White Circles Under Eye
I am a 25-year old, white female.  My skin is very fair and prone to freckling and burns.  I have had white (much lighter than the rest of the skin on my face) circles under my eyes for the past 6-9 months.  I can cover them with makeup to help them blend with the rest of my skin, but I would like to fix the problem.  Please let me know what this is and if there is a solution.  Thank you for your time.
Hi Everyone,
I think a cure MAY have been found!! Id like to take the credit but it was andy3030 (see above) who has suggested it to me. I sent him a private message a few weeks ago as I did to a few people who previously posted on this thread to see if theyd found cure. Andy has told me that he has recently been using a sinuses nasal spray and that it has gotten rid of the white circles.
I never realised it until he said so but I have been sufferring from sinuses for years. I have always had blocked airways specifically behind the cheeks on the sides of the nose. If you look at sinuses charts the nasal passage is on either side of the nose. If it has been blocked it may have been preventing blood flow into the under eye area hence causing paleness. Ive started using a nasal spray to unblock the area and colour seems to be returning to the area. It is still early days as I just started doing this a day ago but I think it is working. Also for once my airways are unblocked so I can breath through my nose lol! And I never even realised that it was blocked!!
Could blocked sinuses be the cause??
to everyone on here i have finally found the cure, it is sinus related and just by taking something as simple as sudafed tablets clears the racoon eyes,
its tried and tested by me and another member (jongal)  on this site, and i can confirm its related to sinus problems , hope this helps everyone,
its only took me 6 years to find the cure , haha , never mind got there in the end
OMG I'm so happy that there may be a little light at the end of the tunnel.  I actually just woke up today and bam white circles around my eyes.  I can not believe this is happening.  It would make scense for it to be sinus related.  I have noticed that in the morning when I wake up my nose is clogged and cant breath though it until I've been awake and upright for 30 minutes.  Going to try the nasal spray....thank you and will let you know if it also works for me....
hi, i definitely have blocked sinuses. i live in china and cant seem to get good meds to cure it. i try usig a netti the odd time and it clear the sinuses a bit. but the paleness around the eyes persists. could this be rosacea, where the bllod vessels in the cheeks expand cauing the face or cheeks area to become red? id like to know how you got on with the spray tashaisbusy, does it appear to be working?
i think i could be onto something. i have noticed that i am very tense in the face. i have done some research and it appears that facial tension restricts bllod flow causing wrinkles and discoloration. my face actually feels kinds sore from the tensing that i do. heres a link which gives more info:

http://www.prlog.org/11846004-bio-inc-introduces-first-ever-age-defying-stress-muscle-tension-relaxing-beauty-elixir.html

Thanks for all the advice, I have the same problem and will tryuggestions here. I'll keep ya all posted if I make any progress. :)
could it be iron deficiency?
wow!  Never did i think so many people had the same problem as me.  I have suffered from white under eye circles for many years.  I dont drink any alcohol or caffeine I dont smoke I eat healthy.  I have never noticed anyone else with this issue so hopefully that means youve been out there but it isnt as noticable to others at it seems to us.  I use blush to cover mine as it seems that makeup as some have stated would cake and draw more attention to it.  I have had my throid checked blood work is good, slightly anemic but not bad.  I did suffer from a severe sunburn from tanning bed in my teens and I am now 39 this started in my late 20's.  I do look like I have puffy bags under my eyes but i really dont.  There is not fluid retention it just looks like it due to the bright whiteness so I am not puffy just appear to be.  I hope someone can help all of us.  It sounds as though most are doing the right things and still nothing.  There must be something out there.
READ -READ-READ-READ -READ-READ-READ -READ-READ-READ

Hi Dayna,

I posted on here Sep 10, 2010  - I have the same problem and believe it was triggered (like you) by a huge sunburn. This created a degeneration of my immune system and my anti-bodies now kill my melanine cells as if it was an infection.
Just to make sure we are on the same page; this is what I have:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1187180/Using-sunbed-left-permanent-panda-eyes.html

This is a life-long condition (such is cancer) in a sense that it can never be cured, solely managed to reduce/neutralise its effects. The zone most affected are zone of frictions (hands and eyes are often first touched). As a rule of thumb to prevent new patches to appear or old ones to develop you must avoid scratching your body under any cicumstance (.e.g use a bath robe instead of drying yourself with a towel)

Anyway, the IMPORTANT BIT now is that I MAY HAVE FOUND A CURE, I have been to many dermatologists and all said there was nothing to do about it. I did not give up and took an appointement with a reknown Professor inmy area in France who specialises in rare skin conditions. She diagnosed me straight away with a vitiligo (so far no surpise!) but also said it could be cured within 3 to 4 months! (wtf!?)
She said that her treatment was proved effective on many of her patients and there was 90% chances it would disappear on my face. However it is not possible on hands due to the constant frictions with carrying/holding objects.

