Dermatology Expert Forum
What is the name of the medication used to kill parasites that is taken...

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

What is the name of the medication used to kill parasites that is taken internal

Several weeks ago I was diagnosed with Scabies. I was given Elimite and used it from head to toe covering all parts of my body thoroughly. I kept it on for the max of 14 hours and washed it off. I was told that I would still feel some itching for the next couple of weeks but what I was not prepared for was getting NEW BITES starting from the next day after I used the medication. Each time I felt a new bite I put a little medication on it for the next two weeks untill finally I re:doused myself with the medication. I thought the second treatment would do it for good. I thought I was dealing with the eggs that were hatching and this would kill the eggs. No such luck. Again I had new bites right away.

This happened to me once before and the Dermatologist gave me an internal medication that was new at the time for killing parasites. They went right away. I would like to suggest this to my Dermatologist but don't remember the name of the medication. Would you Please tell me the name of the medication? I am also open to any other suggestions you may have.  Itching in Calif.
Scabies doesn't cause "bites."  I actually don't know what you are referring to when you say you are seeing these.  They could be blocked pores, scratched pimples, or whatever, but not scabies.  I would not continue to use Elimite, on spots or all over, since that can be irritating.  You need to apply an itch lotion (Benadryl, Sarna) on on any itchy spots, to leave the spots unscratched so the doctor can tell what they are, and to show them to the doctor.  As to internal medicines killing parasites, there are such but I never find the need to use them.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Although 5% permethrin cream (elimite) is the DOC for scabies, cases that are refractive to its treatment have been shown to respond to po Ivermectin.  I'm no doctor (just a medical student), but if your scabies is not responding, you may want to check into it.
There are many.  Most common is vermox...mebendazole chewable tablets.
hello I have a question ?...I volunteered at a animal shelter for a couple of month ,and some of the animal's there had demodex mites and I know for a fact that I have it now also...I saw my primary doctor who thinks its nothing, but I know its demodex mites because I have all the symtoms (symptoms).I am now going to college for nursing & it ***** to be scratching my scalp & face all the time what do I do.....please help what medicine can kill this..