dry and cracked thumb and pointer finger!

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

My right thumb and pointer finger have been extremely dry and cracked for over a month. I have tried every lotion including Vaseline to try to cure it. I recently showed my mom and sister, and they said that it looks like it might be a finger fungus since it is only covering 2 fingers. What would this be? It is sore, but only when it catches on fabric. What does it sound like it could be?
Thank you,
Nanette
I have a similar dry, callus skin situation.

It started as a little patch on the knuckle of my index fingers. It looked like I had scraped them. Now it's on both thumbs, index and starting to appear on the middle and little fingers.

I've tried ever hand cream, Tinactin, Triamcinolone and am currently trying betamethasone DIp. None of it works.

What is it?
I have kinda similar hard surface growth dry and cracked on my thumb next to my nail seems like some sort of fungus and help yet
Sounds like the psoriasis i have had since i was 7 or 8. I am 23 now and it just comes and goes with time as it pleases. NOTHING seems to help, except wearing rubber gloves at night to keep the skin moisturized. This helps keep it from cracking a little bit. I have tried all the different creams for it and none ever work long, if at all. Tazorac, Elocon, cortizones, etc...
Both of my thumb nails are almost gone the top of my nail is constantly cracking off until they bleed my doctor gave me lamisil I took it for 3 months it did not help. I wash my hands alot and use gloves what can I do I do not have health care insurance to go to a doctor right now 11/20/07
please describe your condition  does it start every month with blisters ?  then peals , then drys up  then starts again?    i have solution after 15 years of suffering  
Hello geoffrey2, what solution do you have, because I have the same problem, I only have my two thumb and index fingers with this problem. My fingers crack and dead skin appears where you can just pill it off but it hurts. I put Hydrogen Peroxide and my hands turns white and inside the infected nails it shows a lot more white like foam and it hurts for a little bit and goes away. But then days or weeks later my thumb and index finger crack up and start to bleed and I can use those fingers at all because If I put pressure it hurts like crazy. I've been researching of what to use but this discussions help to know what does and doesn't help. If you have a cure please let me know.
Thank you
My thumbs are a mess cracked bleeding and very tender if you have a cure please tell me.
I developed same condition almost a year ago.  Dermatologist said it was contact dermatitis so I needed to find out what was causing it so I could avoid it.  As I'm right-handed, and it was just my right pointer finger and thumb, I assumed it might be a reaction to the pens I use at work...possibly the rubber grip.  I switched to an all metal pen.  No help.  A few days ago, I started slathering my finger and thumb with Bag Balm and sleeping with a glove on my hand.  Several of the cracks have healed and it is much less painful.  Today I decided to switch my coffee mug at work thinking there might be something in the glaze, however in the meantime as I search for the culprit, the Bag Balm really helps.
I have no idea what exactly what I have. I have thick black shiny skin on my knuckles and toes. When I get my hands wet the dead thick skin becomes soft and peals as I ex foliate with a rock. Once dry it peels off and bleeds. Does anyone know of any over the counter creams or pills that might help?
i also  have similar prob.. the skin on my index finger and thumb seems to b peeling off..not bleeding or anything. Just the tips and cracks..i have been having this for more than a month.. do u have a solution for it?
I have the same issue with my LEFT thumb and index finger...I'm RIGHT handed though so I don't understand what could be bugging my left fingers when I do everything w/ my right....I've tried lotions and everything but nothing is helping and it hurts to TYPE cause my thumb is so tender now..its been happening on and off for a few years now but this time almost 3 weeks (the longest) hasn't and wont go away. any answer to WHAT this is and how to make it stop plz send them my way
my is the same way,try cerve cream, get the one int he jar,its for eczema,psoriasis,its about 15 dollards at walgreens,this is the very good,i try ever things,this is the best thing.
I have the same Exact problem as all of you people on here and I figured out what it is.... Its Atletes finger, Have you ever rubbed your toes with those fingers when they really really itch??? I have and its fungus alright... We have to treat it like atletes foot.
The cure for it is Alkanine water which is acidic water... To make at home just add half a cup of water and the other half vinegar.. The fungus will start to die.. It cures just about everything
I found a product that is excellent in fixing cracked fingers, skin, etc....  It is called LipoHydroDerm, I found it in my local pharmacy; they have a website as well that I have ordered it from.  It has been the only thing that works for me long term.
I have struggled with the thickening of skin on my fingers and it has progressed over time. It began on my left thumb, then right pinky. Then right middle finger, right index finger, left middle finger, left index finger, and finally left pinky. The only 2 fingers unaffected are my ring fingers. I have seen a multitude of dermatologists and have tried steroid creams. Nothing seems to help. I have not met anyone else that has this condition and many doctors look at my fingers like they have never seen anything like it before. I am open to any suggestions or anyone who has found a physician to treat this condition effectively. The cracking, peeling, and bleeding is painful and I am desperate for any answers.
I have the same problems.. Its been almost 5 months now. At first it was just my thumb and middle finger, and now has spread to all my fingers and it then started changing the color of my fingernails..they are now an orange/pinkish color and I can hardly see the white moons of the nail.
My symptoms are..Tingling/numbness as it starts building up the skin layers, then it starts cracking and bleeding, next day starts peeling..and then just starts all over again..So I peel every 2 or 3 days. I also get little tiny clear liquid filled blisters, they itch like crazy. I only have this on my palms, and all around my fingertips.
I have been to a Dermotologist he said it was dishydrotic eczema.. but I didn't think he was right, He didn't do any tests either. He gave me a prescription for Elidel and it never helped at all.
I went to family dr. a couple weeks ago.. and was told she thought it was a fungus or bacteria and she precribed me Fluconazole.. She said I needed to take this for the next 4 months...The only thing different i see so far (and granted its only been 2 weeks) is that the skin isnt getting as thick as it was before peeling..
Another update..OK so the flucanazole didnt quite do the trick..so went to yet another Dr He prescribed me a zema pack (steroid dexamethasone) and Fluocinonide and within 3 days..its gone.. Dr said he does believe it was dishydrotic eczema. My fingernails still look discolored,,but my skin is perfect again !!!
This was a horrible few months and I'm hoping it doesnt come back !!!
my problem is same i am 32 years old, it started  5 years ago, never stopped... It started as a little patch on the point and thumb fingers.  Now it's on both hands thumbs, middle fingers, small fingers, even on right palm i have one.. it starts like hard skin for about 10 days, then starts to peel and cracks, its like dead skin, new skin that comes is never again recovered healthy skin, its at the start red and harden, and new skin starts again to dry and peel over and over again.. so whole proces is about 2-3 month.. some of it recover but after 2-3 month starts all over again... i have no itching problem.. it is allways on same spots, some are gone, but new have arrived... been to 3 derm doctors, tryed tones of creams, none helped...

