Dermatology Expert Forum
Very itchy, red rash spreading from abdomen to arms, legs, neck and fac...

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Very itchy, red rash spreading from abdomen to arms, legs, neck and face...

I'm 16 weeks pregnant. Rash started in my belly button one week ago as intensely itchy, became raw,and scaly. the next day small red intensely itchy bumps started appearing on my belly. Since then it has spread..the bumps becoming one very red/pink smooth raised surface on my belly..and painfully itchy at times..bumps spreading to front of legs, forearms, neck and now face, with even a few bumps on my lips. It is more painfully itchy now, so that if I scratch it at all, it hurts and I feel like I just want to pinch it instead..I try not to touch it at all, though.

We've tried Synalar, Today would be 48 hours since first time I applied Synalar..it perhaps holds some of the itching down, but that could also be the aveeno cream..other then that, I feel like it's not helping. My Dr. then thought that it looked like a drug reaction rash and took me off of my prenatal vitamins. It has been about 30-36 hours since my last prenatal and rash is still spreading. I am very uncomfortable and actually getting a little scared.I will be seeing a dermatologist on Monday if it has not improved by then.

I have developed a sore throat and some congestion, but assuming that it is a cold developing.

If you have any suggestions, please help. I'm getting desperate.

Sara J
Sara:

Don't be scared.  Pregnant women get a variety of itchy rashes, which are annoying but not serious.  To tide you over till you see the dermatologist, try using oatmal baths (any brand) and Sarna lotion as needed (both need no Rx.)

I understand why the doctor took you off vitamins, but that isn't a very likely cause.

Don't be surprised if the rash has subsided before you see the doctor.

Best of luck with your new baby.

Dr. Rockoff
Sounds like something I had a couple yearsago, never figured out what it was, but the same thing happened to me. I was taking a greyhound bus to Idaho, by the time I got there ( 24 hours ) i was sick. Sore throat, congestion, and that awful rash. I took showers ( very hot ) only to find out it got worse. When I came back to Portland a week later, I went to the emergency room, only to be put in isolation. Then they decided all I needed was Benadryl. (It did'nt work)To this day, I never figured out what it was.
I HAVE THE VERY SAME RASH, LOOKED LIKE A RINGWORM AT FIRST THEM SPREAD AND NOW IS EXCESSIVELY OVER MY CHEST, ARMS AND STOMACH. IT ITCHES AT TIMES AND IS LEAVING DARK MARKS ON MY BODY, A FAR CRY FROM THE CLEAR SKIN I HAD JUST TWO WEEKS AGO, I GOT A RX FOR SPECTAZOLE AND OT DOESN'T SEEM TO BE IMPROVING ANY, ANY HELP OUT THERE, I WANT ME CLEAR SKIN BACK, I LOOK LIKE A LEOPARD.
A related discussion, Red Rash Spreading was started.
A related discussion, rash very itchy and many bumps mostly on chest was started.
A related discussion, Skin rashes was started.
A related discussion, whats wrong with me was started.
A related discussion, Very itchey rash was started.