dark patches on skin

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

dark patches on skin

hi, i have dark brown skin and in the past year i have noticed a dark patch of skin appearing on my skin.  This patch is much darker than the surrounding skin and takes the shape of a band which includes my temple on each side and my forehead.  i started to notice this condition a few months after i got eczema on my temples and forehead.  i have similar dark patches on my body where i have had bad eczema and i was wondering if these would go away too.  however, i am unsure if the dark skin on my forehead was caused by the eczema as my father has also had a similar problem his entire life.  also, being slighlty embarresed by the problem, i have been wearing a fringe since the skin has become dark, though now i wonder if this somehow has contributed  to the problem e.g. through dirt.  i know this is a long question but i wanted to include everything as i'm really stuck and  i would really appreciate any advice you could give me on how to get rid of the dark skin.
Without examination,confirmation of a diagnosis is tough but it can be pityriasis versicolor.It is a common skin infection caused by the yeast Malassezia furfur. This skin disease commonly affects adolescents and young adults, especially in warm and humid climates.

Most cases of fungal infections respond to over-the-counter products, which contain any of several basic ingredients: miconazole, tolnaftate, terbinafine,ketaconazole and clotrimazole.You can consult a pharmacist and get any cream or lotion containing these ingredients. Some of them are Lamisil, Monistat derm, Mycelex, and Nizoral.

If the symptoms persist then it will be best to get it evaluated from a dermatologist.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional doubts.Kind regards.

thank you so much for your relpy, i really appreciate it.  having read your comment i looked up pityriasis versicolor and, having seen pictures, this doesn't seem to be the cause of the dark skin on my forehead.  the darkess is in one complete band rather than in sparodic dots.  my condition seems simular to the one at this address http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Dermatology/dark-patches-on-my-forehead/show/459993 but unfortunatley there wasn't an answer to this that seemed to fit.  my skin is also not itchy and i don't have allergies to anything except for hayfever.  i hope you can reply with additional help.  
Here are some ways to get rid of dark patches on your skin.

• Potato acts as a very good bleaching agent. Slice a potato and keep them over the face. This would lighten the marks.

• Take a little turmeric powder and add a few drops of lime juice. Apply this on the darkened area. This would help to reduce tan effectively.

• Dry some orange peels. Then, mix them to a bowl of curd. This would be beneficial in removing tan. Keep this for about 15 minutes and wash off with cold water.