Dermatology Expert Forum
circular rash

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

circular rash
Hi.  
About 31/2 weeks ago, i noticed a few small blistery bumps on my shoulder.  They itched a little bit.  Then a ring of blisters formed around them, with the center of the circle clear skin.  About the size of a nickel.  Now the itching was terrible! I used a 1% hydrocortizone cream twice a day.  It seemed to be helping, because the rash seemed to be changing...less blisters, then just a red, irritated ring.  Then after about a week and a half of this treatment, an outer ring of blisters appeared, with the inner circle seeming healed.  Just as I thought my skin was looking better after another week, a third ring of blisters have now developed. Now this is an inch or two in diameter.  I spend time with children and animals, though none of them seem to be having a skin problem.  Should I try a ring worm anti-fungal cream?  And if I do, which one?  I need a non-prescription because I do not have a doctor. Do you have any ideas on what this could be?               Thank You,   Sarah
Sarah:

It could indeed be "ringworm" (fungus).  Hydrocortisone can make fungus flourish, and develop extra rings like the ones you describe.  Try OTC clotrimazole 1% twice a day for a couple of weeks, and of course stop the hydrocortisone.  Some fungus, though not all, does come from animals, so another check might be in order.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Sara, I don't know what your medication stated, and I am not a physician, but my medication stated to apply the cream even after the rashes disappeared in the same location, and it does not mean if you don't see them for a certain period, that they are gone.  They can re-appear, if you are not careful.

Basil
Thank you Dr. Rockoff, and Basil!  I will try it!