I seem to have the same problem with the dry skin on my pointer finger which ends up looking calloused and starts itching and then cracking then will start to split at parts. It started as a little patch on the side of my pointer  facing the thumb in the middle between BOTH bends on the finger and has now spread to the bottom of my finger and going towards the tip crossing the bend in the tip of it. I have tried athlete's foot cream thinking it was a fungus so Mariachi007 I will say mine isn't Athlete's Finger. I saw the solution for vinegar and water and will try that one. It's irritating and it looks like I have some sort of disease so it's embarrassing. If anyone knows of this problem for sure and has a for sure solution, please help.
I too have had this for the past 3-5 years.  My dermatologist first gave me a steroid shot and all my fingers healed within days.  This only lasted a couple of weeks.  My wife did some Internet searching and found some possible causes related to stomach issues and digestion.  I began taking 5 Jarro-Dophilus EPS tablets a day and within a few weeks my hands cleared up and stayed healthy.  I tried to stop taking it after about 8 months and it came back, so I went back to taking 5 a day.  After a year or so I tried stopping again and it didn't return.  Well fast forward another year or two and it's back, tried the Jarro again for about a month and it won't go away now.

A family friend and naturopathic doctor believes it's related to a wheat or gluten allergy.  She claims that stomach issues and allergies like these manifest themselves at the bodies extremities like hands and feet.  I am going to go through a series of allergy tests with her soon to see if I can narrow down what's causing it.

