dry patch on lip

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

dry patch on lip

hi, i have a dry patch on the top of my lip. it started off about 2 months ago as a small discolored dot, then progressed into a darker patch bigger patch (<1cm wide). Now, it looks dry and and slightly flaky, and feels weird when i touch it with my tongue, but i can't really pick at the dry skin. it also feels sort of heavy, not numb or slightly tingling (not like pins and needles) but like i can feel something there. also when i stretch the skin i can see white spots behind it.
what is it, and what can i do to treat it, tried moisturizing with Vaseline constantly, but doesn't help. Could this be a sign of lip cancer?

any advice would help. thanks.
hi, i have a similar lip skin patch, have had it for about a week.  did you ever find out what was going on with yours? did it resolve on its own?
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Just a few questions surrounding the onset of the patch:

How old are you?

Are you male or female?

Are you sexually active?

Have you eaten something lately like a fruit or vegetable?

Are you a smoker?

Have you any nasal discharge or flu like symptoms recently?

Pls do not manipulate the lesion and it is best not to touch it frequently.Wash your hands when doing so. Some infections caused by streptoccocus or staphyloccus may present as crusty lesions in the area surrounding the lip or nose. A hypersensitivity reaction to something that you ate may also cause some lesions to appear near the mouth.

Have a consult done with a dermatologist for a proper evaluation.Keep us posted.
Thank you for the prompt reply.  I'm a married 40-year-old female, sexually active (monogamous), non-smoker.  I've eaten many fruits and vegetables lately, kohlrabi, rapini, and shiitake mushrooms being the most exotic, but nothing new in my diet that I recall.  Today I had a very mild sore throat / hoarse voice; for the past week or so I have had sporadic runny nose / sneezing (bouts last about a half hour, much like allergic reaction) and my right tonsil has been a bit sore and firm.  I am breastfeeding and my baby likes to touch my lips while nursing.  Sometimes baby has a rough or jagged fingernail; I think baby may have irritated my skin and maybe introduced an infection.  My sleeping is irregular but I usually get at least 6 hours per night.

It's difficult not to touch the sore area, for instance with my tongue if I lick my lips, as it's directly on my lip, near the inner edge close to my teeth.  The area is about half a centimeter across, feels dry and a bit numb, similar to when I have some dry skin built up, but no dead skin comes off if I rub it, and the skin is thin and tender.  I haven't tried to stretch the skin (as sk00 did).  The color is not unusual.

I'd been thinking I'd leave it for a few days to see if it would shrink.  Would you consider it to be more urgent that I see a dermatologist about this?
hi i have a dry patch on my lip. It dont hurt or anything its just there feels horrible. Hasnt gone away what is it?
I have this too!!!!!!  On my upper left lip.  I thought maybe it was the beginnings of a cold sore (never had one before but diagnosed with hsv1 & 2 so have been waiting for it to happen someday) but nothing is happening.  It's just like a major dry patch and annoying the **** out of me.  I have been putting vaseline on it religiously and although it feels better with the vaseline, it's not going away.  It's not terribly discolored but it's definitely there and annoying and puffy and numbish and dry....WEIRD! HELP?
I just had exactly what you have described, about a month ago. It drove me crazy and I hated the way it felt. I was so aware of it 24/7 and I was so worried it was something serious. I used cold sore lip balm (Herpecine-L) for about a week and thank god it went away. Try it, because if it's NOT a cold sore then the cold sore medicine won't work. At least you'll know what it isn't. Hope you get your answers, I know how annoying it can be! You may want to see a dermatologist if all else fails. Good luck!!!
is herpecin the same general thing as something like abreva?  should i try that??  thanks for the input! :) im definitely gonna take your advice!!
I too have precisely the same thing you describe.  I could have written your post.  It started out as a strip of dry skin on my upper lip, right of center.  It feels like a piece of tape stuck to my lip - unlike anything I'd felt before.  I keep rubbing my lips together.  It is so irritating.  It very gradually spread to a patch and I went to see my doctor.  I was embarrassed because you can't really see much of anything at all.  I felt I was being a hypochondriac, but deep down I was afraid it was a serious virus or cancer.  She was baffled, gave me a script for Valtrex although we both agreed it didn't look or act like a cold sore.  I have a follow up this week and I'm going to ask her for a referral to a dermatologist.  My bio is very much like yours.  Has anyone had any diagnoses or effective treatments?

