bug bite that won't go away

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

bug bite that won't go away

About 5 weeks ago I had what I thought was a mosquito bite on my arm.  Just a normal bite-sized bump which eventually got a head on it, so I used Prid which seemed to get rid of the pus, but the bump remained.  

About 3 weeks ago the bump got flat but the area just around it was covered with tiny bumps, like a very small rash about the size of a dime.  It never itched.  It stayed that way for 3 weeks and for a few days I thought it was getting better, but now I'm seeing more of the tiny bumps appear in the area.  Just a few, about 5-6 of the tiny bumps, but I am completely flummoxed!  What could this be?

I tried Neosporin, Benadryl cream, and hydrocortizone but they didn't do anything.  I was on an antibiotic for 10 days for an unrelated condition and it didn't affect it, either.  
This sounds like a spider bite.
My sister had a bite on her leg from what she though was a mosquito bite. It stayed for a couple years and reminded me of a wart. She said it was tender when she would bump it and it did stick up. She had it removed and they found staph infection in it. It took a while to heal and turned out to be much bigger than it looked. She had a time with it keeping it open to drain. You may want to go to a dermatoligist to have a look at it. Even spider bites can get infected and cause problems, especially if you have already used topidal antibiotic and a prescription, and  did not help. They  can swab it and take a blood sample, to assure getting the right med. Hope it works out ok.  Bugs seem to carry germs more than ever before.Hope it clears up soon.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

The bump was infected but the bacterial infection has likely healed already. I would advise that you stop picking on the bump as blistering may occur if a dermatitic or viral infection may be present. This may not be something serious however if redness and discharge may be present then we may think of a bacteria as a likely cause. However for blisters with no associated pain, a dermatitic skin condition or viral infection may be considered. Some viral infection such as HSV type 1 may be transmitted through direct skin contact.
Thanks for all your answers!  I don't think it's staph because I was just on 10 days of doxycycline.  Also, I'm not picking or scratching at the bump at all, I just leave it alone.  The last time I tried any ointments was a couple weeks ago.
I just wanted to mention that it appears to be fungal -- just in case someone came across this discussion in a search.  I've been using tolnaftate and it is almost completely gone now.