In the mean time my solutions for dealing with it are:

- file down the callused skin on my fingertips (sometimes really painful when there are fissures) with a fine grade emery board
- apply antibiotic ointment and cover with rubber gloves (easiest), finger cots (rubber covers, kind of like condoms) or band aids
- moisturize with Eucerin Dry Skin Therapy Plus Intensive Repair Enriched Lotion (has no odor and works better than others I've tried) when not wearing gloves

Thanks for all your posts.  I'll be watching this page and will post again if and when I find anything new to share.
I've had chapped fingers and thumbs for a couple years.  Now I have a place on my right palm with the thick, red skin and a cut fisure running across it.  I've been using Lamaze Rejuvenation Cream.  It's the stuff for getting rid of stretch marks.  It works pretty good and isn't quite so expensive.  I'm going to try the glutin free food.  Might take a while to get good at that.  Good luck, it's nice to know that it isn't just me!
Hi Kelly that is very helpful, thanks. I think mine is also related to digestive issues somehow. Will look into allergy testing.
Sue
my right thumb tip is red, swollen, cracked and so sore at the tip that i cannot take it anymore. The thumbnail is also discolored with ridges.This has been going on for along time and is getting worse. Any suggestions?
I have the same condition. I'm a 64 year old male, and this condition has been popping up every year.

I've gone to a hand doctor and a dermatologist, who prescribed a special ointment for it, but it didn't cure it.

After trying lotions, antibiotic ointment and bandaids, I think I may have hit on a cure: hydrogen peroxide solution.

It has taken away the pain and the bleeding, and the skin has healed.

If I see it crop up again, I'll just drip some hydrogen peroxide on the "wound" watch it bubble up, which tells me it's working, and let it air dry.

This seems to get deep into the lesion and kill whatever bad things are living in there and which prevent it from closing up and healing.

I hope I'm correct and the $1.69 bottle of hydrogen peroxide is a long-term "solution"

mk
bakersfield, california
my hands are in a dreadful state and  have see doctors who have pescribed steroid cream oral  steroid elocon  gels everything all they seem to do is make it worse , then i saw what you wrote ,
before this happend i went on a diet and cut out bread and went on protein shakes  and then came off as i couldnt stick the shakes  and then i eat noramly bread ect , anf then my hand blistered and just got worse , so tomorrow im going back on to the shakes and cutting out bread , to see it it cutting gluten out helps ,  will let you all know as this is getting me down big time i find even the simplest task hard and the only relief i get is to wear plastic gloves , so here is hoping ,
Anyone have this on feet too?   This really is distressing.   Think about it all the time 'cause fingers and foot sting all day.   Hands...everyone sees so you look like you're sick.   I cover with bandaids all the time.   Really depressed as it seems like nothing helps!   Going to try some of the recommendations even though.
well i tried the gluten diet and it has been 4 days and my hands have healed and no new cuts or blisters also my skin is less dry and my heels and no longer itchy and dry , and another good side effect my son , he's on the diet as well due to not making 2 lots of food he is calmer and 'nicer'  so we are both staying on the gluten free diet as it seems to agree with me , now awaiting a docs  appt to confirm as a lot of gluten product are available on nhs

When I started working as a housekeeper and my hands were exposed to the chemicals we use in our job, then my thumb began to crack near the nail and it is very painful.  Also, I am not the only person who has experienced, with my co worker, she notices that if she has three days off, the condition will heal, but we don't get three days off anymore, nowadays we are lucky to get one day off.
This has happened before but usually there is an erratant involved such as wearing rubber gloves or exposure to unnatural elements.  Any ideas would really help.  
A year ago, I had this same problem. It all started on my index finger & spread to the same of my thumb that would be touching the side of my index finger. I had it for at least a couple of years. Appeared slowly sorta hard, cracked, dry skin. It would hurt sometimes because the crack would go so deep to the healthy tissue underneath. I would take a cuticle cutter & remove the "dead-like" skin but it kept growing back the same. Like all of u I tried most OTC treatments including wart remover, my mom said to soak in bleach but I could never stand that & none would work, until....

I had to stay in a hotel for almost a month for my husbands job out of town & they had an indoor pool. I went swimming for about at least 5 days in a row for at least an hour everyday.

