Dermatology Expert Forum
Very Tiny/Red Blood Specks On Arms

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Very Tiny/Red Blood Specks On Arms

36 y/o male.  I've noticed recently (and I think they've been there for quite some time - several months?) extremely small specks of blood on my upper arms and on occasion, on my forearms, too.  I don't notice these things anywhere else on my body.  I do have a number cherry angiomas on my trunk, but these have been there for as long as I can remember and the specks I'm seeing on my arms are not circular - they are almost so small it's difficult to tell what shape they are exactly.  They almost look like dried up blood but in a very small, thin line in my skin.

I'm currently taking medication (nasal and pills) for allergies to dust mites, hayfever, etc. and will be starting shots soon for these allergies.  I've been diagnosed with severe rhinitis.

The small specks are smaller than a pin/needle point - unless you look hard it's almost difficult to see them.  I've probably noticed them over the last few months and they have not gotten any larger, they haven't spread that I can tell, etc.  I'm just curious if these are anything to have looked at and/or what their cause could be.

Could they be caused by clothing continuously rubbing up against my upper arms?  Allergic reaction to a detergent?  When would there be a point that I would need to have these examined?

I did have blood work performed in late April of this year and all results came back normal (including CBC, comp metabolic panel, etc.).

I've looked at my legs and other locations and haven't seen these there.  Just curious if you had any thoughts on what could be causing these and if they should be of any concern.  When I press on them they don't "go away;" same for the angiomas.

Thanks for your time.
I think these are probably more angiomas, which can be small at times, just as you describe.  I doubt that they represent anything serious.  I'd show your doctor next time you go, but I can't imagine that you'll have to do anything about them.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
I will do so and thanks for the input.

AJG
I have rashes on my legs, ankles, knees, tighs and a few on my arm and hands. it is very ichy. they apear like hard bumps under the skin and itches very badly. it is three days I have the problem. the number is not increasing or spreading to other parts of the body. but it is persistant. I used some cortizone creme thinking it would be gone if it is insect bite or alergy (allergy). at the mean time I had a suspecisous sexual encounter a year ago. could it be sign of HIV or what?
39 y/o male myself. I have noticed quite similar condition this summer. I have 6-8 tiny red dots in both my arms. Also have two cherry angiomas on my shoulder and 5 or so in my chest. Have noticed the ones on my arms this summer. I also found one just above my knee and another above my ankle, very small they are.

My wife also has a couple of cherry angiomas on her body, but none on arms or legs.

If you have some more info on them, I would like to hear it too.