Upper lip & nose rash - Recurring

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Upper lip & nose rash - Recurring

I have had a recurring rash for 3 months. It started after I had a cold, I thought the skin was just raw from blowing my nose. The skin on my upper lip and around my nostrils was red and had a very "tight" feeling.

After a few days of this, my skin broke out in individual sores, that leaked a clear liquid that dried up and crusted over in a yellow crust that easily flaked off and revealed red raw skin.

It eventually cleared up after alot of burning, tingling and painful feeling. I will have about 1 week of a clear face, but then again the tight, burning feeling starts up again and the process of the leaking skin (without the blisters),crusts over with yellowing, then the peeling raw skin. I have gone through 3 flare ups in the last few months.

I have been prescribed 4 different creams, an oral antibiotic (for Impetigo) and now I am on another cream and anti-flammatory/anti-biotic.  But there still has not been any diagnosis of what this could be.

I have also been told that it could be due to stress and fatique, but I feel this could be a fungal infection. Any ideas would be great.
From the symptoms perioral dermatitis needs to be ruled out. Perioral dermatitis is a chronic papulopustular and eczematous facial dermatitis and does not involve the whole body. The most common locations are nasolabial fold and lateral portions of the lower eyelids.

Treatment consists of oral antibiotics and anti-inflammatory drugs. A mild soap or soap substitute, such as Dove or Cetaphil should be used for washing. Scrubbing should be avoided. Doxycycline is the preferred antibiotic for perioral dermatitis but minocycline can also be used. In unresponsive and granulomatous forms, oral isoterinoin may also be considered. Pimecrolimus cream can also be used. I suggest you to consult a dermatologist and discuss these treatment options with your dermatologist.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.