Upper Lip Line Discoloration

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Upper Lip Line Discoloration

Hi.  My 30-year-old son has a dark red pigmentation line along his upper lip.  It is slightly raised.  He has no idea how this could have happened.  Please give some explanations and treatments.  Thank you.........
Melasma is a common skin disorder. It causes skin discoloration (tan, brown or black) on sun-exposed areas of the face. It is especially common in pregnant women, women who are taking oral contraceptives, and women taking hormone replacement therapy during menopause but it does occur in males sometimes. The condition is usually seen in the 2nd and 3rd decade of life.

The rash is usually symmetrical and present on the cheeks, lips (including upper lips), nose or the forehead. Sun exposure is strongly associated with melasma.

Diagnosis is based upon the appearance of your skin. Your physician may examine your skin with a Wood’s lamp.

However, the best treatment for melasma is prevention. One should avoid the sun and use daily sunscreen. There are a number of treatment options available such as bleaching creams containing hydroquinone, tretinoin plus cortisone creams, chemical peels, laser and Intense Pulsed Light Therapy (IPL). You may discuss with your doctor about these treatment options.

However, it is important to remember that any treatment should be initiated only under medical supervision.

Take care

Thank you.  Yes, I have read about melasma.  However, this is not what my son has.  His darker pigmentation is just along the edge of his upper lip.  It is thin and so perfect that it looks like he used lip liner or lipstick to outline his upper lip.  Any further ideas?  Thanks again, Lyricom
My boyfriend has the same thing. We think it's just chapped but I'm not sure.. it's a thin red line ON the top of his upper lip. i don't know what it is, but he says it kind of burns.
I know exactly what you mean. My 4 year-old son has the same thing on his upperlip. It's on his lip, but only on the upper part of it like dark red lipliner. Sometimes it goes away for awhile and then comes back. It almost seems to look worse when he is upset about something. Have you found out anything more about this? My doctor brushed it off like it was nothing. I don't know what to do, but you would think this is happening for a reason. Thanks.
Hi, I hope my story will help those of you worried. I am a 20 year old male that has the same problem as your son but the problem has subsided since I moved back to Texas from Colorado.

A then red line that would burn and looked almost as though my lip had grown they were so close to the same shade or red. It would last about a week. What I diagnosed myself with was chapped lips. Simple enough but why don't I see this more often? The reason I noticed this later in life is I moved to a dryer climate and had a problem licking my lips.My lips would dry out and make cause that line to reappear; like most things in life the more i messed with it the worse it became.

If this sounds probable, then just check to see if your son licks his lips or puckers his lips in occasionally. If so here are some things that helped me aside from moving back to Texas: the complete stop of licking my lips, reduce number of cigarettes (probably not a problem for your child haha), sunscreen, and Blistex lip medex.
I have the same line... Looks like I had a tattoo of lipliner applied just above my upper lip. Or, like I've started to loose pigmentation, or that my upper lip is no longer as full as it was. I am 33, and while I am out doors most every weekend, in Sacramento sun, I do use sunscreen and chap sticks. I even use a sunscreen chap stick! This began happening this year. I find it unsightly. Any other ideas?
I also have a dark brown line like lip liner on my upper lip.  I am 33 and female, the doctor tested me for adisons but, it is not that.
hello, i have the same thing- any idea what this is? Its a thin dark red/sometimes brownish line thats right along the edge of my upper lipe.. I've had it for almost a year, and its driving me crazy!

I've been to at least 8-9 dermatologists, dentists, oral surgeons, and no one knows what it is.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Phil