what to do. I might try a multivitamin and see if it does anything.
There is some comfort in finding out that I'm not alone in this.  When it first occurred six months ago, the idea of shingles occurred to me but the shingles blisters never appeared.  I have been healthy, no colds, not run down.  It moves around, a few days here, then somewhere else.
So, if so many of us experience this transitory skin tenderness (mine is like a sunburn), doesn't someone have some answers?  When I asked my internist, she shrugged it off, commenting "Interesting."  Perhaps if some physicians start to experience it, they will seek out answers for the rest of us.
I have the same feeling/sensation on my thighs. It can be all of both or a small part of one? Havent been to see my GP as of yet. But ive had it for over a year. Can be there for half a day or up to two days then dont get it for months? Very strange sensation. Not painful when pressure is applied, slightest touch only
try tramadol,only thing that works for me.
sounds like fibromyalgia
lena,wise up.this is a serious discussion
tramadol works for me,I think this condition could be psychosomatic.Try doing something which takes ur mind off the pain.
I believe kismet904 has got this right for most of the people on this site, but probably not all. He or she correctly says that this sensitive skin issue is related to the Herpes virus either HSV1 or HSV2 and that not everyone is aware that they may carry this virus as I am led to believe that not everyone gets the breakouts or blisters but can still carry the virus and therefore when shedding occurs may encounter the sensitive skin issue when the virus awakens from it's dormant state. I have had Herpes HSV2 for almost 30 years with the initial breakouts quite severe and around 5 to 6 times a year for the first 7 years or so and reducing to very mild attacks over the years since, to once or twice a year up until 11 months ago when I started for the first time getting this very sensitive and painful skin problem that coincided with either a breakout or Herpes symptoms "Shedding" that I have over the many years learnt to understand even though a breakout (blister) did not occur. The only problem I don't really understand is my herpes after all these years has now moved from my genital area (although still there as well) to another area just under my ribs on the side of my stomach where I have had the 3rd breakout this year already. The skin around this area and lower back is presently extremely sensitive as well as my kidneys initially even felt sore. The blisters have already almost healed however the sensitive skin now in day 18 is as bad as ever. I have had this sensitive skin issue in other areas as well many that are listed in above posts i.e. upper inside and outside thigh etc,. The last two breakouts have been as sever as my initial attacks some 30 years ago and the skin is extremely sensitive to the touch from clothes or anything for that matter. I just wonder as someone previously mentioned if this could perhaps be a new strain of herpes that the medical profession is not yet aware of. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Interesting and perhaps helpful update:  I got the shingles vaccine on Oct. 17 and have had no recurrence of the burning pain/soreness.  Coincidence?  It had been almost constant for over 6 months and had occurred in various areas on my torso.  With the passage of time perhaps i will find that the vaccine "cured" me.
Just an update for any one who might be interested.  Still no recurrence of the mystery skin soreness & burning pain since i got the shingles vaccine.  Maybe i am cured.  If so, i say, "Thank You, LORD GOD."
I have also experienced the same problem. While growing up there was pain which I described as scalding hot water was poured on my skin. It would take about the size of a baseball, and was slightly elevated, a doctor friend of the family would tel me it was a sign of infection, or just before catching a virus. Latter on I found out that it was angiodema (Family of Hives). Just recently I have had it more. First I had it around my nick and radiating to my shoulder. Two days ago It was around my R Eye and the whole right side of my face, also considered to be a migraine with out a headache which my neurologist said is  or common then not. Now I is on my left arm from my shoulder radiating to my hand. Not neuropathy, already checked. It makes seance that it could be nerve endings. There was someone that suggested Fibromyalgia, I thought that it is the muscle and this pain is more superficial. Someone mentioned another name that takes me to a page that says it is Fibromyalgia and that it has 4 different pain types being on a type of neuropathy, or superficial pain.
I have had this pain for years ever since i hit puburty. I've been to multiplle doctors and they all wrotte it off as a cold symptom but i get it all the time. So i finally went to a nutritionist who told me I might be having allergic reaction to something I eat we found out that it was actually a gluten allergy that was causing this. our food is not natural and it causes us to have a reaction it's like a poison it causes all sorts of problems like arthritis and fibromyalgia. I've been gluten free for several weeks now and I haven't had any of the symptoms and I feel much better with so much more energy. I would recommend that you see a holistic nutritionist because it changed my life
I experienced similar skin pains (mostly in my thighs, i think it was) last year when I did two things at the same time for two days: wore skinny jeans, slept on a hard mattress. I also sit long hours at my job, then go for long walks in spurts, can't remember if I had done either of those at that time. But at that time, I did manage to connect my symptoms to those two actions, which I stopped immediately (switched to looser pants and got a mattress topper!), and the pain went away pdq.

