Dermatology Expert Forum
anal itch

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

anal itch

I have been suffering from anal itch for several years now.  The problem only seems to occur at night.  It used to come and go but for the past several months it has been every night.  I have been using Anusol but it is becoming less and less effective and I am concerned that I am over using it.  I have been to embarrassed to go to my regular doctor but now it is beginning to effect my sleep and it is frustrating as well as embarrassing I assume this happens to other males since there are over the counter medications.

Thanks for the help.
RB:

Don't be embarrassed!  Anal itch is very common, even though people don't chat about it at dinner parties.  

You can suppress it, but it keeps coming back.  (Lots of skin things are like that.)  You can't overuse Anusol, but if that's stopped helping, get some over-the-counter hydrocortisone, prederably in an ointment base (like vaseline in feel,) and apply it twice or three times a day.  Use plain vaseline liberally and often.  Wipe gently.

As things improve, use the treatment less often.  When it gets worse, step up the pace again.  If you don't get even temporary relierf, ask your doctor or dermatologist.

But don't be embarrassed!

Best.

Dr. R
I would like to offer another possible explanation for your nighttime anal itching.  There is a worm called a pinworm and these worms cause anal itching at night.  You can contract these worms by ingesting the eggs.  The eggs are found in soil, so if you are a gardener this could be an explanation also if you have children you could be passing pin worms back and forth so the whole family should be treated at the same time. The treatment is simple just  a prescription from your doctor.  Also washing bed linens in hot soapy water to stop the cycle..  Ask your doctor and he or she will be very helpful..
Although pinworms are often invoked as causes of anal itch, they are rarely present.  I learned about them as a pediatric trainee 25 years ago, and since then the number of people with anal itch I've seen who have pinworms is zero.

Dr. R
He mentioned that the problem occurs mostly at night. Enterobius Vermicularis or the pinworm are known to be active at night at times. I had a similar problem a few months ago. I had unsuccessful results with Mebendazole and then Albendazole. However one dose of 500 Mg Pyrantel Pamoate was enough to cause immediate relief. No problems after that.
I suppose he could try Pyrantel Pamoate, its just a single dose, and there are hardly any side effects....else its time for the NIH Swab :)
Working with small children as I do, and perhaps as a result of living in the South, we find pinworms as a very common cause of anal itch.  Taking a flashlight to the rectum of a sleeping child at night is usually sufficient evidence of pinworm....you can actually see the little critters moving around.  Both of my children had pinworms repeatedly throughout elementary school...they were thumbsuckers and nailbiters which helped them keep reinfecting themselves.  It is fairly common for the adults in a family to be infected from the children.  Pinworm medications which in Florida are now over the counter recommend treating the whole family....then you must vacuum carpet flooring and upholstry, wash sheets and towels daily and dry in hot dryer, wear double underwear, and be scrupulously clean for a few days to keep from reinfestation.  Even stuffed animals need dried in a hot dryer....my roommate one year got pinworms from a nursing home.  Often the only symptoms is anal itch.  The first time it occured
in my child, the pediatrician missed the diagnosis, he was thinking she was having urinary problems or allergies or other stuff, we moved to Florida and the new pediatrician recognized INSTANTLY the symptoms, told us how to look for the worms and we were amazed to watch them crawl.  Whenever we see kids in our preschool class itch their butts, we tell their parents to call their doctor and get instructions for chekcing for worms...more often than not, a pinworm infection is found.  Often adults in the family are infected, even those without symptoms.  Before I worked with little kids, I never heard of pinworms, lice, scabies, crawling eruption, etc....what an education I have had!

MY DAUGHTER HAS A RASH ON THE BACK OF HER NECK,CHEST AND TUMMY
AREA.I SUSPECT IT IS AN ALLERGIC REACTION ,BUT COULD IT BE
ONE OF THE CHILD DISEASES LIKE CHICKEN POX? SHE IS 8 YRS. OLD.
I itch like hell about once every two months or so. I wash bathe or what ever every day and clean well. I itch so bad sometimes I develope blisters or sores that sometimes bleed. What can I do to stop this?
I itch like hell about once every two months or so. I wash bathe or what ever every day and clean well. I itch so bad sometimes I develope blisters or sores that sometimes bleed. What can I do to stop this?Well you can kiss my itching *** for all thats worth....
A related discussion, Itching was started.
A related discussion, embaressed was started.
For over six months, I've noticed red skin on one side of my anus. There is less hair on that side. Even though the skin is red, it it NOT swollen, nor does it really hurt. Sometimes there are small cuts on the anus itself after a bowel movement and wiping with toilet paper--dry. Is this a skin infection? If so, can hydrocortisone cream applied daily "cure" my problem? What about "natural cures"? THANKS!