bruising that won't go away

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

bruising that won't go away

my daughter, has had a small purple circular bruise like thing on her left chest area. It's been there for years, at least 5 that I'm aware of. It's not raised or bumpy, just smooth normal looking on her skin, just a bruise like area. She's since showed me recently and said it looked bigger, and it is. It used to be about a penny size and now looks to be slightly larger then a quarter. She's a special needs child with autism...so I've looked at it off an on for some time. I used to think maybe it was just a birth mark or what a friend had said a mongolian mark like her child, however the friends child is of mixed race and my child is just caucausian. So I'm not sure if that means anything what so ever. My daughter remarked in questioning that it might have gotten larger due to her starting to develop breasts, she's 12 1/2. I'm just curious. Should I be worried and seek a physican or just let it be and keep an eye on it? I don't see it changing to any darker colors, it's been blue-ish purple for as long as I've know it to be there.
Such kind of rash can be due to lichen planus or pityriasis rosea. Pityriasis rosea is a common human skin disease which presents as numerous patches of pink or red oval rash. The rash may be accompanied by low-grade headache, fever, nausea and fatigue and itching. Topical and oral steroids are needed. Water, sweat, and soap may cause irritation and should be avoided in the disease. Topical zinc oxide and calamine lotion are useful for pruritus.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.