lm65
Whatever happened with that?  Mine went away after posting this so long ago (and I faithfully applied the Herpecin but am not sure if that was the cure or not??) but is now back!  Its the exact same spot, exact same symptoms - dry skin, raised bumpish, scaly - but that's IT!  No pain, no burning, no itching, NOTHING.  It's so bizarre.  What was the final diagnosis after trying the Valtrex?  Anything?
I just found this site because I'm going crazy wondering about what's wrong with my lips?? First there would be a dry spot on my bottom lip feeling like tape just like someone else said. That was like 5 months ago. It would come go away and come back. Now there are two patches on my top lips also, and as you can guess I'm taking it even more seriously. It worries me it could be something serious, but its also noticeable. I'm medium/dark complected having light pinkish brown lips, and this is starting to turn red on the bottom lip. it doesn't hurt, and I can't really pick any skin off any more. help me please!
i have the same thing and i see a bunch of other ppl do but no answers.... ??? what is it???

also the thing about if you stretch the skin you see small white dots.. i asked my doctor about that he said it's normal.  

idk about this rough patch though it's worrying me!! just noticed it starting yesterday.
i have a couple of dry slightly dark patches on my lips as well. they usually flake off but then reappear. i suspect this may be related to anti depressants. im on avanza 15mg and ive noticed this started when i was put onto this medication. would anyone whom has posted their concerns by chance be also on any anti depressants???
i had the same issue noone had any answers for me either but this is what i tried and it worked..
-take a wet piece of towel paper put salt on it and exfoliate lip
-pat on a little hydrogen peroxide with a q tip or whatever
-put abreva on the area

