White Circles Under Eye

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

White Circles Under Eye

I am a 25-year old, white female.  My skin is very fair and prone to freckling and burns.  I have had white (much lighter than the rest of the skin on my face) circles under my eyes for the past 6-9 months.  I can cover them with makeup to help them blend with the rest of my skin, but I would like to fix the problem.  Please let me know what this is and if there is a solution.  Thank you for your time.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

These white circles under the eyes may be postinflammatory hypopigmentation secondary to some creams or lotions you have applied on the area. Also, it may require that you have yourself assessed for anemia and other nutritional deficiencies which may suggest pallor. However, you have mentioned that you have always been pale. Apply sun bock evenly over the face. I wouldn’t suggest that you expose yourself to tanning beds to spend hours under the sun, but try to spend some time outdoors to give some color and to balance the tone of your skin. Sunscreen over the face will provide protection from UV. Have your complete blood count assessed. This will help determine the presence of anemic states.

Are there other associated signs and symptoms?
Around age 30, people started asking me if I had been sunbathing with sunglasses on, because the skin under my eyes had turned snow white. I have olive skin, so the pale circles are really noticeable and ugly. All the beauty magazines tell you how to cover dark circles, but I'd never heard of anyone else with the opposite problem (until i did this search online). I asked a dermatologist about it, but he had no answers. I've had blood work done and am not anemic.

I too am desperate to correct the underlying problem, but have lost hope finding out what it is. I just glop makeup under my eyes, which at my age is beginning to settle into the little lines there and look almost as bad as the circles themselves. I even tried to stain the circles with tea bags with no success. Still, in a way it was comforting to find out I was not the only one with this problem after all.
Hi Tracy my name is james and im 33. My white circles just started this year and i think i know what it is. Do you by any chance drink much alcohol? Because i do in the evenings most days. Even if you don't drink at all, you might suffer from a vitamin deficiency. I eat really healthy and drink lots of water and i take vitamin b12- b-6 plus a multi. But i still have these white circles under my eyes. I do know when i cut back on the drinking beer in the evening mine clears up over a couple of days. I bet your not getting enough zink in your diet and you might not eat healthy enough.
hmm..do yall notice that doctors dont answer in the free forum i mean a lil humanity wont hurt come on here today gone tomorroow up today down tomorrow and even those doctors will need someone sooner or later weather they like it or not.... GOD BLESS all the people who answer in these free forum that try to comfort and ease others minds i'll say a pray for each and ever one of u and one also that the doctors will learn humanity and even answer one question
Ive been researching all resources available and the only conclusion i have is Vitamin Deficiency. What you have understand is that for your body to be able to absorb Vitamins and minerals the body must store them. Because when we drink diuretics, such as tea, alcohol anything with caffine. Your body flushes out all the Vitamins and Minerals from your body before absorbing. Now how it causes these white circles under our eyes i can't answer that. But you see a lot of people out there that suffer from the same condition. People i know that don't eat right and drink to many diuretics. So there for i think im on to something. I would like everyone on here to try something for one to two weeks. Lay off tea, caffine,coffee, cokes. All of it. Make an effort to eat more vegetables and take a good multi in the morning. Try drinking plenty of water during the day. Give this a shot and see what happens. I think this will work and prove to us all that this is the answer... PLease leave a comment for this and lets see if it works!
i too also have the pale circles under my eyes iv had it 3 years now im 30 years old and im desparate to find the cure iv tried healthy food vitamins. i find drinking lots of water everyday really helps but not cure. i hope we can all work this problem out together and find the answer. iv been to the doctors last year and to be honest he did not really care or know why it happens .waste of time. im sure we can figure this out it must be some sort of deficincy . good luck everyone and drink plenty of water
and just to add to this i find my under eyes are more pale in the morning they are bright white. and more extremely visible if i have sun burn or tan it looks like iv been sunbathing with goggles on and people do say to me that they can see where i have been wearing sunglasses even though i hadnt worn any.   really need to find out how to fix this soon its getting so annoying
Im a 17 year old male and I've had white circles around my eyes for as long as I can remember, I eat healthily and excerise a lot so I cant say these are down to vitamin deficiancy. I guess it may be more of a problem for women to have such a visual difference on the face but they don't bother me too much. It's supposed to be a sign of empathy and femininity to have lighter skin tone around the eye - like hairs on your arms is supposed to be a sign of strength.. I myself think it's simply a genetic thing :)
Hi all, I'm relieved that someone else has a similar problem. I am beginning to worry that in a couple years, my under eyes will be completely white! I'm a healthy 24 y/o female with olive skin, never smoked, rarely drink alcohol. Like the original poster, I am very prone to freckles. I eat very healthy (fish 2x a week, no soda, no coffee, no chocolate, milk 3x a day). I drink 2 liters of water a day. I show symptoms of being anemic (brittle hair, dry cuticles and nails). 5 months ago I found a white "blotch" in the corner of my eye. I covered it with concealer, but it was still noticeable. Luckily I have long hair so it covered it. Unfortunately, in the past couple weeks whiteness appeared under my other eye! I have never taken a multi-vitamin, nor do I exercise, so I am hoping when I made those two changes, the whiteness might disappear.
I have white circles around my eyes.  They started appearing about 6 years ago.  I also have Vitiligo, which causes my skin on random locations to lose its pigment and turn white.  But the circles around my eyes are in the exact shape as my eyeglasses.  So I wonder, if the UV Protection on my glasses is causing that area to Not tan equally with the rest of my face?  I work in front of a CRT Monitor 8 hours a day and have for the past 12 years.  Plus I moved into an office about that time that had some type of "new" fluorescent lighting...  I am wondering if that has anything to do with it.  No where on my body where I have lost pigmentation due to vitiligo is there a perfect shape...  Is it just a coincidence that the circles around my eyes are ovals in the almost exact size and shape of my eye glasses?
I have the same white circles under my eyes.  How many of you wear contact lenses?  If so, do you use a solution or re-wetting drops?

Maybe staring at a computer screen for long periods has something to do with it?  

Thank you,
Is anyone sleep deprived?

I have the same white circles under my eyes.  I'm a teacher and a student asked why I look like a raccoon with white around my eyes instead of black.  It is sooooo embarrasing.  I am trying the zinc and lots of water as James suggested here.  I know that I am anemic and, now that I think of it, have been since before these white eye circles showed up.  Any other suggestions?  I am sooo glad that someone else has this problem - sorry  - I don't wish it on you but I was feeling like the only one in the world.  No one else I know seems to have them.  
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1187180/Using-sunbed-left-permanent-panda-eyes.html
I had the white area under my eyes a couple of years ago.  I called it the "racoon" look. I would get comments when I took my glasses off.  I changed my eye cream and it seemed to get better.  What I use now is an Avon product & there is a yellowish color....a trade off I guess.

