dandruff or lice?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

dandruff or lice?

Ok so for about 3 weeks now I have had an itchy scalp. I thought it was just from dandruff, which I get from this time of year, along with an itchy scalp. However, twice I have found centimeter-sized bugs in my hair when I was taking a shower. My mom has gone through my hair thoroughly three times and has found no bugs, only white flecks, which she can't distinguish dandruff from nit eggs. The white stuff hasn't multiplied or anything, but we want to be sure whether its lice or just dandruff.

Lice nits resemble dandruff and it is hard distinguishing them. It is easily spread and are generally spread through direct head-to-head contact with an infested person. To confirm the diagnosis run a comb through your hair and look for any lice or nits.

If the diagnosis is confirmed then you may need medicated shampoos and rinses for which you need to consult a dermatologist.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.