The cream she prescribed is made up of cortisone and she asked me to get a 'light' exposure to the sun daily to stimulate and duplicate the remaining melanine cells stuck in the hair folicules around the areas.

I  heard about this cure before but did not know it worked for areas such as eyes where skin is very sensitive, She said it work and I would be cured in less than 4 months :))

I will wait to see noticeable progress on my face before mentioning the cream's name as I want to provide reliable information to you all, not something that won't work!

Hope this will work for me (and you all)! Speak in a few weeks.

Thomas
Hi Thomas, how did the cortisone treatment go? Like everyone else here this issue is really bugging me and your feedback would be much appreciated:)
By the way, the treatment costs €40 for 3months, which is more than cheap! But in France medical costs are subventioned by the Gov, so not sure elsewhere how much it would cost but cant be too expensive in any case!
Hi Thomas, how did the cortisone treatment go? Did it work to treat the white circles? Thank very much for your response - like everyone else here this issue is really bugging me!
do any of you guys suffer from stress, or emotional distress? Ido, and often have a churning stomach and tension in the tummy area. Maybe this could be due to adrenal problems, as more adrenaline is secreted when we are stressed out.
Also do you guys suffer from anything else, any illness or anything. From a holisitc perspective everything is in some way connected. It would be interesting to know!
Cheers!
hey, i think the answer may be adrenal depletion. do you guys feel tired often and have difficulty sleeping. adrenal glands produce hormones which affect skin colour. and can cause changes to skin pigment. do a google search and youll see. i certainly suffer frm adrenal depletion as i suffer from chronic stress.
Hey all, I read this thread a while ago and generally I fall into feeling OK with the white circles under my eyes as I get more pale, then occasionally I'll go to a beach or something and naturally the white circles will get more noticeable as I get more tan, as many have noted. I am positive mine originally came (now around for 2-3 years) from using a tanning bed where I did not use goggles - I didn't think it mattered, then I noticed the under eye effect, and sure enough it's been around ever since.

I am intrigued that some of you have reported potential cures, it seems like getting oil production to come back is the only real way it could happen - sinus infections don't make sense to me, unless it's possible that the people here are reporting two different conditions, because we seem somewhat split. I will however try it, because at times this is a depressing condition and anything seems worth trying. I have been able to look past it and start forgetting it's there when these things combine for me:

-I drink lots of water/am not dehyrdrated
-I am not that tan, so the difference between pigmentation isn't strong
-I apply under eye makeup (as a guy :/)

I too have it slightly worse under my left eye which is strange. I have considered going to a dermatologist but at times, it hasn't been *that* bad or debilitating to cause it. However, here I am after a week beach vacation now insecure about it again. So it goes.
After seeing 2 different doctors, 1st question was asked, Do you have high cholesterol, which yes I do. they say there is no cure except to have it removed. I am having one done on Friday. Even if you lower your cholesterol its to late.
I had 1 removed today,  heres some good info that I found.                       Xanthelasma (or xanthelasma palpebrarum) is a sharply demarcated yellowish deposit of cholesterol underneath the skin, usually on or around the eyelids.[1] Although not harmful or painful, these minor growths may be disfiguring and can be removed.[1] They are common in people of Asian origin and those from the Mediterranean region.
Because of the hereditary component, they may or may not indicate high blood levels of cholesterol. Where there is no family history of xanthelasmata, they usually indicate high cholesterol and may correlate with a risk of atheromatous disease.
A xanthelasma may instead be referred to as a xanthoma when becoming larger and nodular, assuming tumorous proportions.[2] Still, xanthelasma is often classified simply as a subtype of xanthoma.[3]
hey,
i have googled Xanthelasma and it is totally different to what i have. my skin is smooth with no bumps. it is just paler than the rest of my face, the cheeks etc!
How's the treatment going? Any noticeable results yet?
mine were not bumps, smooth and pale, so happy my insurance covered the removals. Had both eyes done and only cost the copay. My doctor didnt think it would be covered, untill they checked in to it better. I sure  wish I could post a picture of it cause mine didnt look like what was in the picture either. But Docs. can remove them.
Hey guys,
this is starting to depress me Im a 28 years old guy, had this around 3 years now! Im trying the paleo diet to see if it works. Has anyone made any advances?
J
Hi Tracy,
it's been a while since you post this comment, but have you solved your problem? I have had these white circles on my eyes for the last 3 years (I am 33 now) and still haven't found an explanation or a solution, even the dermathologist said he didn't have a clue... probably vitiglio he said (hooray!)
Good to know we are not alone!!
All the best
M
Hello MissPi, I believe this is sun damage in some cases and could possibly be vitiligo in others, we are all so different.  Anyway, with summer on us once again, I am kind of learning to live with this, although I HAVE begun using a skin lightener/regulator that more evenly regulates pigment and fades any "hyper" pigmentation (or darker areas) to make things look more even.  It contains hydroquinone, which is not supposed to be for long term use, however, I have found it is the ONLY thing that seems to make this look better at all.  (the product I am using is called "Clear" from the Obagi NuDerm line and is the ONLY thing that has ever helped this appear less noticeable and I have tried everything!).