I also have had dark circles around my eyes since child hood that show up more off & on, and that I believe is from allergies but it would be nice to get feedback from others who deal with both.  I use a decongestant (claritin) 24 hr. daily, although lately I have been trying to skip a day now & then.  I hate being dependant on drugs to be the miracle cure or maintainer.  I would like to learn more about wholistic methods of dealing with these kinds of things.

I was anemic a couple of years ago that led the doctor to put me on iron pills for awhile.  That was during the time I had a blood clot after a car accident at the end of August 2007.  I never made any connection about the white under my eyes with that, so it is good to know if it happens again.  

:-)
I'm 30 and have had white circles under my eyes for at least a few years.  I'm very fair skinned with pinkish tones, so the white circles really make me look like I got a sunburn while wearing sunglasses....which I haven't.  I stay hydrated, rarely drink alcohol, so my best guess would be some sort of vitamin or mineral deficiency, or that it's simply a part of some skin disorder.  There are worse things to deal with than this, but it's still kind of a strange nuisance...and I'm tired of applying blush to my undereyes.  Glad to know others are out there.
HEY, the problem is the lack of hydratation around you eyes. Often you will have more significant red nose with red cheeks when you come out of the shower..or when you go outside during winter

it's cause by the canal under your skin who hydrate all these area is like blocked and give all to your nose and cheeks area..so around the eyes you suffer lack of hydratation..even you eyes will be sometimes dry.
So its one of these reasons, me and all of you have raccoon white style!

* Ask your optometrist

drink water, apply hydratate cream and sleep well will help ..but you will have to live with. anyway no big deal when you're healthy, just put some god damn make up if you have bad self confidence.
hey, ive the same problem, i think it is because of a vit b12 defiency. check out this link; http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/v/vitamin_b12_deficiency/symptoms.htm
This won't be the same for everyone, but I finally found what is causing the white circles or loss of pigment under my eyes. In my case it's Vitiligo caused by Hashimoto's Disease. If any of you have had thyroid issues, you might check this out.
I'm a 22 year old male who has had this for as long as I remember.  My best friend used to call me raccoon eyes (haha) after a night of drinking because as my cheeks and nose got red (from the alcohol), the white circles under my eyes would be more visible.  

I've had it as long as I remember.  It also happens if I'm out in the cold.  I agree with Rocktonze's opinion on this condition.  Sounds about right to me?  

I have also broken my nose a couple times over the years, maybe contributing to this?
Also forgot to mention.  I work out 3-5 times a week, drink a good amount of fluids, eat pretty health, and take a multi vitamin/fish oil combination...  I do drink alcohol at least 1-3 times a week.
OK right, I was also worried to be the only stuck with these white circles. Now I see I am not the only one, and aso 2 conclusions have come to mind: It is a skin degeneration problem whch will evolve over time and it cannot be cured.

2/ it can be stress-induced. I read about Hashimoto's Disease which could cause this, and I truly believ this because I also suffer cold sweat while sleeping which is due to stress too!
3/ Tyroid issues. One comment above mention this as a potential reason. Never thought of it but it is true that all my family (female side) have had tyroid issues at some point....

Why can't there be a cure!? Surgeaons are able to transplant a whole face but cannot cure 2 small patches on one's face!?

Good luck everyone...
I am 29 yrs . I have had this prob over a year now . I eat well, take a whole food vitamen ,I v never been a big water drinker but i drink more now than i used to. I  was misdiagnosed with hypothyroid 5 yrs ago while i was pregnant I was at that time extremly hyperthyroid which is common post pregnancy . I can tell you i have had it checked many times and have no thyroid problems now. I have also delt with fibromyalgia symptoms for a few yrs now which after doing my own research found it to be metal toxitity. so i have changed my  diet a few times now eating only organic grass fed meats and wide variety of fruits and veggies . I try to eat glutin free as much as possible also . I do not drink alcohol or sodas . I am a stay at home mom so try to keep us as healthy as i can . I make my own cleaners no chemicles i use soap nuts for our laundry . I did have a chemicle sensitivety before this all started but now i use dr bonners baby soap  ,fragrance and alcohol free witch hazel once in the mornings , organic argan oil at night,if i wear make up it is  organic raw rms beauty makeup it has helped my skin to heal alot but no change with the circles . I know when this started i had made abig move from arkansas to north caralina, stress has been off and on but i have been easily stressed throughout my life, We had florecent liights thoughout the house but are rid of them now as they create bad electricity, i used to never use a computer now use regularly .If i can think of anything else i will update .
I have genetic dark circles and have tried everything to mask them. My dermatologist recommended the Made from Earth "Vitamin Enhanced Face Firming Serum" for under the eyes, and the Olive Night Creme for all over the face at night.

It feels good going on - I use it twice a day. I didn't realize what an impact it made until I ran out of it and noticed considerable puffiness around my eyes and darker circles after only a week of not having it. It has definitely made a difference for me.
it can be cured...mine is going slowly and 1 of my uncle's his is already gone.....it is something to do with weak liver...u have to stop eating non-vegetarian food (all chicken, fish, beef, pork, etc) especially sea-food n also stop drinking alcohol and smoking.... it will go eventually not to worry and do take a lot of vitamins and the fastest way to cure this is take a copper vessel fill it with water at night and keep it outside in the lawn area and in the morning drink 2 glasses of water from it everyday.....

thanks
I am 24 years old, and have had these white blotches under my eyes for 3 or 4 years now. I ALSO have freckles & am prone to sunburns (I believe this is a pattern I'm seeing). I drink a lot of caffeine most days but eat very healthy (always have) and take a vitamin every morning. I have taken weeks off of caffeine however, & never noticed a difference in shade. It is the weirdest thing. One of my blotches is a little smaller and more towards the corner of my eye. I just wish I knew what this was all about. Sometimes I think it may be skin cancer or something! I did tan a lot when I was a teenager.
I've had white circles under my eyes for a few years now and they have gotten worse during that time. At least that's what I originally thought! I went to my doctors and I've actually been diagnosed with a mild form of Rosacea, which is like an acne. It effects most of the face, but can leave panda-like shapes under the eyes (this area is often not effected by the acne). So, in essence, my white circles were the normal pigment and the slight redness of my face, which happened slowly so I didn't really notice the change, is the issue. It occurs mostly in people with fair skin and unlike other types of acne, it doesn't always have large spots, so it can, like mine be a slightly flushed look, which is the inflamation (inflammation) of the skin.

