Dermatology Expert Forum
blueish/purplish vein? appearing on toddler

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

a few days ago i noticed a blue vein or vessel on the side of my toddlers face... coming down the cheek and running to the jawline. when i looked later, it seemed to be gone. Since then I have noticed it a couple of times and it seems to disappear when i look later in the day.

I seen the ped today because my toddler had a swollen node and he said the node was probably swollen from a fly bite or something and it was normal. I also asked him about the blue vein (which didn't appear to be visable at that time and he just shook his his head and said that it is nothing . Not sure if he was really listening to me.

My question is....is this normal? i can't remember ever seeing the vein there before a few days ago.

He also had a cough for the last week..i was wondering if this could be from that (coughing a lot during the night)

Dear cherrytop,

Thank you for posting the query,

You have provided a good description of your baby's skin problem. I appreciate it.

It is common for toddlers to have visible veins on the face, particularly if one has a fair complexion. The veins become more prominent when a child cries or coughs a lot.

I can understand your concern as a mother, but let me reassure you that temporarily visible veins are nothing to worry about.

You can consider consulting a dermatologist at your place in case you observe a persisting red or a blue patch over the area.

Otherwise I feel your baby is absolutely normal.

Hope that this information helps and hope that you will get better soon.

Thank you for using MedHelp's "Ask an Expert" Service, where we feature some of world's renowned medical experts in their fields. Millions have benefitted from our service to get personalized advice for them and for their loved ones.

Best Regards,
Dr. Bharat Chawda
I wanted to add that the visable vein/vessel is under the skin only. ..otherwise I can not see it.
Thank you for answering.  I noticed some red spots over his cheek today. Maybe 10. Is this the red patch you were talking about? How long do you consider persisting? weeks?  forever?

I will show my family doctor today. I am worried b/c it could be some time before I get to see the ped or derm because I have to wait for referral and appointment again.

To the Doctor or anyone that is reading...seen the doctor today and oddly the red spots disappeared quite awhile before I went there so he thinks this is normal as well. Hopefully he is right.

Dear cherrytop,

Thank you for writing back.

It would be very difficult for me to come to a conclusion regarding the cause as I have not seen the lesion. Physical examination is advisable in such cases for correct diagnosis.

But I would like to reassure you that it does not seem to be a life threatening condition.

Please go ahead with consultation with your Dermatologist as you have planned already.

Best Regards,
Dr. Bharat Chawda