White lumps forming in skin wounds

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

White lumps forming in skin wounds

For the past 5 years give or take, I've been seeing an issue where when I develop a skin infection or have a case of acne, sometimes inside the spot as it heals a white, rubbery, almost fibrous mass will develop. If I leave it alone, it seems the mass will keep growing and form pea-sized lumps under the skin. If I keep the area softened under a bandage, usually a lesion forms on the lump and with pressure, the rubbery mass will come out. This leaves a gaping hole in the skin that about 50% of the time will form another mass. They usually don't grow larger then pea sized but have on occasion gotten somewhat bigger.

The mass that comes out almost has a grain to it, and seems to be connected to the skin tissue at the very bottom by a very small section with the rest just floating inside the skin. I wasn't concerned about this for the most part other then developing them on my chest for awhile, but now they're beginning to appear on my neck, back, and arms sporadically. The ones on my neck can get very sore due to rubbing on skin, and all of them have very annoying sensations related to touch and clothing, IE it's obvious there's something in the skin that shouldn't be there for lack of a better term.

I'm curious as to what exactly this is called and what can be done about it if anything. The mass is obviously some kind of skin growth, but what kind I have no idea.