I agree with your 'diagnosis', Asmedious. Here's the Mayo Clinic link that describes it: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/meralgia-paresthetica/DS00914/DSECTION=risk-factors

I came across this discussion because I thought I had a new symptom, a smaller patch that feels like a bruise on the inside of my lower shin. And I'm reminded that I wore somewhat skinny jeans recently because they were red and Christmas-y. Even though they're not that tight when I put them on, they'd ride up my leg and get tight across my calf. I couldn't wait to get out of them at the end of that long day. And now, thanks to this forum, I'm reminded not to wear tight jeans!! Thanks, everyone :)
I am suffering a feeling of bruised forearm after washing the dishes, it appeared like a numb patch and felt tender. I have had various times of this in various places but am very concerned it is ms. Anyone found similar?
My experience with the Doctor's has been the same.  Actually one Doctor took me seriously and said it could be shingles under the skin.  I have been experiencing sore skin since I was in my 20's and now that I am in my 50's it's worse!  I get it on my fingers and all the way down one side of my body.  It's miserable.  I can't move or I get jabbed in the chest or buttock with pain.  Really weird!  You are not alone though.
Did you ever learn what was causing the sensitive skin pain on the backs of your legs and feet?  I'm experiencing it right now and would love some answers.
A friend of mine has the same thing as you.  He went to the hospital today to see if they knew what it was and they ran blood test and they all came out negative.  
Im sitting as we speak in a hospital bed with a blood clot ( which spreaded very severly ) and fluid in lungs with very Low blood pressure and I am experiencing exactly word for word and same areas of pain to what you described your case as. I wonder if it's a side effect of he blood clot possibly ? Lack of blood? Lack of circulation is what I can gather
So glad I come across this post, I have been suffering exactly the same! Mine is usually just before my period, I get it really bad down both legs, sometimes to the extent I can't wear clothing as anything touching my skin is so painful,, it's really getting me down, luckily it only lasts 2 days. I have not seen a dr, but I googled it and it does sound like allodynia
Hey guys I thought I'd post on this topic because everyone seems to be sharing their stories. I recently gained a pain in my shoulder blade and armpit that is related to these symptoms. I am 22 years old and have never felt this pain before. It is only after I've taken a bottle of Amoxicillin prescribed by the doctor to treat my mouth infection. I believe that these symptoms rose because my body could not handle Amoxicillin flawlessly and now I'll be heading to a dermatologist. I will not accept a prescription if it is offered because I do not want this to turn into an endless loop and I believe the body is capable of solving most mysteries.
I have very bad pain on my shins whenever the skin is touched and have had it for about 50 years. (I am 62) Shaving my legs is not fun but necessary so I go very carefully. I have also asked Drs in the past about it and they just shrug their shoulders so I don't bother asking anymore. Sometimes my husband forgets or my grandchildren will wrap their legs around mine and I feel like I could scream. Also, touching behind my knees is very sensitive.
I have ever since I can remember also had white "polka dots" on my shins that seem to be spreading recently almost up to my knees, I don't know if one has anything to do with the other but both issues have been around as long as I can remember.
I have no known health problems, and never have had so I just deal with it.
I have most of the symptoms described.  Someone likened the pain to having sandpaper rubbed back and forth on your skin. I feel like my skin, or just beneath the surface of my skin, has been rubbed very hard, to the point of feeling bruised.  Achy, painful to touch, intermittent, particular spots on my body.  The last two times it has included the arch of one of my feet.  Backs of legs, groin area, waistline, stomach, various areas on my back, front of legs/thighs.  It's extremely achy feeling.  I'll have it for a day or two and then maybe not again for a month or more.  I don't know that I have Herpes of any form, as I've never had any kind of outbreak.  I did have chicken pox as a kid and I know that shingles and chicken pox are in the herpes family.  Doesn't shingles present only on one side of the body - unilaterally?   I can't say mine is only on one side of my body.  I have no visible signs of irritation at all.  Skin doesn't feel any warmer to the touch, no sores, no bruises.  Definitely feels bruised and EXTREMELY achy.  I only looked it up tonight because it's bad enough that I'm going to take some pain reliever.  Usually I just "ride it out".  I'm sharing my own symptoms because I've noticed that a couple of posts sound JUST like my own symptoms (the bottom of the foot thing is really tripping me out -  what the heck???) and it helps to see someone's that match your own, especially if the time comes where they receive a medical diagnosis and/or treatment.  At least you know you aren't alone :)
I'm 15 years old and I have a patch of skin that is extremely sensitive on my thigh. I hurts more to rub than to press down on, it is very sensitive to the cold; for example if I place my fingers on the area it feels like ice whilst if I  place it on a non-affected area it is fine, and I can always feel the pain there (very lightly though). It can't be shingles because I have never had chicken pox and it can't be herpes either. It not excruciating pain but it hurts and is very annoying.
started as a bad cough, became a cold. now have terrible back pain in lower back.. on upper and mid back it feels like a have a bad sunburn and any clothes that touch it, hurt. same when i take shower.
dr gave me steroid and pain med.. afraid to take prednisone
Oh my goodness.  Yes, the pain is extreme.  Keeps me up. Endured it all night last night.  My face and the back of my right thigh. And always one at a time.   Last all night. Ppl think I'm not for real but my spouse knows the pain is real.  Thanks for confirming my truth.  
Exactly!!!
please do not diagnose people on here. I have Fibromyalgia and I get very sore skin on my face, not from Herpes.
I'm aged 50 now and get this maybe 3/4 times a year. Suffering just now! I also remember getting this as a little girl - think my mum thought I was imagining it! I have also had shingles, inside my mouth and I'm pretty certain that this is linked as the pain is very similar. The pain varies from place to place, sometimes it hurts so much even to sit down on the toilet! However, I'm wondering if it has anything to do with nerve damage from operations? I had a couple of major kidney ops when I was little and have a totally numb area on my thigh which a doc recently said would've been caused at one of my ops. Anyone think there could be a link, or is it more likely to be from the shingles virus?
I had the sore skin thing on my outer thighs, got a new mattress.....wham!  It was gone.  Have had the new mattress for 2 years and three months and the soreness is back!  So, will have to buy another mattress!  It's called pressure points and if your mattress is seven years old or more you need to buy a new one!  Unfortunately, doing research online, they only make mattresses to last about four years and you can research that on Sleep like the Dead!!  Has a lot of stuff on there regarding different mattresses!  I have bought two foam mattresses and paid a lot and neither one lasted over two years!  Well, this one lasted two years and three months!   Big whoop!  Companies do not stand behind their mattresses even tho' they say they do!  They lie!!!   So, research, research!  This time I'm getting a latex!
So, this could be the problem!
my problem is on my upper back, no rash, pain like a sunburn & it radiates from right to left.  I only get it in the afternoon & early evening (for the past year or so).  I notice that it flares up when I am under stress at work.  Interesting thing:  my doctor put me on Zoloft & clonopin for anxiety & it disappeared completely, until I lowered my dosage to wean off the meds.
So it is something related to the nerve endings and stress.  I am curious to know what it is. Herpes related? Anything is possible.  It is very similar to " first outbreak" skin sensitivity ! But why would this start 15 years after the fact out of nowhere???
It is amazing that so many people are experiencing the same thing. I'm curious how many of you out there are FEMALE.