To all who read this, it's worth checking it out, because if left untreated it can cause unsightly skin damage. There is no apparent cure, but there is treatment to keep it at bay.
My 5 year old son has the same problem...I saw your post and found this site afterwards so I came back to send it to you.  It is a likely cause for my sons eye circles, but I will have to try and reduce his sugars to know for certain...thought you might want to read it:

http://thewitchykitchen.blogspot.com/2010/01/aestheticians-and-beauty-workers-have.html

Take Care and Good Luck!
Hey I have the same problem, worse underneath my left eye than the right. Has anyone found a cure or concrete cause? One that doesn't involve removing meat from ones diet (no offence:) ) My derm could only recommend me to maybe wear my sunnies less and let some sun get to the area. Tried this last summer to no avail, actually I think the rest of my face tanned up even more, making the white circles more noticeable. Btw the most notable white area is where I have little millia bumps under my eyes....
I too have got the white circles under eyes and a couple of people have commented. My cousin suffers the same problem but much worse so I'm wondering if it heredity. Or hormones as I'm pregnant. I recently stopped drinking tea as much and cut down on chocolate and since then I have noticed a massive reduction in the whiteness in the circles :-) hope they clear up!  
I am 15 yrs. old, female, and I have had white circles under my eyes for awhile...My mom has them to, so maybe its a genetic thing?... Anyways, I have fair, naturally pink skin and I just don't know what to do about the white circles, except for makeup, but I know that can't solve the problem forever
I'm happy to hear that others have had this too. I've noticed that the skin around and especially below my eyes has no color anymore, it's quite pale. I asked a co worker who said it's Vitiligo and it will cost thousands to fix. A friend of mine said it must be from wearing sunglasses....but I rarely ever wear them. I'm a 30 year old male who's also involved in a Kidney study requiring me to take a diuretic that makes me drink close to 5 liters of water a day. I also have used Tretinoin skin cream around my acne scars and up near my eyes sometimes. I just wanted to share this for others who are wondering about it. Justin in MN
I've had this problem for a few years now too. I think mine is due to not getting enough proper vitamins in my diet. I think I need more iron and less junkfood and soda. I'm probably doing this to myself with bad habits.  
I had PRK (more invasive surgery than Lasik) done recently and at my 4 week follow-up the surgeon said the white under my eyes are due to a lack of oil produced in the glands around my eyes and eyelids. I told him it has been this way for years (I'm 37) and he said he understood (nodded his head like, yep...see it all the time). I always thought it was from when I was a young teen and went to the tanning booth that they permanently stayed white...turns out that's not the case. Anyway, he said at night when I wipe off my eye makeup I'm to place a warm wash cloth over my eyes and place a little (not much) pressure to the lower eye area. After doing this for a few weeks the oil glands will start producing more oils to the eyes and while he didn't say it would cure it (I forgot to ask), you could all always try it. I just started doing it last evening.
Hi Moonwolf

Did this work for you??.

I have dark natural skin but also used tan beds avg maybe 3-4 times a month as my skin goes so golden and nice. so when i had my pale skin under my eye lids just assumed i did perminant damage from tanning bed. (which i always thought was odd as used for short time and never ever got burnt Or close too).

i am male and now have to carry eye shadow powder around with me as it blends with my skin perfect, (apply twice daily) Not nice believe me at 28yrs old and Male!.

Despirate for cure as off to marry my fiance soon and we will be on beach etc. My face will be tanned more and more and my lids will remain pale as a ghost as they wont tan!.

Hope someone has a cure for this would love to give it a try
hey jay2011786 and everyone, thought I would "resurrect" this discussion, it has been an ongoing problem for me, for quite a few months now (about 7 in total)....started out as a minor discoloration around and near my left eye, but was so not real apparent back then (end of last summer) I could use just a powder compact makeup and make it look more even.  Now it is on the right side as well, and I look HORRIBLE in the mornings, between the BRIGHT WHITENESS combined with bags/swelling....ugh!  I talked to a plastic surgeon who suggested always sleeping with your head upright which I have been doing almost nightly now and it DOES make a big difference since there is hardly any puffiness.  BUT the white is always there and getting more noticable.

Any type of sun exposure makes it MUCH more noticable, as the areas under and near my eyes will NOT tan, they just look whiter since the rest of my face gets color and these areas don't.  

In an effort to "fix" this problem and other things ( have severe HYPERpigmentation on my forehead, that incented me to get bangs again, since this problem seemed to begin with a white spot middle of my forehead that got MUCH worse then subsided somewhat, still there but not nearly as noticable as it was.  I have had a microdermabrasion to try to even out the skin tone overall, and in general it def. helped the other parts of my skin look better and the texture looks pretty good.  HOWEVER, under my eyes is STILL very white/light and the rest of my face is darker, not a lot as I am pale in general but the difference is noticable, even WITH makeup now.  I have been to a dermatologist who reassured me this is NOT vitiligo which was my first thought, and have been back twice to see her since since it keeps getting worse (or has over these past months).  She told me it's sun damage and the color MAY or may NOT repigment on its own but impossible to tell if that will happen or now.  I avoid the sun directly like the plague now as it makes it much worse, and ALWAYS wear an spf of at least 30, sometimes spf45 underneath the makeup which I find I have to wear constantly and even then it is still noticable (I either look like a pumpkin if too dark/orangey, or it makes them stand out MORE if the coverup/foundation is too light, on those areas.  

I have begun to start taking straight iron supplements, have sworn off any and all "white sugars" including any type of white bread, rice, etc. and am trying to eat much more greens (dark type) along with a ton of veggies, and intake more water.  No more of my beloved toasted onion bagels with cream cheese from Dunkin Donuts, lol!)....I drink in moderation and also smoke daily, but have never experienced an issue quite like this one ever before.  It's very disheartening, some days it's VERY hard to be at work under the VERY bright florescent lighting there, which makes it look much worse even with good makeup.....very self-conscious even to the point where I will only go to a certain grocery store (more expensive too) since the lighting is softer and always "hide" under a ballcap and use my hair to try to hide the edges especially on my left side.  It's bad!

I find I hang my head a LOT as I am always self-conscious and worse as I am in my 40's the cover up just settles into the undereye/side of the eye wrinkles and makes it look just as bad as the bright white sometimes!  I avoid going out in public much of the time and am terrified of direct sunny days...it ALWAYS makes it look so much worse even WITH sunblock and the fact I always wear my sunglasses (even on overcast days, there are still rays coming through that you don't think about but the sun is still there, jsut hidden behind the clouds)..

