Dermatology Expert Forum
White spot on lip

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

White spot on lip

About 4 months ago, a white spot about the size of a pencil eraser appeared in the corner of my lower lip.  It looks like a small blister except it is flat with no fluid in it and doesn't hurt.  There is no lump in the lip.  It seems to be more gray color in the morning and white in the afternoon.  It just looks like a small piece of white skin but it doesn't go away.  What do you think this is and should I just ignor it.  It doesn't cause any problem-just makes me curious as to what it is.  We live in the winter in Tucson where there is a lot of sun but I use chap stick with a SPF of 15.  Again, it has no feeling and is perfectly flat.  Would appreciate your evaluation.  Thanks
A spot that comes on that quick isn't likely to be anything sun-related or dangerous.  The variation in color during the day probably just reflects how much moisture is in the lip.  Could it be persisting because you lick or bite it, consciously or otherwise?

I would ignore it for another couple of months, and leave it alone as much as possible.  If it's still there in, say, two months, show a doctor.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
A related discussion, Doc Please Help! was started.