DERMATOLOGY
COMMUNITY
clear fluid filled bumps on pinky finer
by swee, Jun 14, 2007
About a month ago I developed a few clear liquid filled bumps on the top of my pinky finger. They were itchy at first.  They eventually popped (sometimes I would pop them) and they would turn into little open wounds and continue to release small amounts of fluid. Then the area would get really dry and cracked and stay like that for about 2 weeks.  Then it would seem to clear up but start all over agin with the little fluid filled bumps.  I haven't seen a doctor about this yet.  Does anyone have any idea what this could be?
Member Comments (119)
by chellybeans, Jun 14, 2007
maybe a version of dermatitis also referred to as hand eczema.

by maggiefiona, Jun 15, 2007
I have had the same exact problem, same symptoms for years. A few weeks ago it flared up on my index fingers.  I used to think it was an allergic reaction to night shade vegetables like tomatoes or eggplant because of the acid levels.  I have heard that it could be stress induced or perhaps happens when you retain water before your menstrual cycle.

I am most likely going to see my dermatologist to get a clear answer because it really does bother me. Please let me know if you hear what it is first
by abbadoo192, Jun 27, 2007
I have exactly the same problem right now.  The bumps started about a year ago, sometime after the birth of my daughter.  I've been to my family doctor twice already and nothing seems to work.  I have also considered a correlation between the rash and acidic foods but I haven't changed my diet to find out.  The bumps originated on my left ring finger and it has now spread to my left middle, ring, and pinky finger, and also my right ring and middle fingers.  My husband is constantly yelling at me for scratching but my hands just itch like crazy...not to mention the fact that I can't wear my rings due to all of the swelling.  

If the current medication I was prescribed doesn't help, my next step is a dermatologist.  If you happen to get an answer first, please pass some info on to me.  Best of luck!
by madscientistjg, Jun 28, 2007
I've had the same problem but to a larger extent most of my life.  I get the little bumps on my hands (palms mostly but sometimes up on my fingers depending on the severity of the "break out") and on my feet (much rarer).  I went to the doctor for it as a child eveytime it happened and after years of lotions, creams and steroids it still is hasn't gone away, although I've started to note patterns of break outs and they've gotten less frequent and severe.

I've found at least 3 seperate triggers that cause break outs for me.  The first is stress.  Second is rapid and extreme change in enviornmental temperature (I live in the mid atlantic states, so extreme spring to summer and fall to winter temperature changes).  Third is use of a new product, such as hair gel, lotion, soap or any other chemical that comes into contact with my hands.  My feet will sometimes react to wearing no socks in shoes with sythetic materials so I try to avoid that as much as possible.  I don't know if stress and weather affects everyone, but they do for me to an extent.  My best suggestion is to really pay attention to what you touch and try and note if you have any incidence right after using anything new.  I also always wash my hands after using a new product.  I will sometimes pop the little blisters but I'm careful to wash my hands a lot with soap or use an antibacterial hand sanitizer to avoid getting an infection.  I hope some of that is helpful.  
by PeterBen, Jul 02, 2007
You can read my entry in forum titled "Itchy Hands", along with the others. I didn't mention these small blisters. They don't always appear after these episodes of severe itching. I do have Arthritis everywhere in both hands. I'm thinking they are related. But I can't find anything on this Web yet. I thought I had found it under "Psoriac Arthritis". But they do not mention the itching in with the symptoms. I have had several severe bouts with Poison Ivy, Oak and Sumach in my life time. Maybe it recessed into my system in the process of clearing up. I mean where does it really go after it's gone?? Is it really  GONE?
by sara2innocent, Jul 14, 2007
I have this same problem, on my hands and feet. i did a google search to see if anyone else had it. its been going on for a few years now, and its so frustrating because even if i keep my hands lotioned, the blisters still eventualy break open, and cause patches of peeling skin that looks terrible!  if anyone hears of anything that works to fix it, let me know.
by tasha19, Oct 20, 2007
i have about the same thing but it's way worse...
not only is it on my hands but my whole body itches, and i can't stop...
i have heard from countless numbers of people who say they have gone to the doctor but the doctor won't do anything!
someone told me that they had the same thing and they demanded the doctor give them SOMETHING so he gave her promethazine creme? i think.. and then it went away.
she told me it is the first step of SCABIES... and i googled it and it kinda looks like it...
please help if u know ne thing!!!!!!
by PaganBaby, Dec 13, 2007
dyshidrotic eczema.  I image googled this. For years I have had the same problems but didn't have a clue to what it was.  Glad to find out I wasn't the only one that didn't know what was going on.  Mine occur solely on one section of my palms and sometimes I'll get a few here and there on my fingers.

http://www.emedicine.com/derm/topic110.htm
That is a great link giving pic examples and of course an outline of what it is and what triggers the fluid filled blisters.  Hope this helps the rest of you.