Unexplained "scratches" and bleeding

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Unexplained "scratches" and bleeding

My little niece, 8 years old, has been suffering from spontaneous bleeding and unexplained splits/cuts/scratches - whatever you like to call them - for the last 3 months, ever since having the flu jab. The condition started the day after the flu vaccination, when my niece told her Mum that her finger tips "were going to explode" - each finger started bleeding soon after.  This was followed, over the next few days, by bleeding from her toes.  Ever since then, she has been experiencing splits in her skin.  These 'scratches' appear mainly on her legs and arms, but have also been on her tummy, her back and on the back of her neck.  This week they have started on her face.  She knows exactly where the 'scratches' are going to appear - my sister has taken lots of photos of each stage - redness followed by splitting skin. These scratches are nearly always a series of three very straight parallel lines, very close together, usually about 3 " long.  My niece is just a little girl, and is extremely frightened, because no-one seems to be able to help her; she is also in a lot of pain and feeling ill. My sister has taken her to numerous doctors and specialists, but no-one knows what it is. She has had the whole spectrum of blood tests for everything from leukaemia/platelets/ vasculitis/lupus/red and white cell counts -- everything -- all have come up negative.  This, of course, is good news, BUT no-one can tell us what IS causing the bleeding.  She is definitely NOT self-harming. The condition improved slightly when our doctor prescribed steroids - 5 days after the first pills, the bleeding stopped and my niece felt much better.  The doctor wants to get her off steroids ASAP though, and every time the dosage is reduced, the bleeding starts again - this week she has gone down to one pill, and the bleeding has started on her face - something that hasn't happened before.  This week she has also had blisters appearing on her body - my sister says it looks like the herpes virus rash my niece had before  (My niece was diagnosed with shingles in early autumn - before she had the flu vaccination -- is there a connection?????).  I am really hoping someone out there can help us.  I am particularly interested in talking to anyone who has experienced similar "scratches" -- have you had shingles and/or another form of the herpes virus?   Have you had the flu jab?  Have you had swine flu? (My niece had swine flu 3 years ago - can the virus lie dormant???) Have you had allergic reactions to the flu jab?? Does anyone know of any link between the flu and herpes viruses???  We are desperate for ANY help that ANYONE can give us.  Thank you for reading this.