Finally, I noticed it started to clear up & now I am pain free with regular healthy looking fingers. We all know that public pools use a lot of chlorine so maybe you should give chlorine a try. If u have a pool amp up the chlorine more or even try soaking it with some. But I do believe that the length of time I spent in the pool made all of the difference. It may have been a different chemical in the pool but I truly don't think so. It doesn't hurt to try.
PS, I didn't have to do anything afterwards. It just started to clear up by itself. I started to notice it as we were staying in the hotel
WoW! Am glad and sorry to see all these posts. I am 46 and have had this problem for the last at least 15 years. I get it once sometimes twice a year. I have it now. I didnt know i wasnt alone. Ive tried all the lotions and as you know they dont work. Mine usually just goes away on its own after about 6-8 weeks of suffering. Im gonna try the chlorine and then the vinegar. Hang in there all, you are not alone. Good luck!
I have used the CereVe Lotion and it doesn't help. You have to watch for any lotions containing SLS (Sodium Laureth Sulfate) Also hair products. It dries out the skin even more, making matters worse. I stopped using anything with SLS in it and it seemed to heal up a little bit. My fingers are so swollen and infected that i don't know what will help at this point. I am going to try the water and vinegar mixture tonight. I already sleep with gloves on with Neosporin to try and keep the skin hydrated.  I guess we will see if the vinegar helps.
this makes no sense. Alkaline water is basic not acidic. Further,  acidic solutions such as acetic acid (vinegar) may work on certian bacterial infections( For example, pseudomonas may  be found in  nail infections such as paronychias) but should have very minimal or no effect on fungal conditions.
Update: I had some tests done and found that I'm allergic to a lot of the foods I've been eating most of my life.  I was also told that my supplement levels were low but need a more detailed test to pinpoint exactly which ones.  For grins I started taking a simple one-a-day multivitamin (from WalMart) and it has helped.  My fingertips are still dry but not are not cracking open or bleeding.  They also feel a lot less susceptible to damage from daily activities than they used to.

I'm scheduled for more tests and will share any successful findings asap.
I may have finally cured my finger-thumb and heal cracking with a combo of a children's calendula in Almond oil by Welweda, which I apply several times a day; and a Skinbiotics tratment creme by dermae, which contains tea tree oil and Oregono oil. All these things are anti fungal. I've suffered this problem at least 8 years. I use sports tape (for boxers and hockey players) to tape up open cracks so they heal over the couse of a day or two. Then start in on the creme and oil.
Of course it is a skin fungus, but stress, soap, and other toxic things must disrupt the normal combo of human skin oil and benign skin inhabiting organisms.
I had moderate success with vinegar soaks, but my wife hates the smell. Also it started on my finger after teaching all day with Chalky hands. Small raised bumps formed on my finger and thumb; skin itched, became thick and scaly; then prone to cracking. Gardening makes it bad too.
I have it too on the middle knuckle of the thumb of my right hand.  I have had it about a year now.  I tried vinegar, but it didn't work.  I went to the doctor, and she said it looked like some sort of fungus, since it was red, cracked and itched and burned.  I have tried two different antifungal creams:  one that contains Zinc Undecklenate and Undecylenic acid and one that contains Terbinafine hydrochloride and neither one has helped at all.  I put triple anti-biotic ointment and a bandage on it at night.  If I keep it covered it eventually clears up, but after I leave it uncovered it dries out and cracks again.
I have recently been using Utterly Smooth utter cream lotion and so far that has been the most effective.  I have to use it 3-4 times a day.  Yesterday it was almost completely healed, but I forgot to apply the utter cream for half of the day and it began to crack again.  .  I’m beginning to think it is a bacterial infection of some sort, and the triple antibiotic ointment just isn’t strong enough to cure it.
So, I’ll keep using the utter cream, but if it doesn’t heal up by March then I will probably try to get back into the doctor and have her send a sample to the lab for testing.
Try a combination of hydrocortizone cream and Utterly Smooth utter cream lotion.  I can't guarantee it will heal it, but that combo. has given me some much needed relief.  
I have had a problem with my hands for over two years, 3 dermotologist, 1 allergy specialist and I still have it.  They all told me it was eczema.  I bought  some stuff online called "serena skin"  and it completely cleared it up and then I stopped using it and it came back.  When I tried the serena skin again, it didn't work.  I truely believe this is somethng to do with the auto immune system.  I just with I could find a doctor that would test the skin or do a blood test or something besides look at it and say "yep it's eczema try this $100 cream and come back in 6 weeks"
I have the same problem on fingers for about a year and just recently experienced a clack in dry skin on my foot.  Have been applying vinegar (thinking I was treating a fungus), allowing to dry then slathering on "Utterly Smooth" skin cream.  This has helped, but I still get occasional cracks.  Going to add a topical cortisone cream as several posts have indicated that it helped. Still experimenting and will post results.
I still have the dry, rough skin on top of the knuckle of my thumb, but the Utter Cream does really help.  If it isn't healed within another few months, I will ask my doctor to send a skin sample to a lab to see if they can determine what it actually is.  I am really surprised that no one's doctor or dermatologist has tested a skin sample yet???  That would determine what type of funguis it is if it really was a fungus.
I suffer from the same condition. The medication I take cause extremely dry skin. I have let my nails grow out it seems to help. If I do get a crack I seal it with super glue and it sure does help with the pain. I can at least use my hands as before I could not stand the pain. Amazing how much a small crack can hurt. I hope this helps
Yep, death by a thousand cuts is how this can feel...

