acne breakouts - at age 42

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

acne breakouts - at age 42

In the past few months, I have had at least two or three MAJOR acne outbreaks on my face.  I never had much acne as a teen, but this has gotten ridiculous.  When I suffer from these breakouts, I mostly get VERY itchy red bumps on my forehead, my cheeks and whiteheads on the sides of my nose.  I try not to touch them other than when I am cleansing (mild facial cleanser [Kiehls' brand]), or applying moisturizer (Nivea for men).  I am not doing anything new in terms of grooming habits or using new products, and these outbreaks remain a mystery.  I tried applying OTC benzoyle peroxide the last time I had an outbreak, but it did no good.  Eventually (about 2 weeks after the start of the outbreak), it just cleared up on its own.

Any thoughts?  I have been under quite a bit of stress, but I'm always under stress!  LOL  That is nothing new!

Thanks!
It can be due to adult acne which occur due to hormonal imbalance at this age. Just keep you face clean by washing with a mild soap atleast twice a day. Pat it dry and do not rub it. Avoid picking or pressing the acne. You can also use Benzoyl peroxide 5% lotion or gel once at bedtime. An amount of lotion the size of a pea should be enough to cover most of your face. If your skin becomes red or peels, you are using too much of the medicine or applying it too often. If the symptoms persist then topical and oral antibiotics may be needed.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Hello, thank you for your response.  I believe my breakouts are being caused (or triggered) by stress.  My stress level has decreased in the past few days and the acne seems to be clearing up on its own.  I will continue to wash twice a day with a mild soap and will consult my dermatologist as needed.  Thank you, again