Just wanted to pass along you are not alone in this...but it IS very disheartening and depressing....I feel at this point I will eventually be a prisoner in my own house aside from working (also seeking full time work, which is a real challenge in this horrible economy, always stressed have night sweats and don't sleep deeply or well, as I am always unable to totally relax enough for that to happen)....I did have an iron deficiency years ago in high school that required iron pills for a while to make it go away (it used to make me pass out until I took the iron supplements) and my mom had anemia years ago, as well as my daughter was born with an iron deficiency she is 12 now).....am hoping I have found the connection, low iron/potential or existing anemia.  I hope this helps in some way, this is beyond annoying, it's restricted my life in many many ways.....I hate being out in public, feel like everyone's staring and wondering why I look sort of "strange."
wanted to add, I plan to take regular vitamins along with the iron stuff, every single day going forward, this includes:  Ginko Baloba (120 mg. one a day), B-1 (100 mg. one a day), a multi that includes iron also for women, B-12, 2500 mg. a day), and Folic Acid, 800 mg. a day....hoping that THIS along with increased water intake, a much better and healthier diet (no white sugars, citrus type of foods, no Vitamin C have read this can make already light skin lighter so I don't take it), and increased sleep and methods to try hard to reduce excess stress...Noticed the severe stress I am under has made it much worse....so need to find ways to handle that better.  Naturally plan to keep avoiding direct sun as much possible and will continue to ALWAYS wear a sunblock of at least spf30 daily...a hat when possible, and always sunglasses, they rarely leave my face during the day!!  While outside I mean...
i am living in germany and i was diagnosed - unfortunately, i don't speak the language so i can't tell you what the doc said - but she noticed my white circles around the eyes and wrote down for me two things to buy - it has helped more than anything else - 1. potassium chloride 2. magnesium phosphoricum.  i have had this problem for many years, and i definitely believe it to be a nutritional deficiency.
thank you for passing that on!!  i am desperate to try ANYTHING at this point to help with this, seven months now and it doesn't seem to be getting any better.  I am DREADING summer this year....:(
meant to ask, what dosages do you take of each, and how many times per day?  Have your white circles gotten better since doing this and how long did it take?  Thanks!
I too have white circles under my eyes. Unfortunetly, I also have redness on my cheeks and nose so it always stands out. Total raccoon eyes! I'm a 47 year old male and the white circles have been there for years. I too thought it was from sunglasses, which I no longer wear.

I've not talked to a doc about this yet. I eat a strict paleo diet and have been for six months. No grains, no sugar. No omega 6 oils. Everything we eat is made from scratch. It has not helped. I can tell you that most of my hormones are tanked so those of you that have not have your hormones tested might want too.

I'm not that concerned with how I look, so it's not that big a deal to me other than I think it indicates a health problem which I'd like to get diagnosed and fixed.
Hi, I am a 43 year old female, I also have white circles under my eyes with red nose and cheeks have had it for aleast 7 years would love to find a cure as it seems to be getting worse, can somebody help me
Waderir and ambgem, I have considered so many different causes of this, it is bordering on ridiculous BUT that being said, I also have general redness of the nose and cheeks too, which makes this 'white" soooooo white if that makes any sense!!!  I also tend to tan/get color easily and that contrast always makes the white areas much much more obvious but it's impossible to completely avoid the sunlight, know what i mean?  Have you considered this could be rosacea?  It doesn't always mean severe blushing, etc. like you hear about.  It can appear as general redness across the nose and cheeks, which makes the much lighter areas stand out like a sore thumb.  I am totally at a loss.  I have seen a medical doctor (at a walk in clinic) who diagnosed it as tinea versicolor, which is basically a fungal infection of the skin that causes temporary loss of pigment, I have been to a dermatologist three different times, she told me it's from sun damage, and prescribed Retin A  to help even my skintone but since it made the white patches look even whiter, I got scared and stopped using it hte second day, and I have seen an esthetician, who told me it's likely my "normal" pigment and that the surrounding skin is darker or hyperpigented, which is making this area look so white.  Sigh, this is frustrating and disheartening to find out how to fix this!  However, I digress, with that being said, I think sometimes it could possibly be rosacea.  I already considered tinea (the lotion I was prescribed was much too harsh for my face, especially tops of cheekbones, where the whiteness is near my eyes, that's how big these circles are!), excema, psoriasis, etc. (but the latter two involve itching, intense itching and this does not, it doesn't itch abnormally anymore than any other normal "itch" I feel from time to time anywhere on my body).  Have considered pityrasis alba (but htat's mainly a childhood disease), and everything else you can think of.  I am at a total loss but I think considering rosacea is worth a shot at consideration, seeing we all have the red nose and cheeks!  Is your redness (on cheeks) mainly on the upper/cheekbone part?  Mine def. is and it seems more prominent in the mornings (as do the white circles).  I've also considered a possible sinus infection (but I don't have excessive sneezing, runny nose, etc.), allergies, name it....I am just do depressed about this whole mess..
i too have white very pale circles under my eyes wich make me look almost sickly. They showed up what seemed overnight when i was on a cleanse diet trying to clear up my acne. I had also done a few laser treatments for my acne a few months prior. I do not know wich or if either of these is the cause of this but the white cirlces are a million times worse than any acne  i have had and i am so upset at myself for trying these things to get rid of the acne. when i get out of the shower is when it looks the worst, the rest of my face is a healthy glowing pink and under eyes looks pale and translucent, almost like i am very sick. I have had my hormones and blood tested for deficiency but everything was within a normal range except a was just under the normal range with iron. I have taken a multi and tried to eat healthy for the past year but it still looks bad. i hide from most friends who i haven't seen since before this started. it is not easy. please know that you are not alone!
thanks so much for your reply!  Yes, mine is the worst after stepping out of the shower, too!  It almost looks like they "glow" they are so white in contrast to the rest of my face, which although not perfectly pigmented, is at least "normally" pigmented in contrast.  Can I just vent for a moment?  I get SOOOO sick of typing in search terms on the net and getting results for "dark circles under the eyes", damn I would take THOSE any old day over THIS!  I thought since I was so white and fair complected anyhow, they would not be so noticable, but they have gotten progressively worse over the past three or four months, and in the mornings they look horrible.  The worst side is on my left side, right on my cheekbone, it looks like a scar almost, but I dont' think it is, plus directly under both eyes, it's like the color just disappeared or something, very bizarre and disheartening isn't it?  I also rarely leave the house unless I have to work and even then it's under ten pounds of makeup!  And I pull strands of my hair over the left side often, becuase it makes me so insecure about myself.  I am so embarrassed by how I look I won't even go get my hair cut or styled!  Hugs, this is a tough thing to deal with.
Yeah, mine are MUCH worse just after showering too. It makes me not want to shower actually. This thing is VERY annoying and embarrassing that I dont like going out anymore.
For some reason, my face looks kinda red too. Ive never noticed this before the white circles appeared. Ive had them for almost a year now I think.
I dont drink, dont smoke...although I dont exercise or eat particularly healthy either...but have they only shown up now?
Im a 29 yr old male so unfortunately I cant hide them with makeup lol
Also glad Im not alone with this and would take dark circles over illuminous white ones anyday. :(
hi

