detached nails

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

detached nails

I used to have what I considered fungus on my toes. I guess it's still there, but Im treating it pretty well so no discoloring at the moment.
My problem is that my nail isnt straight. the fungus made it strangely shaped so that the line where the nail is attached to the skin underneath is very curvy, not straight, and not nice to look at.
Other problems this causes is accumilation of fiber and dirt under my nail and on the side of the nail - where normal people have nice clean skin covering the side of the nail preventing such a thing.
I would like to know what I can do to get my nail to re attach itself to the skin, and what I can do for the skin around the nail to once again wrap it nicely.
I am willing to do everything! I Just recently bought Silicon dioxide which I drink to help my nails grow faster. will applying that to the nail or underneath it help?
Will inserting acid under the nail help?
how can I control the attachment line?
If I clean the nail to get the dirt out, the nail grows further apart again! So should I not clean it?
Please help! My toes mean the world to me....
anyone know?
Cause no one seems to know the answer
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi.

Do the nails appear detached at the moment?

Nails that appear detached may have to be removed if indicated or give way for the growth of a new nail. This may be a case of onychomycosis or as you have mentioned a fungal infection of the nail itself. Have you had this assessed by a dermatologist? Topical medications may not be enough to treat fungal infections of the nails. You may need oral medications for these.

Discuss this with your dermatologist. "Surgical nail removal may be used to treat severe or recurring fungal nail infections. Once the diseased nail tissue is removed, an antifungal cream can be applied directly to the infected area. This is likely to be more effective than using one of these treatments alone. "

Source:http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/tc/fungal-nail-infections-surgery

With the presenting symptoms and the fact that you say you have a fungal nail infection, I would suspect you have onychomycosis. Onychomycosis does lead to onycholysis, painless separation of the nail from the nail bed. Topical treatment in most cases is enough but does take up to 6 months, while oral medication will only be prescribed under certain conditions.

In terms of treatment you need to get your nails cut to stop the buildup of fibre and dirt. There is no treatment that will reattach the nail to the nail bed, just have to wait for a new nail to grow. Do not insert acid under your nail as this can lead to further complications such as a sub-ungal ulcer. I would not waste your time seeing a dermatologist instead go to a foot professional (podiatrist), they will be able to cut your nail so that it doesnt catch on clothing, assess if you have a fungal infection and provide you will the best treatment for it.

Regards

Dr Foot