Dermatology Expert Forum
circular light-red rashes in groin area?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Hello.  

I am 23 years old generally healthy, not overweight, and I practice good hygene.  I haven't been sexually active for over 4 months.  I have never had anything like this happen previously.  

The other day 3 circular/oval rash type things appeared out of no where below my belt line.  One just below my belt line, one a little lower to the right of my genitals, and another on the shaft of my penis.  All about 1 cm in diameter.  There is no itching, pain, or burning.  No pus or bleeding.  They are barely raised, light red, and look kind of like first degree burns.  Over the past 3 days they haven't spread or changed at all.  

As any normal human being would do I freaked out and thought for sure I had an STD.

Later that day I noticed a larger one (close to 2 cm in diameter) parallel to my belly button.  This one is pink and kind of flaky. It is hard to notice at first glance.  I also noticed a few raised pinkish spots on my lower back.

After doing some research I suspected that it may be a fungus, especially since I spend a lot of time sitting in a lazyboy with a computer resting in my lap.

I am in a pivitol point in my life at the moment and don't have health insurance yet.

-Is it imperitive to go see a doctor?

-Does this sound like a STD?

-What should I do about it?

Thanks for your help :)
Your rash does not sound like an STD.  It may be eczema.  A fungus is possible, I guess, though less likely.  I recommend that you apply over-the-counter 1% clotrimazole cream (antifungal) twice a day.  If the spots aren't gone in two weeks, you should see a doctor for reassurance and diagnosis.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Thanks, will do.  The more I read the more it sounds like Pityriasis rosea.  Can this occur on the genitals?
It does indeed sound like pityriasis rosea. You could expect more such lesions over the coming days. Harmless. Supposed to be caused by a virus -HHV 7 I think. The differential includes dermatophyte infections, guttate psoriasis,secondary syphilis. Do a VDRL or similar just to exclude syphilis. Pit.rosea is self limiting but a mild steroid cream and emollients may help relief itch which is occ. present. May last 6-8 weeks.Some have found oral erythromycin to shorten the course.