Thick dead skin on fingers

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Thick dead skin on fingers

When I was young I had common warts on my fingers and thumbs.  I had them all "burned" off using acid.  Ever since then, the skin where they used to be consistently produces a thick, dead layer.  If the layer is peeled off, new tender skin underneath is exposed.  The process will then repeat itself.  Whenever the thick layer is exposed to water, it turns white and looks awful.  However, when dry, I can still see normal skin lines on most of the affected areas.

I have been to a dermatologist, who more or less shrugged her shoulders and claims it is some form of eczema. I was given a strong topical steroid which helps, but did not succeed in clearing up the issue. I also tried pairing Prednisone with the topical steroid, but did not see the results I wanted. Using hand lotion has not helped either.  I have been dealing with this for 10 years, so I doubt it will go away on its own.  I'm about ready to go to another dermatologist for a second opinion, but I fear they will give me the same story.

Any feedback the community can offer is greatly appreciated.
Treatment of scabies is specific and consists of topical medicines like permethrin, malathion, lindane and tea tree oil and oral medicine like ivermectin. It is highly contagious and is transmissible from daily household articles also and so they may also require the treatment. The treatment that your dermatologist has advised i.ee permethrin cream is to be applied for 12 hrs. You can apply the cream at night and leave it overnight for effect.
I hope it helps. Take care and regards.
The symptoms are suggestive of exfoliative keratolysis. The first sign is one or more superficial air-filled blisters on the fingers or palms. The blisters burst to leave tender, circular areas. The symptoms are aggravated by exposure to irritants including water, soap, detergents and solvents. Treatment includes protection from irritants, emollients hand creams and phototherapy in severe cases.
During the day, hydrate and protect hands with a protective and moisturizing cream. At night, repair them with creams formulated from glycolic acid—a must for improving skin texture and tone. For a more intensive nighttime treatment, apply cream and then cover hands with gloves or socks. Your body heat helps the cream sink deeper into the skin. I would also suggest you to avoid washing hands with soap repeatedly and use gloves while doing any household work.
If the symptoms persist then please get an evaluation done from a dermatologist.
I hope it helps. Take care and regards.
Thanks for the reply.  There are definitely no blisters present, just a reoccurring layer of thick, dead skin.
hey TNMan28 how are you ?
i've been googling around and found these posts of what u having.
its sad to hear that u'r having this problem for over ten years without having any solution.
i'm having the same problem right on the fnger tips,and it started a year ago, without any warning. it started when i was working with something called "rockwool " its used for thermal and accoustic insulation.its a mineral wool.
so i'm curious if u have found any solution for it.thanks .
THE COOK
Hi, my daugther is 5 years old and sins the age of 6 months started getting really big patches of wart like thick skin which is a dark brown with dark hair on.  She has it all over her body. I live in South Africa and don't have medical aid. I took her to the local clinic and they told me it is probably ezeema. After using countless ointments I researced ezeema and I'm certain it is not. Can anybody tell me what it could be? Sometimes it burst open and bleed.