had this for years - defo worse when tired. considering micro-pigmentation treatment as a semi permanent solution. used to use false tan to cover it but can't be bothered with all that. going to try ginger root first though. people are using it to treat other types of hypo-pigmentation. anyone else tried it yet?
I have this problem to and it seems to get worse,. Really shows when you start to get a tanned face and then shiny white on the eye lids and surrounding area. A guy posted this earlier http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1187180/Using-sunbed-left-permanent-panda-eyes.html

and I think this best sums up the problem

'The disorder, which occurs when cells responsible for skin pigmentation die or stop working, usually appears spontaneously but is made more likely by damage to the skin, including burning from sunbeds'

Therefore I do not think in most cases it is anything that can be improved with nutrition/supplements. Although good nutrition will make the rest of the skin look clearer and maybe less red cutting down the contrast with the pale skin around the eyes.

I have been on this site before looking for answers to my white circles, but now I have an answer/expaination I thought i'd share incase it may help someone else on here.
I have had the problem with my eyes for some years, but have recently been diagnosed with Rosacea Acne. In my case I think it is the contrast between the affected red areas on my cheeks, that makes my under eyes seem glaringly white. I take antibiotics to calm the redness, which makes things better, but I still cover up with make up, but need to wear glasses most of the time anyway.
All, I noticed the same white circles under my eyes about 6 years ago.  I am 31 now.  My dermatologist said it was pityrasis alba, but it didn't make sense.  He suggested applying Cortisone 10 (or similar steroidal anti-inflammatory lotion) to reduce the redness.  This didn't work, to no surprise.  I think we all should form some kind of formal community or group for this.  Maybe to help find others with the condition.  Maybe even find out what the condition really is...
I too have white circles around my eyes. I'm a fair skinned 17 year old female and have had it for a few years now (or longer). My mum gets it too so it must be a hereditary thing. I usually get it if I'm hot or have been exercising. People always ask me if I'm sunburnt or went skiing, and it's embarrassing to have to tell them "no, it's just the way I am".

I would love a solution as my skin has never been perfect. I just got off roaccutane for my pimples which I thought would also cure this 'white raccoon eye' but I guess not. Everyone else has lovely even toned skin but me.
Hi, Im a 27 year old male. Ive had this problem now for around 2 years. I suffer from ulcerative colitis( an illness of the colon), as well as anxiety. I dont know if this is caused by medication I am taking, or perhaps adrenal depletion from stress.The past 2 years Ive also drank maybe 3 or 4 time a week, so alcohol could also be a contributer!
Or pehaps by diet. I do have a sweet tooth. This site says its caused by refined sugar http://thewitchykitchen.blogspot.com/2010/01/aestheticians-and-beauty-workers-have.html
Maybe its from a food allergy. Ive read this can be a symptom of omega 3 deficiency. Which can also cause dry skin, and my eye area is very dry.
I also dont sleep well, so this must add to the problem.
Has anyone else the same bad habits as me?
Sugar could be the problem, as well as vitamin deficiency, also Ive read wheat/gluten could be a problem. Ill cut down on sugar to maybe one ice cream/chocolate bar every 3 days. Ive stopped drinking. Ill take a vitamin and omega 3. And I will cut down on grains(wheat/gluten) to just one or two meals a week. I will keep you guys posted with my results!
Hey,
Ive been doing some research and I think I may suffer from a leaky gut. Leaky gut can be the cause of many food allergies, as many different types of food can leak from your gut into your blood stream where the immune system then attacks it. Also nutrients don´t get efficiently absorbed, making people prone to deficiencies.
Do any of you guys sleep on your stomachs? I do! And I´ve read that sleeping on your stomach is very bad for your skin. Particularly the skin around your eyes, as your cheeks push and stretch the skin around the eye area, which is already thin and delicate. It causes the breakdown of collagen production and inhibits circulation to the eyes as your face is pushed against the pillow!
I have only just changed to sleeping on my back last night. It is early days for me to be testng this out. I´ll keep you guys updated!
jongal and all, I think there might be something to this theory as I consulted a plstic surgeon back in January who told me that my very puffy white undereye circles were def. or possibly being caused by sleeping in my usual fetal position on my left side (causing any fluids while sleeping to distribute under my eyes/on cheekbones and my whiteness is DEFINTELY worse on my left side, a lot more than the right)....he advised me to start sleeping on my back with head slightly elevated (an extra pillow or two helps with this) and he was right about the swelling issue.  No more undereye bags in the mornings.  However that being said I still have this whiter pigment thing going on now in May/nearly June....and it is still not going away.  I swear that lately I can see some faint, very faint, but THERE pigment coming back from the center of the worst spot on my left cheekbone it's almost like a faint freckle of some kind.  But I cannot deny that it is there and was not before.  Naturally i avoid direct sun at any and all cost and always wear sunglasses with UV block along with a good sunblock every single day I am out anywhere.  I wear it under my makeup (makeup has been a must in dealing with this, and every day I am out anywhere in public)...the makeup itself also contains sunscreen so that is a bonus I guess....anyhow, I digress....I do think there is something to the distribution of the fluids in your body while you sleep and the part it possibly plays in pigment changes such as this....however I am certainly no expert and cannot say what will make this improve or go away...I wish I could for all of our sakes....it is becoming a pain the you know what to deal with it constantly...and I don't believe diet plays a huge part in it either if I am honest.  I think you should eat healthy food overall but allow yourself to indulge too, if your body is craving something specifically (for me lately it has been a ton of sweet/sugary foods, and I have given in by indulging in ice cream, soft serve cones dipped in cherry flavoring, etc.) and no I don't feel guilty for doing so either!  And I have never really had a sweet tooth per se, but my body has been "craving" sugar and sweet stuff the past few weeks.  Weird...