I am convinced for me personally that my issues are coming from inside my body, not an external source.  The one-a-day multivitamin has reduced 95% of my symptoms and eliminated the cracking and bleeding.  My fingertips are still a little drier than normal but filing that little bit away with a nail file and moisturizing covers that 5% pretty well.

I still need to follow-up with my naturopath but am confident that when I find out what vitamin, mineral or supplement I am deficient in and can target, I'll be cured.

Has anyone else tried a multi?
I see I'm not alone with this problem.  I've had this peeling, dry, cracked, flaky thumb and index finger for about a year, on and off.  When it first started, I attributed the cause to a cholesterol medication I was taking, Livalo.  It's a statin drug, which statins in general are pretty harsh and carry several types of side effects. I stopped taking it and my thumb/index fingers cleared up. I was good for quite some time, but now has returned.  I've been to a dermatologist once for this, he gave me a an emollient foam, that hasn't helped.  I've tried cutting off of dead skin, lightly taking a nail file to the surface, and lastly antibiotic cream, and wrapping my fingers.  It helps, but this is no real solution.  I'm going to try the Lipohydroderm.  The website photos look similar to my condition.  I'll keep posted if it works or not for me.  
Follow Up:  I tried the Lipohydroderm, with no improvement.  I also tried Lotrimin, an antifungal cream.  No positive reaction.  I'm back to using an antibiotic cream and band-aids in my fingers.  I just find this condition so bizarre.  No one seems to have a cure.  I'm going to keep trying, and post results.
MINE'S HEALED!!! (so far)  I think persistence is the key.  I kept using the Hydrocortisone Cream and Udderly Smooth® Udder Cream 2-3 times per day, and after three months, two tubes of Hydrocortisone Cream and a jar and a half of Udder Cream later, it is finally healed up with no reoccurrence.  
Mine’s healed…so far.  I think persistence is the key.  I kept using the Hydrocortisone Cream and Udderly Smooth® Udder Cream 2-3 times per day, and after three months, two tubes of Hydrocortisone Cream and a jar and a half of Udder Cream later, it is finally healed up with no reoccurrence.
I had dry and cracked skin on my fingers. My doctor recommended Zinc- 2 X per day, (15mg 1 tablet) not longer than 30 days!  Zinc is required for Vitamin A which is responsible among for our skin condition. After 2 weeks my fingers are healed.
Mine is just like yours! Only happens about twice a year (when air pressure changes). Thanks for the encouragement! I will also try a few of these things!
Not yet, but I'm going to. I am following your posts!
Thanks, you and I are looking for the root cause thereby coming to a solution.
I have moved off of wheats hoping that was the problem....the painful cracked skin around the thumb as come back and on the other thumb!
I will be scrutinizing my diet, like will I have to stop my caffeine intake....
It's not a fungus!  

I was on terbinafine (generic lamisil) orally, 250 mg, for five months to clear up nail fungal infection on my left foot after showering at the house of someone with it.  Which it did.  My fingers got WORSE, not better, while on a long-term systemic antifungal although I do not attribute it as the culprit for the worsening.  

It "spread" from my right index finger where it'd been hanging out for four years to the other three digits and thumb as well as the inside of the same wrist in a matter of days this past spring and has been trying to take hold on the left index and middle finger as well ever since.  I attribute it to a screwed up thyroid I'm still in the ramping up of medication for and possibly (likely) an inappropriate immune response as well.
I am 14 on the tip of my thumb i have thick hard skin it is very dry and saw it has not bled but there ar patches with lots off skin missing, i did have it on my index finger but that has vleared up! I have had this for a month now ehat is it?
I've had this peeling cracking dry skin on my thumbs and index fingers of both hands for about a year. It was an endless cycle of healing and cracking again over and over. It is finally healed now. I used thin layer of mometasone cream at night for about 10 days. During the day Vaseline and A&D vitamins cream. I also started taking orally Vitamins D, C, and minerals combo of Magnesium, Zinc, Calcium. I excluded gluten from my diet and GMO food, trying to eat more organic food.
I had the exact same problem for 20 years: tried everything but could not find a solution until...........
I stopped eating EGGS. Problem went away within a day or two, and stayed away!! I've rediscovered what it feels like to have dexterity.