i avoided touching the area with my fingers tho bc i was scared it was contagious...hope it helps
oh my god that is what is going on with me thats why im looking for help. I went to the doctor he said i cant see any thing but it must be a cold sore. Never had one before so i just took the valtrex and its still there. It feels heavy you just know its there no one can see it but some times is is brown very light if i wear gloss you see nothing. But i can feel it im going to do the salt thing now it is just like that fly at a dinner that just wont go away cause it will go away then its back in a few days is it the change in weather. i dont know and when it heals up it kind of looks like if you pop gum on your lips and a little is still there but no hurting no buring just a little spot. I  hate it.
PUT EVERCLEAR ON IT AND WASH AND RINSE YOUR LIPS ALOT AND APPLY GOOD QUALITY LIP REPAIR OIL AS MUCH AS NEEDED  trust me only thing that will help. The ever clear kills the infection.
I have been fighting similar dry spots on my lips for several years now. No dermatologist has a clue, and no medication given has helped. Normally, by the time I get to my appointment, it's no longer visible so, my doctor got me in when it re-appeared and was able to see the spot. She removed it and sent it to the lab. It came back negative, just as a skin overgrowth. When the spots come back, they look like a small dent on the lip, it feels uncomfortable, and lips are sensitive overall. Now, it re-appeared on a different area. When I apply lip gloss, it looks normal. Does anyone has any idea of what could be causing this? I have stopped wearing lipsticks, or anything that could cause an allergic reaction, but I still get those annoying dry spots. Please, help!
I, too, have a dry patch on my upper lip. It forms layers of dry skin on top and I can use tweezers to pull the dead skin off.  It doesn't hurt but gets sore when I mess with it. I can't stand the way it looks so that's why I have to pull the dead skin off. When I wear lipstick it looks really bad. It's like the lipstick runs. I haven't ever had anything like this. Reading all of your postings makes me realize that this may be more common than I thought. I've had this for about 6 months now. I thought maybe it was scar tissue from past fever blisters/cold sores? I haven't had one in years though. It kinda scares me.
I developed the dry patches on my upper lip shortly after delivering my fifth child several weeks ago, and am pretty sure it is related to an overgrowth of yeast, also called candida.  I have cut out as much sugar as possible from my diet and have been applying tea tree essential oil and tea tree lip balm for the last several days, and I feel like it is almost gone.  Before that, I tried the essential oil without lowering sugar intake, and it wasn't effective on its own.   Hope this helps some of you that have been dealing with this issue for years. . .
I have the same exact issue - dry spot on top lip - not itchy or painful - just annoying.  Also applying endless lip balm doesn't seem to help.  I've never had it before, and only had it a couple weeks ago and now it's back.
Thank you so much to T14 for your post!!  I think you are right, that makes total sense to me!  I believe mine is also related to an overgrowth of yeast as I have been on antibiotics (which then gave me a yeast infection) a couple weeks ago and am now on antibiotics again as my initial infection reocurred.  The dry spot coincides with the antibiotic treatment.  I have bought capsule form probiotics and will be taking them, but will also try cutting down my sugar and the tea tea oil.  Thanks for the info and the suggestions!!
Wow- I went hunting today to try to figure out what is causing this dry, rough patch on my upper lip! Imagine my surprise when I found so many others who are equally clueless as to the cause. Anyway, I just finished a 14-day kidney/colon clense, and it popped up. I thought it was a cold sore and tried Valtrex, but of no avail. Maybe the everclear suggestion will work???
The internet is a wonderful thing. I have the same dry patch on my upper lip. It's been there for a few weeks and fits the same description - not painful/itchy/burning, but annoying, sometimes cracked/flaky and interfering with my lipliner. Unfortunately, no one who posted on this site and found a cause or solution has come back to share it. But I do think there could be an antibiotic connection. I have been on three courses of antibiotics since December (laryngitis and a spider bite) and although I haven't had any stomach troubles or yeast infections, it sounds like this could be a side effect. I also started a vegan diet 11 days ago, so maybe my body chemistry is just freaking out. If I do find a cause or solution, I'll come back and let you know!
This is a follow-up to my post on 4/17/10. I use a product called Dermal-K. It's a moisturizing cream with Vitamin K that's labeled for skin blemishes, scars, etc. but I use it as a daily moisturizer because I have a bit of rosacia on my cheeks. I've been using it for a year and my skin has never looked better. It occurred to me the other day to try a little bit on the dry patch on my lip twice a day. In just a few days, there has been a HUGE improvement. The dry patch is almost gone! Dermal-K is kinda pricey (about $40 for a 4oz jar) so I'm not sure it makes sense to get it just for the occasional dry patch, but I told you I would come back and let you know if I found something that works. (Since I mentioned a particular product in my post, I feel like it's important to say that I am in no way affiliated with any company that makes or sells Dermal-K, nor do I have any financial benefit if someone purchases it. I just like the product.) You can find Dermal-K online by searching the name in Google. Looks like there is a 2oz jar that is cheaper (around $20) so maybe that would be worth purchasing, especially if you have a special event coming up and you want your lipstick to look right!
hi, thanks for all your replies, its nice to know i wasn't the only one.

I not quite sure what it was, but it no longer bothers me and i don't even notice it anymore. I don't have a dark patch there anymore, but the white spots underneath are still there, and there also on the other side.

To help I used  blistex relief cream which made it better and have been using blistex lip conditoner since then (small tub) its improved as i don't allow my lips to dry out.

I haven't gone to see a doctor about it, as the lip creams did the job. It's been 3 years (roughly) since my last post and it hasn't got worse, actually improved. I think it was just a case of dried lips, and an irritating patch.

to reply to a previous post, im female, 22 yrs old now, and i am positive it wasn't sexually related.

My advice on how to resolve, if you have what i had, don't worry! Try using a really good lip balm, i used blistex, but have heard that carmex is good too. Don't go for the cheap chapstick kinds. In my experience my lips appear healthier, pinkier and fuller. Don't go overboard on price, ones that you can in a drugstore should do. (I've also tried expensive brands like clinique, they were useless) Vaseline (petroleum jelly) didnt help much, it was really the blistex relief cream that helped the most (although it left white residue on lips after, not nice!) and then use a really lip conditioner. If this doesn't work then go see a doctor if your still worried.

