Dermatology Expert Forum
boney lump on skull

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

boney lump on skull

I'VE DEVELOPED WHAT I CAN ONLY DESCRIBE AS NOT A LUMP BUT A PROTRUSION ON THE CROWN OF MY SKULL. I NOTICED IT WHILE WASHING MY HAIR ABOUT 6 MONTHS AGO. IT HASN'T INCREASED IN SIZE SINCE THEN. IT'S BONE HARD AND DOESN'T CAUSE ME ANY PAIN BUT I AM CONSTANTLY AWARE OF ITS PRESENCE.

THE DOCTOR WASN'T CONCERNED WHEN HE EXAMINED IT, EXPLAINING THAT BONES SOMETIMES DEVELOP SWELLINGS AND USED EXOSTOSIS AS AN EXAMPLE.
I HAVE BEEN CONCERNED ABOUT IT LATELY AND I FEEL MY WORRY HAS LET TO AN INTOLERABLE ITCHING,TINGLING AND TENDERNESS OF MY SCALP (SIDES AND CROWN) ESPECIALLY DURING THE NIGHT. I HAD A HAIRCUT RECENTLY WHICH WAS PARTICULARLY UNCOMFORTABLE.

I'VE LEARNED FROM PREVIOUS QUESTIONS ASKED ON THIS FORUM THAT STRESS CAN LEAD TO ITCHING OF THE SCALP.
MY QUESTIONS ARE:

1. MY SCALP, AS WELL AS FEELING ITCHY AND TENDER, SOMETIMES FEELS SLIGHTLY TIGHT AS IF MY HAIR HAS BEEN PULLED. WHAT IS THIS?

2. HOW CAN I TREAT THE OVERALL DISCOMFORT OF MY SCALP?

3. CAN YOU SHED ANY FURTHER LIGHT ON THE SWELLING AT THE TOP OF MY SKULL? IS IT A CAUSE FOR CONCERN?

THANKS IN ADVANCE, Irish Resident.
I think the doctor's assessment, exostosis, is quite likely.  However, I can't say for certain, of course.  Your symptoms almost certainly represent anxiety.  The way to treat them is to eliminate the anxiety.  One way would be to consult the physician again about getting a radiologic study to establish the diagnosis with certainty.  If the doctor is reluctant, perhaps if you share your anxiety and its symptoms, he or she may permit it.  No topical scalp treatment is likely to make any difference--this is in the head, not on it, I think.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
did yours ever go away? i have been having sinus problems for about a month now. my head feels the same way all the time. i dont know if it is stress or not since it doesnt seem to go away. ive felt like this for about 3 weeks. its like my skin feels sunburned or something even though i havent been out in the sun. when i raise my eyebrows i can also feel it in my forehead. just wondered if you had any followup.
A related discussion, elongated boney protrusion/bulge on top of skull was started.
A related discussion, In reply to boney lump on skull was started.