Dermatology Expert Forum
Top of Scalp/Soft Spot

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Top of Scalp/Soft Spot

Dear Docotr, Since April, i have suffered with this.  Weird feeling on the top of my scalp, some sores, burning and made worse my eating and talking. There is a lil pain but tolerable.

I saw a dematologist a month ago and he said Acne Melaris?  Stress?

He Rx'd Achromycin and a scalp med (cormax)special shampoo and none of this has helped.  I have finished all these 2 weeks ago.

I recently read where a lady posted on the MGH site that she had Cranial Inflammation right under the top of her scalp and finally was diagnosed after fighting this scalp pain for 6 months and given Neurontin.

Also, in April, my vision decreased and I had/have severe glare problems.  I do not know if there is a relation to the scalp problem and the eyes?

I do not know where to turn with this.  Hve you ever heard of something like this?  Clue?

Cortizone help?

Thank You.

Lana:

To be frank, your symptoms do not add up to a simple diagnosis I have seen.  I also can't guess at the meaning of "Acne melaris."  

Some of your symptoms sound as though they may be related to the eye or the nervous system, so doctors in thise areas may help.

I will say, however, that anxiety and stress may well be related to these symptoms.  If you can't get them to go away by waiting or consulting other physicians, you might want to look into psychological counseling or stress management.

Good luck.

Dr. R
Dear Dr./Lana

I have had some of the same symptoms that Lana has described.  In fact, it's more of a lump in the center of my head.  I've had this problem for the last year but this year it's really gotten out of control.  Before, little bumps (unnoticeable to the eye but very painful) would come up and hair in that area would fall out or grown in very thin.  In the last three or four months it's ridiculous.  The hair in that area has fallen completely out and it appears as it it has spread to the left side of my head.  The few bumps come and go but after they leave the hair (what little there is and what little that seems to grow there) comes in very coarse, rough and uneven.  I've never had a problem with my hair before and this is killing me.  I'm practically bald in the back (and now almost on the left side).  I haven't been to a dermatologist because I'm too embarrassed. Please help!!

Thank You!
Cheryl:

Do yourself a favor, overcome your embarrassment, and see a dermatologist.  Your condition needs to be properly diagnosed to be adequately treated.

Best.

Dr. R
I too have been fighting an unknown scalp disorder for over two years.  I have gone to two very good dermatologists, have had biopsies taken, been treated with hydrocortisone, special scalp shampoos, antibotics, short haircut, and whatever is suggested!  I have had no relief.  They almost go away, then come back with a mean spirit.  They itch, burn, ooze, hurt and bleed.  I try not to scratch them, but I am still fighting them.  My entire scalp is now covered, but it started on the left side of the crown area.  Then it just kept creeping to the rest of my scalp.  I am on Neurontin and have been for about a month.  The only difference I can tell is that the electric sensation I was getting is starting to fade.  But the scalp is still the same.  I have tried taking time off from work, taken tranquilizers, take Zoloft and still I have no relief.  There has been no name given to my disorder, and to this date, no one has been able to help.  Isn't there someone out there who would know?
Mary:

Of course, it's not appropriate for me to comment on such a complicated and debilitating condition as yours.  I will, however, say that in my expereince people who pick mercilessly at their scalp sometimes have a variant of OCD, or obsessive-compulsive disorder.  I suggest you consider visiting a physician (usually a psychiatrist) who specializes in treating this condition.  This does NOT mean it's "all in your head" or that you need to talk through your issues.  This is an objective condition, for which good psychopharmacologic treatment is available.

Good luck.  You can be helped.

Dr. R