sorry forgot to add that the plastic surgeon while not touting any specific 'diet" instructions etc. did say to cut down on SALTY foods which by nature retain water in the skin and body and make things like eye bags and swelling WORSE....
hi i am Abrar 25 male i alsohave these so called white circles under eyes.i never drunk alcohal (alcohol).but i think it is from the side effect of those creams and lotions that i had applied on my skin.because other than that i am not finding any reasson.
hey wonderng 360.
ya i think that sleeping positions do have an effect. If we sleep on our faces pushing our cheeks against the eye area it must have an effect. Especially as we do it for up to 8 hours day after day year after year. It probably breaks down the collagen in the eye area. Also lack of sleep does of course play a role. And Ive never been a great sleeper, even in my younger years!
Ive noticed that the skin is very thin where its white. Also when I squint my eyes the wrinkles I have extend to the whole area where the lines are. So I think the problem may be due to a lack of collagen in the area.
Ive never been a good sleeper especially when ive had work in the morning so Ive had baggy eyes for many years. Also even when Ive had time off from work Ive usually spent it drinking thus exacerbating the problem as Ive made myself dehydrated.
My point being that baggy eyes extends the eye area thus making the skin thinner over time. So the only conclusion I can come to is to sleep well and eat well and not sleep on your face (youve said you dont do this but I do!) And then hopefully the skin will restore itself. Just like somedays if you dont sleep much you have baggy eyes but when you sleep better the next night it improves!
Just my two cents!
Hi jongal, yes I think you have pinpointed it quite correctly, sleeping and the specific way our body retains fluids especially under the thin under eye area, has a lot to do with this, I suspect..

Although there are some days I am thinking it looks better than others those are usually teh days that I have gotten a quality of long term sleep!  But there is no denying that the constant swelling/receding of the cheek area especially has thinned out the skin there, and yes, def. a lack of collagen, I can see that the cheek area on my face overall is not as "plump" looking as it was, not at all.....several months ago, I described this look as "mannequin" face as it seemed to take away some of the "animation" in my face and expression along with these pigment changes so most days I think if I had some more volume to my cheekbones like I did have before, it wouldn't be as noticable/unsightly like it seems to be now...if that makes any sense.
also meant to mention that this came on (the loss of pigment/whiteness) quite suddenly and I have been told over and over by my derm and esthetician it is NOT vitiligo thank the Lord but there IS a lack of pigment under my eyes and on cheekbones....and a lack of volume too...it is flatter and not as defined as it was, but the suddeness of this is what concerned me the most...I only discovered a minor sun related discoloration on my forehead late last summer, then this slowly but surely progressed to my eye area/cheekbone area, just when the forehead thing started to look a lot better....that being said I DEF notice a change for the worse with ANY extended period of sun exposure, even with sunblock...as the areas around it tan and these areas do not and look stark white in contrast...for anyone experiencing sleeping issues, I would strongly suggest not drinking any water at least two hours before bedtime (as you will retain this as you sleep), adding melatonin to your sleep habits (this is a non narcotic sleep aid that really makes a difference in the quality of your sleep but will not make you groggy or dizzy the next day, no fogged head at all), and trying to make your bed as comfortable as possible along with the surrounding area (e.g. I have resorted to putting up black curtains which totally block the morning bright light/sun shining in and allow me to sleep for longer with less interruption since I have no light coming in my windows at all, especially that bright annoying morning light...sleeping with your head propped up helps a lot, if you want to avoid puffiness and bags...plus trying to just go with the flow and not stress all the time helps too....it makes this less noticable when you are not constantly worrying/stressing about it or how it looks..don't sleep with a radio or tv on it's too distracting and can interrupt deep, quality sleep...and make sure your comforter and sheets are of a quality that is most comfortable...running a fan helps too, to provide soothing white noise and keep the room cool...
Hi Everyone,
I think a cure MAY have been found!! Id like to take the credit but it was andy3030 (see above) who has suggested it to me. I sent him a private message a few weeks ago as I did to a few people who previously posted on this thread to see if theyd found cure. Andy has told me that he has recently been using a sinuses nasal spray and that it has gotten rid of the white circles.
I never realised it until he said so but I have been sufferring from sinuses for years. I have always had blocked airways specifically behind the cheeks on the sides of the nose. If you look at sinuses charts the nasal passage is on either side of the nose. If it has been blocked it may have been preventing blood flow into the under eye area hence causing paleness. Ive started using a nasal spray to unblock the area and colour seems to be returning to the area. It is still early days as I just started doing this a day ago but I think it is working. Also for once my airways are unblocked so I can breath through my nose lol! And I never even realised that it was blocked!!
Could blocked sinuses be the cause??
to everyone on here i have finally found the cure, it is sinus related and just by taking something as simple as sudafed tablets clears the racoon eyes,
its tried and tested by me and another member (jongal)  on this site, and i can confirm its related to sinus problems , hope this helps everyone,
its only took me 6 years to find the cure , haha , never mind got there in the end
OMG I'm so happy that there may be a little light at the end of the tunnel.  I actually just woke up today and bam white circles around my eyes.  I can not believe this is happening.  It would make scense for it to be sinus related.  I have noticed that in the morning when I wake up my nose is clogged and cant breath though it until I've been awake and upright for 30 minutes.  Going to try the nasal spray....thank you and will let you know if it also works for me....
hi, i definitely have blocked sinuses. i live in china and cant seem to get good meds to cure it. i try usig a netti the odd time and it clear the sinuses a bit. but the paleness around the eyes persists. could this be rosacea, where the bllod vessels in the cheeks expand cauing the face or cheeks area to become red? id like to know how you got on with the spray tashaisbusy, does it appear to be working?
i think i could be onto something. i have noticed that i am very tense in the face. i have done some research and it appears that facial tension restricts bllod flow causing wrinkles and discoloration. my face actually feels kinds sore from the tensing that i do. heres a link which gives more info:

http://www.prlog.org/11846004-bio-inc-introduces-first-ever-age-defying-stress-muscle-tension-relaxing-beauty-elixir.html