In my particular case, the whiter areas are also of a completely different texture (smooth, white, hairless, poreless) so that is another issue I am dealing with.  

Interestingly enough, I just visited a local opthamologist yesterday for an eye exam, she commented on my "rosacea" (as I wanted to show up not wearing makeup so she could see what I was talking about) and this is what makes the most sense to me.  I know there is a strong connection with rosacea and "ocular rosacea" (I've had severe dry eye for well over a year now).  Luckily, there is no infection or anything in my eyes, just severely dry which I believe is contributing to the whiter looking areas right under them.  Add to that equation the fact that the rest of my face (lower mostly) is very red, constantly, and how that contrasts with the other areas and this makes the most sense to me of why these "panda eyes" are like this.  I believe that the skin pigment issues, though, (whiter areas) were originally caused by a severe sunburn two summers ago (well nearly three now!), that sent away and took away some of the skin pigment with it.  

The reason that I believe this so strongly is because immediately upon seeing TWO different dermatologists, BOTH immediately said "oh that's sun damage."  (the whiter looking areas).  I did tan like a crazy person for a long time, with no sun protection so this makes total sense to me.  Also I now use spf55 daily, no matter the weather, always wear my sunglasses (even when the sky is sprinkling, no lie!) and am beyond a coworker wondering why I am wearing sunglasses when it is raining and we are all outside smoking on our break!  I don't care, I only know if I didn't it would make this look WORSE so too bad on them.  Let them wonder, it makes me different, right?  :)  I always joke "hey when you are cool, the sun always shines on you."  lol!  

So as for the best way to conceal this (as a woman anyhow I feel much more empathy for the men out there dealing with this where makeup is not an option), I use a heavily pigmented foundation OVER a product called Dermablend (I apply the Dermablend to the whitest looking areas as a "concealer" then apply foundation all over to make it more even).  I use MAC (although my bottle is almost empty and it's EXPENSIVE but the best I have found to cover), when that happens, I will go back to the more budget friendly (but also very effective and highly pigmented Color Stay by Revlon, you can purchase at any Walmart or pharmacy, it's about ten bucks a bottle vs. $30 for MAC!).  It lasts for a very long time after you've put it on, the hardest challenge is finding the right color/shade match but once you have experimented and done that I think you will find it really helps to cover this pretty well (never completely but I digress) at least enough you can function and not be totally insecure constantly, especially while at work.  I have also started to brush a light coat of "bronze" colored powder blush directly on my upper cheeksbones which kind of mimics a tan of sorts so it makes the contrast less noticeable.  Hope this helps someone!!!!!!  This really ***** to deal with and trust me I know how hard it is!
maybe you've been sessioning far too much. a friend of mine went on a 3 day bender last week and now also has white circles around his eyes. this is more commonly known as Gow syndrome.
it can be treated with multi-vitamins and 8 hours sleep a night until they dissipate.
I have had this problem now for just over 4 years.  It started during a very stressful time in my life.  Now it has spread to my cheek area, and like some of you have commented - it is a different textured skin - smooth, white, non-porous, with a lot less elasticity than the rest of my skin.  I also have tried everything.  Right now I am using DermaBlend to cover the white, but I can still see the difference in texture etc. when the light is shining on my face.  Would love to come up with a solution.  Can't believe there are no dermatologists out there who have found a solution.  I would be willing to pay whatever the cost.  It's not like being overweight - there's hope that you can someday lose the excess.  Right now I feel there is no hope and I can't imagine what I'm going to look like in 5 years,  let alone more....  Please someone tell me they've found a solution.  I've read about applying turmeric and mustard seed oil twice daily, which I have started doing, but it says to re-pigment you need to do this for a year.  Has anyone tried this?
I could not find anything on an Internet search for Gow syndrome.
hey, ive had this problem for a few years. i recently met a dermatologist by chance on the street and she told me it was a condition called Seborrhoeic dermatitis.
does what ye guys have look like this http://www.dermnet.com/images/Seborrheic-Dermatitis/picture/7362
This is what my conditon looks like.