1. autoimmune issues are more prevalent in women
2. there seems to be a few different issues described by people
3. I'm 46 years old & female

ME: last week, the skin on the inside of my left knee was super super painful to touch...but just in a very specific oval-ish area...right outside that area, no pain....but right inside that area, I couldn't even touch my skin without pain. There was no bruising, no swelling, no rash.

I had recently bruised my upper thigh and then hurt my ankle...so I was confused why my knee area hurt... and it was just the skin. A doctor friend I know said it was related to my immune system and that I needed to eat bananas (for potassium). About 24 hours later, the pain was gone...like it never existed...

I have had a lot of joint pain in my fingers...sometimes just one finger..sometimes all. Not all the joints... just the middle joint in any finger. The # of fingers affected can change on a daily basis.

I have had several blood tests at different times to test for all sorts of possible rheumatological issues...lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, etc.etc...all negative.  I have a LOT of allergies (respiratory)...and a challenged autoimmune system. Because I take ClaritinD24 every day, I have Reynaud's (caused by the pseudophedrine); I have allergy associated asthma;

A new symptom just occurred yesterday and last night:  when I was sleeping, my left leg was bent. I was awakened by severe pain....right where the skin had been tender.... and I couldn't straighten my leg out. I had to use my right foot to push my leg open.  After it had straightened out, the pain subsided.  The 2nd time this happened is when I realized that the pain was right where the skin had been hurting.

This new pain and the skin pain appear to be related in some way...

I haven't gone to see a doctor yet...because I have only had the painful skin once... I vaguely remember getting this before, but I didn't pay attention to it before.

So far I've read about the following issues:
Herpes
Shingles
Postherpetic neuralgia
Fibromylagia (fibromyalgia)
meralgia paresthetica
...

But these all have very different characteristics... none apply to me.

I'll keep researching... it's fascinating that so many people are experiencing the same symptoms... would be great if the medical community could pay attention to this forum.
I get the sore skin in the exact places.... Right side of head.....hair hurts...left leg above the knee. Other viral symptoms noticeable such as runny nose, headache, scratchy throat, and runny eyes. I get this about 4 times per year. Mystery.