Warts and Zinc

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Warts and Zinc

I keep getting warts, I dont know what to do. I got them when I was 10, they were all burned off and that was the end of that. well now 12 years later, they have resurfaced ...I had my daughter a year ago and stop breastfeeding a month ago. 5 months after I had her I started getting the warts again, and im talking about on my hands. Everytime I burn one off with the wart removers pads I think im free and clear and then a new one pops up on a different finger. All in total ive probably had 20 in the last 6 months. At current time I just had 3 new ones pop up..im sick of dealing with this and my doctor is no help, just tells me I have to keep burning them off..I cant live like this forever with bandaids all over my fingers..im sick of being a freak..

I want to try using zinc for my warts..as I read about the study reported in the British Journal of Dermatology about using oral zinc for recalcitrant warts. but my doctor told me no that hes never heard of that and too much zinc is dangerous..the clinical trial they used up to 600mg of zinc a day..but Fourteen of the 23 zinc-treated patients had complete remission of their warts after one month of treatment. Complete clearance of warts was noted in 20 patients after two months...NO ONE in the Placebo group showed ANY improvements..so why wont my doctor listen to me? this sounds soo promising and im sick of dealing with this problem
  • wart whole body (1 replies):
    i have wart in my whole body?what can i do?
  • give me wart treatment (1 replies):
    i have a white wart on my lower lip.there is no pain in ...[more]
  • help (1 replies):
    i have a wart on my testicle, it just one wart i've had ...[more]
  • Warts (1 replies):
    I have 1 bit big and 5 small warts on my nect from 8 mon...[more]
  • Lip Warts Suck! (2 replies):
    Does anyone know how to get rid of warts on the outside ...[more]
Studies have found conflicting results of the effect of zinc on viral warts. Well-conducted studies are needed to clarify these early results. So we cannot confirm whether zinc is beneficial in warts or not. Regarding the treatment part, many modes of treatment are available. For small warts, several medications(like podophyllum resin, Podofilox (Condylox), Trichloroacetic and bichloroacetic acids, Imiquimod 5% cream and interferons) are available, which can be applied directly to the surface of the warts. Other treatment options include electrical cautery, surgical removal, Carbon dioxide laser treatment and electrodesiccation.

In my opinion you should talk to a cosmetologist/dermatologist about the treatment options.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

My 12 year-old son has been having the same problem.  After the second visit to the dermatologist, she suggested adding zinc to his diet.  I'm going to go through with it and see how it works!  I know Zinc affects the stomach, so I'm going to give him his supplement at meal times.