Although the vitiligo patches have not gone entirely they have reduced drastically and are hardly noticeable now. The real effect has been that the line btwn tanned and white areas faded away.
I think the effect would be more pronounced if I lived in a sunny area. Unfortunately I live in the UK at the moment

Anyone with vitiligo ought to try this treatment !
Hi Toma,
But how did you do this then. Was it what your French skin specialist gave you and if so how is this called? You said " I will wait to see noticeable progress on my face before mentioning the cream's name as I want to provide reliable information to you all, not something that won't work!"
I live in France, sun enough but I stay out of it with my face for reasons we all seem  to have.  And yes I am my life long, I am 63 now, a stress kicker and have an exhausted adrenal gland. So cortison is lacking.  Your storie makes sense to me.

"Anyone with vitiligo ought to try this treatment ! "    ...I'm glad it worked for you -- would you be so kind as to reference the name of the cream?  I want to give it a try -- Thanks!
Just thought I'd throw it out there in hopes of helping someone else. I live in Hawaii, often people get white spots on their back/trunk and locally it is nicknamed 'haole rot'. Before moving from Seattle, where I went to tanning beds regularly in effort to prevent SAD, I had this skin condition not knowing what it was. Long story short I went to a doctor and got diagnosed with Versicolor Tinea, a fungus that affects the melanin of your skin. Read more here http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/tinea-versicolor-cause-symptoms-treatments.
I had it for over a year and after several doctors/ treatments later finally got properly diagnosed and prescribed Ketoconazole cream 2%. My back trunk has been spot free since. Unfortunately, now years later, I have noticed the same spots on my face now under my eyes. I will update on progress as t what my doctor has to say about the under eye spots. Hoping it is the same... as the candida diet, cream and suppliments cleared it up within weeks.
I'm a 30 year old female and noticed just last year these white circles around my eyes. I've read a lot of interesting things and I'm going to share....

I'm olive skinned, I've always tanned very easy. I went to the tanning bed and never wore goggles.

I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer when I was 26 and had the thyroid removed. I am on medicines for life for that.

I also have a pituitary tumor at the base of my brain.

After my wedding a year ago I stopped tanning. I didn't go to the tanning bed. About 6 months after I quit I noticed the circles. I went to the tanning bed thinking oh my gosh get the color back. And it was a huge fail. The white circles turn tomato red, and I got to stay like that for 2 days. To work and all.  

I notice the circles the most right after I get out of the hot shower. I look ridiculous. I've wrote down a few of the medical terms used throughout this posting. I have to do any research. I am currently at work, but intend to read up on this.

Good luck to all.
Hi  I too have white under my eyes,  I don't drink, never smoked, have a healthy diet etc etc and I am not over weight or anaemic.   I have been told
by beauty therapists I should be grateful as this " problem" is something
women pay big money to attain,  worse to have dark circles.   I never sun
bathe so nothing to do with sunglasses!!!!!!   I too am curious as I use
a product to make the skin less white.  It shows up occasionally on photos.
There has been quite a bit of "cures" or solutions that haven't been commented on after they were posted.  I'd assume that some of you have tried some of these possible solutions and it would be really valuable to get feedback from people.

Things I've tried and didn't help:

1.  I tried the nasal spray for about 2 weeks and I had no change.

2.  I've tried the zinc supplement and it didn't seem to help.  

I'm a male and at this point I want to try and cover it up while I'm trying to figure out a "cure."  I also obviously want it to be very hard to tell I have makeup on.  Haha.  Any suggestions on what I should wear to try and even out my complexion?

Also has anyone tried those spray on home machines?  Those seem like they would work really well but I'd love to hear if anyone else has given it a try.

I really how we can all help each other figure it out.

