Vaginal Lichen Planus

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Vaginal Lichen Planus

I have been diagnosed with vaginal lichen planus. The treatment prescribed is doses of vitamin D because I am a little low in my count. I am in a lot of pain. Will this help me?
Lichen planus is an inflammatory disease that affects the skin and the oral mucosa.
Clinical experience suggests that Lichen planus of the skin alone is easier to treat as compared to one which is associated with oral and genital lesions.
Currently there is no cure for lichen planus but there are certain types of medicines used to reduce the effects of the inflammation. Lichen planus may go into a dormant state after treatment. There are also reports that lichen planus can flare up years after it is considered cured.
Medicines used to treat lichen planus include:
Oral and topical steroids.
Oral retinoids
immunosuppressant medications.
You can also discuss with your doctor the effectiveness of vaginal Hydrocortisone Suppositories.
ref:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lichen_planus
I'm a 29 year old male, this issue has been going on for about a year now, it has caused considerable damage not just physically but emotionally. I've been diagnosed with genital Lichen Planus yesterday by a dermatologist. I'm a male, but I was wondering if you had any luck treating your genital area?
I would love to talk with all of you. I've been having an issue for 2 years and it took self~diagnosis and with the recent flare up I am miserable.  I haven't done immune suppressant. Curious which ones to take and what doctor to see who actually know what to do. Gyn, primary, and derm all tell me to see the other! Sick of being in pain... it is like a yeast infection but worse. :(
I have had mouth sores in my mouth off & on over the past 8 yrs. I have other auto immune problems (chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia and now a gluten intolerance problem).
My mouth sores were so bad that I had trouble eating anything that required chewing.
Last October (2010) I stopped eating gluten and in a short time these sores disappeared! If I go off my gluten free diet thay come back. Try stopping gluten. It is a big change & effort at first but it is worth it!   Good luck.
PS -  no health professional was able to help me come to this solution, you have to do it on your own because there is not enough known about this sort of stuff.