Dermatology Expert Forum
White Spots

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

White Spots
I get these white spots on my face (rarely on the rest of my body) and I'm not sure what they are. When I tan or where makeup they stand out even more. I just want to know what they are and what I can do about it.
Mary:

While I obviously can't say for sure without examining you, I susupect you are describing pityriasis alba, a mild type of eczmea which can affect the face and leave light spots which are not permanent.  I suugest you try OTC hydrocortisone 1% plus moisturizing.  Over the warmer months, the condition should even out.  A dermatology consultation would also be a good idea.

Best.

Dr. R
I have had little white spots on my legs and arms for several years.Each year I get more little white spots on me .The ones that has been there for awhile gets a little bigger.I do lay out in the sun ,the little white spots get whiter and that is when I get more little white spots.Please help .
I have white spots on the fronts of my thighs and one large spot
on my forearm. I am starting to get them on my face. I have been tanning in a bed and this has been making them worse. what can I do and what are they?
I too am getting these white spots on my hands and in the arch of my arm pit.  I got one on my hand two years ago and it has never gone away.  Now everytime I lay out in the sun I get more on my hand and they seem to be growing in size.  Has anyone ever found out what these spots are and how do you get rid of them or prevent them from growing.
I also have white circles that were just diagnosed as a type of yeast infection.  See a dermatologist!
I too have them on my legs.  Just started this year an I seem to have quite a large number of them.  A yeast infection?  Are antibiotics prescribed then?  Thanks.
A related discussion, white spots on hands and legs was started.
A related discussion, Tinea versicolor was started.
A related discussion, tint round white spots on arms and legs was started.