Thanks for all the advice, I have the same problem and will tryuggestions here. I'll keep ya all posted if I make any progress. :)
could it be iron deficiency?
wow!  Never did i think so many people had the same problem as me.  I have suffered from white under eye circles for many years.  I dont drink any alcohol or caffeine I dont smoke I eat healthy.  I have never noticed anyone else with this issue so hopefully that means youve been out there but it isnt as noticable to others at it seems to us.  I use blush to cover mine as it seems that makeup as some have stated would cake and draw more attention to it.  I have had my throid checked blood work is good, slightly anemic but not bad.  I did suffer from a severe sunburn from tanning bed in my teens and I am now 39 this started in my late 20's.  I do look like I have puffy bags under my eyes but i really dont.  There is not fluid retention it just looks like it due to the bright whiteness so I am not puffy just appear to be.  I hope someone can help all of us.  It sounds as though most are doing the right things and still nothing.  There must be something out there.
READ -READ-READ-READ -READ-READ-READ -READ-READ-READ

Hi Dayna,

I posted on here Sep 10, 2010  - I have the same problem and believe it was triggered (like you) by a huge sunburn. This created a degeneration of my immune system and my anti-bodies now kill my melanine cells as if it was an infection.
Just to make sure we are on the same page; this is what I have:

This is a life-long condition (such is cancer) in a sense that it can never be cured, solely managed to reduce/neutralise its effects. The zone most affected are zone of frictions (hands and eyes are often first touched). As a rule of thumb to prevent new patches to appear or old ones to develop you must avoid scratching your body under any cicumstance (.e.g use a bath robe instead of drying yourself with a towel)

Anyway, the IMPORTANT BIT now is that I MAY HAVE FOUND A CURE, I have been to many dermatologists and all said there was nothing to do about it. I did not give up and took an appointement with a reknown Professor inmy area in France who specialises in rare skin conditions. She diagnosed me straight away with a vitiligo (so far no surpise!) but also said it could be cured within 3 to 4 months! (wtf!?)
She said that her treatment was proved effective on many of her patients and there was 90% chances it would disappear on my face. However it is not possible on hands due to the constant frictions with carrying/holding objects.

The cream she prescribed is made up of cortisone and she asked me to get a 'light' exposure to the sun daily to stimulate and duplicate the remaining melanine cells stuck in the hair folicules around the areas.

I  heard about this cure before but did not know it worked for areas such as eyes where skin is very sensitive, She said it work and I would be cured in less than 4 months :))

I will wait to see noticeable progress on my face before mentioning the cream's name as I want to provide reliable information to you all, not something that won't work!

Hope this will work for me (and you all)! Speak in a few weeks.

Thomas
By the way, the treatment costs €40 for 3months, which is more than cheap! But in France medical costs are subventioned by the Gov, so not sure elsewhere how much it would cost but cant be too expensive in any case!
do any of you guys suffer from stress, or emotional distress? Ido, and often have a churning stomach and tension in the tummy area. Maybe this could be due to adrenal problems, as more adrenaline is secreted when we are stressed out.
Also do you guys suffer from anything else, any illness or anything. From a holisitc perspective everything is in some way connected. It would be interesting to know!
Cheers!
hey, i think the answer may be adrenal depletion. do you guys feel tired often and have difficulty sleeping. adrenal glands produce hormones which affect skin colour. and can cause changes to skin pigment. do a google search and youll see. i certainly suffer frm adrenal depletion as i suffer from chronic stress.
Hey all, I read this thread a while ago and generally I fall into feeling OK with the white circles under my eyes as I get more pale, then occasionally I'll go to a beach or something and naturally the white circles will get more noticeable as I get more tan, as many have noted. I am positive mine originally came (now around for 2-3 years) from using a tanning bed where I did not use goggles - I didn't think it mattered, then I noticed the under eye effect, and sure enough it's been around ever since.

I am intrigued that some of you have reported potential cures, it seems like getting oil production to come back is the only real way it could happen - sinus infections don't make sense to me, unless it's possible that the people here are reporting two different conditions, because we seem somewhat split. I will however try it, because at times this is a depressing condition and anything seems worth trying. I have been able to look past it and start forgetting it's there when these things combine for me:

-I drink lots of water/am not dehyrdrated
-I am not that tan, so the difference between pigmentation isn't strong
-I apply under eye makeup (as a guy :/)

I too have it slightly worse under my left eye which is strange. I have considered going to a dermatologist but at times, it hasn't been *that* bad or debilitating to cause it. However, here I am after a week beach vacation now insecure about it again. So it goes.
After seeing 2 different doctors, 1st question was asked, Do you have high cholesterol, which yes I do. they say there is no cure except to have it removed. I am having one done on Friday. Even if you lower your cholesterol its to late.
I had 1 removed today,  heres some good info that I found.                       Xanthelasma (or xanthelasma palpebrarum) is a sharply demarcated yellowish deposit of cholesterol underneath the skin, usually on or around the eyelids.[1] Although not harmful or painful, these minor growths may be disfiguring and can be removed.[1] They are common in people of Asian origin and those from the Mediterranean region.
Because of the hereditary component, they may or may not indicate high blood levels of cholesterol. Where there is no family history of xanthelasmata, they usually indicate high cholesterol and may correlate with a risk of atheromatous disease.
A xanthelasma may instead be referred to as a xanthoma when becoming larger and nodular, assuming tumorous proportions.[2] Still, xanthelasma is often classified simply as a subtype of xanthoma.[3]
hey,
i have googled Xanthelasma and it is totally different to what i have. my skin is smooth with no bumps. it is just paler than the rest of my face, the cheeks etc!
How's the treatment going? Any noticeable results yet?
mine were not bumps, smooth and pale, so happy my insurance covered the removals. Had both eyes done and only cost the copay. My doctor didnt think it would be covered, untill they checked in to it better. I sure  wish I could post a picture of it cause mine didnt look like what was in the picture either. But Docs. can remove them.
Hey guys,
this is starting to depress me Im a 28 years old guy, had this around 3 years now! Im trying the paleo diet to see if it works. Has anyone made any advances?
J
Hi Tracy,
it's been a while since you post this comment, but have you solved your problem? I have had these white circles on my eyes for the last 3 years (I am 33 now) and still haven't found an explanation or a solution, even the dermathologist said he didn't have a clue... probably vitiglio he said (hooray!)
Good to know we are not alone!!
All the best
M
Hello MissPi, I believe this is sun damage in some cases and could possibly be vitiligo in others, we are all so different.  Anyway, with summer on us once again, I am kind of learning to live with this, although I HAVE begun using a skin lightener/regulator that more evenly regulates pigment and fades any "hyper" pigmentation (or darker areas) to make things look more even.  It contains hydroquinone, which is not supposed to be for long term use, however, I have found it is the ONLY thing that seems to make this look better at all.  (the product I am using is called "Clear" from the Obagi NuDerm line and is the ONLY thing that has ever helped this appear less noticeable and I have tried everything!).

