Dermatology Community
back of hand scaly, white patches
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

back of hand scaly, white patches

In the last few years (I am now 67) the backs of my hands have developed white, hard, crusty areas.  Nothing I have tried will remove them.  Vaseline softens the spots and lessons the visual effect as do other hand creams, but the scaly area remain.  I even file away at them with a rough pumas stone and get some of the top layer removed, but the base of whatever this is remains - then the raised areas return.  Any suggestions or information appreciated.  My google searches have not turned up specific information.    J
Related Discussions
563773_tn?1374250139
Hello,
These can be due to callus or HPV warts. For calluses of hand, apply lots of moisturing lotion and vit E on the hands. Place protective covering or bandages over the sore to decrease friction on the skin until the sore heals. Rub sandpaper disks or pumice stone over hard thickened regions. Soak feet or hands in warm soapy water to soften calluses. Then rub with a pumice stone and apply some moisturizer.

If still the calluses persist, then go in for removal by surgical means or with keratolytic agents (medicines that break up hardened areas of skin). Shaving or cutting off the hardened area on the skin by a doctor is also helpful.
Hope it helps. Take care and do keep us posted on how you are doing.

Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Dermatology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...