I found a dry spot on my lip 3 weeks ago after being diagnosed with a yeast infection.  Not sure if it's a side effect from that (I was sexually active when I was unaware of the yeast infection), or a side effect from the flucanazole (oral yeast infection treatment). It doesn't hurt, but it definitely feels like I have a piece of tape stuck to my lip.  It peels.  The skin is thin.  My lip is starting to develop a wrinkle in the spot.  It's red, and when I have lip gloss on, it is not visible to the naked eye.  I'm going to try exfoliating with salt and then using hydrogen peroxide and Abreva, but I do not think it is a cold sore.  I'm going to the doctor today and will post again when they find out what it is.  So glad to know I'm not the only one.
I went to the doctor and he said this was herpes 1.  the tightness and peeling and redness is a dead giveaway.  I told him it didn't hurt and he wasn't surprised.  He said that if I didn't use Abreva right away, it could blister and that I was lucky it did not.  If you have this dry spot on your lip that feels like a piece of tape is stuck to it, go to your local drugstore right away and get some Abreva.  Good luck.
I had the exact same thing, started as a rough dry patch on the lip and flaked dry skin.  The area felt numb.  I went to the dermatologist abd she told me its a precursor to skin cancer and burned it off with liquid nitrogen.  I am still waiting for it to heal so I will post the results.
Same exact problem.  Mine was burned off with liquid nitrogen by the dermatologist after determining it was a precusor for skin cancer.  I will post how it heals.
Thanks for your information. I have the same thing on my lip. Lower right lip. Invisible to the eye. Feels like a piece of tape on my lip. It scales from time to time and it is hard to not touch it. I feel as if there is a little bit of swelling along the interior lip line too.
I know that this is not a cold sore - there is no burning or itching, no redness and no pustules. Yeast is a chronic problem for me and I have been traveling and eating an unusually high amount of sugar. I am going to
:decrease my sugar in my diet,
:stop wine,
:lower yeast related products, and
: take a probiotic. I will let you know if I see any improvement

If I do not see an improvement in a week I will go to my dentist for starters.

Thanks for your input.
Am I ever glad I found this forum.  I have exactly what you are all describing for about a month now.  I started to get worried today so I made an appointment  with my dermatologist for next week.  In the meantime I am faced with a red, scaly patch that peels slightly and feels like there is tape on it.  No pain, tingles sometimes, sometimes a sensation like numbness.  The pre-cancerous part scares me.  I am wondering if I can burn it off myself with compound W liquid nitrogen that has been introduced recently to the drug stores.  NO I don't work for compound W, but I am finding that I am getting a little creative after reading this thread.
Wow -- like all of you .... Thank goodness I'm not the only one .... same thing --- upper left lip ... feels like a piece of tape stuck to my lip - annoying.  Went away for what seemed like a couple of days and then was back and now it's been another 2-3 weeks.  BUT, I also had been dieting and using supplements and cleansing products which I have since stopped taking. I wonder if those had something to do with it.  Can't keep enough lip salve on it and can't stop messin' with it by biting or picking at it.  SOOO annoying.  Hoping it goes away now that I've stopped taking the diet pills.  Will try tea tree oil as well.
For about a week and a half I've had this spot on my upper lip, halfway between the corner of my mouth and the center. It feels like the area is chapped. Its raised a little, but not painful. A smidge tingly... nobody has noticed it except for when I point it out. This has happened about 2-3 times. It eventually goes away but I have no clue what it is. I've taken lysine but nothing happens. I also apply chapstick and it keeps my lips moisturized, but again the spot is still there. I was diagnosed with hsv2 (genital only) about 10yrs ago. I'm in complete denial this is herpes on my lip. Everything I've read about cold sores or herpes on the lip sounds extremely painful. I don't have any of those symptoms.... its all very strange.
I too have the same thing and have been fighting it for about three months!  I have a dry, rough patch on the right side of my top lip and dry, rough patch on the left side of my bottom lip.  It feels a little like sand paper when I rub my lips together.  I went the the doctor and she told me fever blister, but I've had those before and I KNOW it's not and it doesn't hurt or ooze.  I then went to a dermatologist and he said it was dermatitis and gave me a mild steriod ointment, which hasn't worked.  I called him back and he is baffled now.  He suggest I go into the office and do a patch test b/c he thinks it's an allergy to something, but not to any kind food.  He said the lips are the most sensative part of the body and it must be something I'm coming in contact with directly, but I haven't changed anything in my daily routine.  I've been taking benedryl at night and zertek during the day.  He also recommended to ONLY use vaseline on your lips b/c it's fragrence free and natural.  Nothing has helped though.  I also have been sneezing a LOT more than normal.  I used to sneeze twice when I sneezed, now I sneeze about 10 times when I sneeze and it's a lot more often than normal.  I've had a few sore spots in each nostril as well.  I've also had a lot more nasil activity than normal (watery, sneezing, boogers, etc).  I am nursing a baby and my diet isn't the best it has been in the past so I started taking a vitamin thinking it was a deficiency and that doesn't work either.  I think I'll get the patch test done.  
I've had this same thing happen on and off for 6 or 7 years now.  The first time it occurred, it affected my entire lower lip and the area below it, approaching my chin.  It was horrifying.  My skin was just peeling off in very thin layers and it seemed like it didn't have, I dunno, structural integrity or something.  It was like pulling apart wet toilet paper or something.  It's like I was falling apart.  It felt strange when I'd touch the area , like there was plastic wrap over my skin.  I could feel the sensation of being touched, but not as well as on other skin.  Like the difference between your arm being touched through your shirt and your bare arm being touched.  I went to a dermatologist and she gave me Pramosone 2.5% ointment and that seemed to help after what felt like an eternity.