Jason  
i have the same problem too. people think I'm sunbathing with sunglasses on or been on a sun bed. very annoying!!!
i have the same problem. even concealer aint helping... I'm worried.
did it work ?
yep lol. but had 3 weeks off and caught up on sleep and still have it!!!
I'm a 34 year old woman and I first noticed this problem when I was 13.
I have fair skin, but have always tanned very easily at low altitudes. At that age, the only tanning I would have gotten would have been outside playing. My mother made me wear sunscreen sometimes, but since I hardly burned, it wasn't used often.
At age 13, I had a nice tan and didn't wear makeup. I started having people ask me if I had been tanning with sunglasses on, or had gone skiing with goggles. I said, uh, no, neither. It has been a question I've gotten all my life since then. At that time, what would happen, is simply that I would not tan under or around my eyes, which meant I had to use makeup to match those area to the rest of my face. I have had absolutely no other skin discoloration problems on my face or any other part of my body. I think I can confidently state that it is not vitiligo. It is not blotchy like some pictures of this problem I've seen online. Just a fading of the white part which does not tan to the darker part. Like wearing sunglasses.
Once I hit 30 or so, I looked closely at my undereyes and noticed that some tiny little white bumps had appeared at the boundary of the white and darker part. This may be a strange analogy, but it reminds me of how chicken skin looks after it has been plucked. The dots are quite minute but you can see them if you get close. They do not show up directly around my eyes and do not appear above my eyes at all. I have no idea what they are. The white area extends above my eyes to my eyebrows, and after my eyebrows, my skin tans/colors like normal.
A year ago I was diagnosed with a mild form of rosacea, which requires me to use a topical lotion. My skin has gotten redder since then so my white circles are becoming more noticeable. I'm considering getting laser treatment for my rosacea. Up until then, if I didn't tan, my circles weren't as noticeable. But with the red...
I would really like some insight on these skin issues. I plan on asking my dermatologist when I go, she is quite good, and if I learn anything I will post it here.

Melissa
I have had white circles under my eyes for years. Last winter they were really bad. In September I had a hair test done. My nutritionist gave me a list of 11 vitamins and minerals to take for 6 months. Just this past week i noticed the white circles are gone. I have no idea what the culprit was. I was very high in copper. My calcium, magnesium, potassium and sodium were all high.
I highly recommend getting your hair tested.
All the skin around my eyes (both above and below and on my eyelids) is white as snow, whilst the rest of my face tans.

I live in sunny Singapore now, but used sunbeds in the UK and US when I lived there. The sunbeds definitely caused the damage to my skin.

There does not appear to be any cure. Sunbeds should be banned.
This was posted before, but just in case you missed it: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1187180/Using-sunbed-left-permanent-panda-eyes.html
even i have the same problem from 10months and doctor told to apply tacrolimus ointment in night which had less effect,but from 1 month i apply tomato pulp on face and in night tacrolimus ointment and now 80% white patch had gone.even u try to apply tomato and see
I went to a doctor a few months ago and was diagnosed with rosacea. The same thing prince Harry has!
Seems like this was the culprit all along!
Best,
Jon
I suffer from this and have for years. I think it may be a combination of factors. There does appear to be less pigmentation there but the white circles will disappear if I go on holiday and am out in the sun more. I think maybe for some of us the underlying problem is exacerbated simply by the shape of our face. Most sun exposure comes from above, unless we are flat out sunbathing. Depending on the shape of your eye sockets , the base of your eyes and your eye sockets may well be fairly shaded much of the time. I used to find that this problem would be less noticeable temporarily after surfing. The sun exposure that you get from surfing is very different because the sun reflects up off the water at you.
The condition is called MELASMA.  I had a bad sunburn on my face and have had the same pale areas around my eyes ever since.  Google Kaitlin Menza, or go here: http://www.marieclaire.com/beauty/a15304/it-only-took-one-sunburn-melasma/

I suffer from the same thing but mine comes and goes and there seems to be no logic but I get so fatigue when it happens to me that I can barely function. anyone else?
I have this also and it's driving me nuts. I've just come back from holiday and it looks like I fell asleep with my sunglasses on :( i am currently using a night cream and serum for pigmentation on the rest of my face to see if it even outs my skin. To cover up the whiteness and I apply a little facial fake tan to the white area, this seems to look far more natural than using concealer etc.

Laura
This could be Melasma!!!
I’m no doctor so the following isn’t from a medical specialist but just what I’ve experienced.
I noticed white circles around my eyes a few years ago but it wasn’t too obvious so I thought nothing of it but about 3-4 months ago it became very blatant and made me look sick and somewhat silly so I read up on it. It turns out I have Melasma which is a pigment deficiency with hyperpigmentation and it’s not actually the area around my eyes being white but my upper cheeks, nose and forehead being overly tanned. I went to see a dermatologist who advised me the following: -
1. Stay out of direct sunlight/daylight (and even indoor light can affect it)
2. Use a skin evening/lightening cream on the affected darker areas to lighten the skin
3. Use minimum factor 30spf (better factor 50) UVA & UVB protection on the darker areas affected
4. I also use a tinted moisturiser to mask the white areas around my eyes and blend them in to the darker areas which helps
Good luck everybody