Unbearably itchy skin but no rash!

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Unbearably itchy skin but no rash!

For the past few years, I have had a problem with unbearable itchy skin. It occurs mostly on my arms and legs, but sometimes on my stomach as well. Recently I have even been getting small rashes on the tops of my hands; they manifest as small light red bumps, and usually last a few hours. The itchiness is worse after I shave, but even if I go for weeks without shaving, it still itches.

I have tried changing my laundry detergent and shower products, using all kinds of moisturizers, and nothing seems to help. I started using Sarna, and no matter how much I use, it doesn't alleviate the problem. My mother used Sarna on a small irritation she had, and said that it cleared up within a few days, but I have been using it for a month now and haven't seen any improvement.

My itchiness has been getting much worse this year, and it's starting to make people stare because I'm scratching so much. It's so bad that it's starting to keep me awake at night. There usually isn't any rash or hives or redness, except in the case of the red bumps on my hands and occasionally my forearms. I went to a dermatologist who gave me some samples of an anti-itch cortisone cream, but it didn't help at all.

I'm desperate! Does anyone have any ideas?
Hi Gaby - I am not a doctor but I do have dry skin. What kind of soap do you use?? You should use something extremely gentle, like Dove sensitive skin. you should definitely always stay away from fragrance as that can be very irritating. I usually put johnson's baby oil on as soon as I get out of the shower because that locks in moisture very well. Maybe try using something gentle like a cetaphil moisturizer. Also, try to wear cotton because it allows your skin to breathe!! If you are still having problems, you should see a DIFFERENT doctor since he didn't help you before. Good luck, hope you feel better!
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Generalized itching with no rash can be caused by an illness or from the environment. This could be a  symptom of kidney, liver,  thyroid disease, diabetes, and lymphatic cancer. Environmental conditions, such as dry or very humid climates, can cause excessive dry skin that may produce itching. Presence of depression, and other emotional stress can cause a persistent itch that disappears when the problem is under control. Try to avoid scratching to prevent secondary infection.  Cold packs, calamine lotion,  or over-the-counter oral antihistamine may help provide relief.  Try also to avoid excessive heat and sweating. If it persists, have this evaluated further for proper management and to rule out other conditions mentioned above.

Take care and keep us posted.
if you use fabric softener stop your skin is sucking it up and breaking your skin out.i had to go to a mild detergent like purex anything else was too strong and made me break out in a rashr