In my particular case, the whiter areas are also of a completely different texture (smooth, white, hairless, poreless) so that is another issue I am dealing with.  

Interestingly enough, I just visited a local opthamologist yesterday for an eye exam, she commented on my "rosacea" (as I wanted to show up not wearing makeup so she could see what I was talking about) and this is what makes the most sense to me.  I know there is a strong connection with rosacea and "ocular rosacea" (I've had severe dry eye for well over a year now).  Luckily, there is no infection or anything in my eyes, just severely dry which I believe is contributing to the whiter looking areas right under them.  Add to that equation the fact that the rest of my face (lower mostly) is very red, constantly, and how that contrasts with the other areas and this makes the most sense to me of why these "panda eyes" are like this.  I believe that the skin pigment issues, though, (whiter areas) were originally caused by a severe sunburn two summers ago (well nearly three now!), that sent away and took away some of the skin pigment with it.  

The reason that I believe this so strongly is because immediately upon seeing TWO different dermatologists, BOTH immediately said "oh that's sun damage."  (the whiter looking areas).  I did tan like a crazy person for a long time, with no sun protection so this makes total sense to me.  Also I now use spf55 daily, no matter the weather, always wear my sunglasses (even when the sky is sprinkling, no lie!) and am beyond a coworker wondering why I am wearing sunglasses when it is raining and we are all outside smoking on our break!  I don't care, I only know if I didn't it would make this look WORSE so too bad on them.  Let them wonder, it makes me different, right?  :)  I always joke "hey when you are cool, the sun always shines on you."  lol!  

So as for the best way to conceal this (as a woman anyhow I feel much more empathy for the men out there dealing with this where makeup is not an option), I use a heavily pigmented foundation OVER a product called Dermablend (I apply the Dermablend to the whitest looking areas as a "concealer" then apply foundation all over to make it more even).  I use MAC (although my bottle is almost empty and it's EXPENSIVE but the best I have found to cover), when that happens, I will go back to the more budget friendly (but also very effective and highly pigmented Color Stay by Revlon, you can purchase at any Walmart or pharmacy, it's about ten bucks a bottle vs. $30 for MAC!).  It lasts for a very long time after you've put it on, the hardest challenge is finding the right color/shade match but once you have experimented and done that I think you will find it really helps to cover this pretty well (never completely but I digress) at least enough you can function and not be totally insecure constantly, especially while at work.  I have also started to brush a light coat of "bronze" colored powder blush directly on my upper cheeksbones which kind of mimics a tan of sorts so it makes the contrast less noticeable.  Hope this helps someone!!!!!!  This really ***** to deal with and trust me I know how hard it is!
maybe you've been sessioning far too much. a friend of mine went on a 3 day bender last week and now also has white circles around his eyes. this is more commonly known as Gow syndrome.
it can be treated with multi-vitamins and 8 hours sleep a night until they dissipate.
I have had this problem now for just over 4 years.  It started during a very stressful time in my life.  Now it has spread to my cheek area, and like some of you have commented - it is a different textured skin - smooth, white, non-porous, with a lot less elasticity than the rest of my skin.  I also have tried everything.  Right now I am using DermaBlend to cover the white, but I can still see the difference in texture etc. when the light is shining on my face.  Would love to come up with a solution.  Can't believe there are no dermatologists out there who have found a solution.  I would be willing to pay whatever the cost.  It's not like being overweight - there's hope that you can someday lose the excess.  Right now I feel there is no hope and I can't imagine what I'm going to look like in 5 years,  let alone more....  Please someone tell me they've found a solution.  I've read about applying turmeric and mustard seed oil twice daily, which I have started doing, but it says to re-pigment you need to do this for a year.  Has anyone tried this?
I could not find anything on an Internet search for Gow syndrome.
hey, ive had this problem for a few years. i recently met a dermatologist by chance on the street and she told me it was a condition called Seborrhoeic dermatitis.
does what ye guys have look like this http://www.dermnet.com/images/Seborrheic-Dermatitis/picture/7362
This is what my conditon looks like.

Although the vitiligo patches have not gone entirely they have reduced drastically and are hardly noticeable now. The real effect has been that the line btwn tanned and white areas faded away.
I think the effect would be more pronounced if I lived in a sunny area. Unfortunately I live in the UK at the moment

Anyone with vitiligo ought to try this treatment !
Hi Toma,
But how did you do this then. Was it what your French skin specialist gave you and if so how is this called? You said " I will wait to see noticeable progress on my face before mentioning the cream's name as I want to provide reliable information to you all, not something that won't work!"
I live in France, sun enough but I stay out of it with my face for reasons we all seem  to have.  And yes I am my life long, I am 63 now, a stress kicker and have an exhausted adrenal gland. So cortison is lacking.  Your storie makes sense to me.

"Anyone with vitiligo ought to try this treatment ! "    ...I'm glad it worked for you -- would you be so kind as to reference the name of the cream?  I want to give it a try -- Thanks!
Just thought I'd throw it out there in hopes of helping someone else. I live in Hawaii, often people get white spots on their back/trunk and locally it is nicknamed 'haole rot'. Before moving from Seattle, where I went to tanning beds regularly in effort to prevent SAD, I had this skin condition not knowing what it was. Long story short I went to a doctor and got diagnosed with Versicolor Tinea, a fungus that affects the melanin of your skin. Read more here http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/tinea-versicolor-cause-symptoms-treatments.
I had it for over a year and after several doctors/ treatments later finally got properly diagnosed and prescribed Ketoconazole cream 2%. My back trunk has been spot free since. Unfortunately, now years later, I have noticed the same spots on my face now under my eyes. I will update on progress as t what my doctor has to say about the under eye spots. Hoping it is the same... as the candida diet, cream and suppliments cleared it up within weeks.
I'm a 30 year old female and noticed just last year these white circles around my eyes. I've read a lot of interesting things and I'm going to share....

I'm olive skinned, I've always tanned very easy. I went to the tanning bed and never wore goggles.

I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer when I was 26 and had the thyroid removed. I am on medicines for life for that.

I also have a pituitary tumor at the base of my brain.

After my wedding a year ago I stopped tanning. I didn't go to the tanning bed. About 6 months after I quit I noticed the circles. I went to the tanning bed thinking oh my gosh get the color back. And it was a huge fail. The white circles turn tomato red, and I got to stay like that for 2 days. To work and all.  

I notice the circles the most right after I get out of the hot shower. I look ridiculous. I've wrote down a few of the medical terms used throughout this posting. I have to do any research. I am currently at work, but intend to read up on this.

Good luck to all.