Since then it pops up every few months, usually as a spot in the middle of my bottom lip or just off to the side.  It has a deadened sensation and is almost like a plate or a scale or something.  Moisturizers don't help.  If I stretch my lip (like you would if you were smiling reeeally wide) and look closely I can see teeny tiny bumps.  I don't know what these are.

I work at a doctor's office and a couple of the docs have diagnosed it as cheilitis.  This seems to fit after having read the various online descriptions.  A Google image search will provide rather arresting photos.

I've been given Nystatin & Triamcinolone Acetonide cream (anti-yeast) and Betamethasone Dipropionate ointment (corticosteroid) and am not really very impressed with the results.  I bust these out and use them when I'm having a flare-up (is that what you'd call it?), but I usually end up just picking at it and tormenting it until it heals on its own, usually in a month or so.

I don't know what causes this for me and I know that no one but me can see it, but it feels so obvious.  And it looks weird with lipstick on top of it, like I've applied lipstick to a dry, rough surface like particle board or something.  Ugh.

Ask your doc if he or she thinks it's cheilitis and see what they think.  Good luck, folks!
I've been having the same problem to my lower left lip for months. It started like a splinter-like feel when I rub my tongue across it. Painless, non-burning. I picked at it until I was able to pick it off. Now it is a size of a raisin. It's very dry, tight and flaky. Very annoying. I've tried all kinds of lip balms, include carmex (which made it burn). I saw my doctor and was given a steroidal cream, which didn't help....I'm having trouble kissing because of being so self-cautious of it. I think I might try abreva as metioned above... I'm glad I'm not alone...
I had same thing, it started with only one dry patch on my top lip nothing was working and then it spread to my lower lip. My sister advised me to use cream for thrush and after just a few days of using the cream it went away. If you use thrush cream (any available in boots or other pharmacies they are all the same) and your dry patch goes away it means that you have Candidiasis (overgrow of candida in your gut), try cutting all sweet, sugary foods from your diet and even try to use something that kills overgrow of candida. Try:
http://www.mandimart.co.uk/biobotanical-research-advanced-biocidin-1oz-new-lower-price-save-200-223-p.***
or
http://www.mandimart.co.uk/cdx-by-thermedix-42-capsules-scd-legal-432-p.asp
For more info on Candidiasis please go to:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candidiasis
Good luck.
After taking antibiotics I had sore gums and an ulcer inside my bottom lip, I have had this before and it has cleared up quickly with Daktarin oral gel. This time also had a dry circular area on the outside of my lower lip. I just assumed it would go away but 4weeks later it had peeled a few times but was still there. After reading the posts on this site I was looking for something to try and thought about the Daktarin. Checking on Wikipedia it contains Miconazole which is for thrush and cheillitis which ties in with the other posts. Being an oral gel it OK on the lips. Initally the area plumped up and within a day showed signs of being better, I kept stretching out the lip to make sure. On the first day I put it on six or seven times. Don't stop too soon use it about three times a day for another three days and it should be gone. It is too early to say if it has gone for good.
One week on is it better? It looks a lot better but the area is still slightly dry. I think continuing to use Daktarin will make the lip sore and possibly crack. I will leave it for a few weeks and see what happens.
I'm so glad I found this site! After reading and re-reading everyone's comments about this mysterious and bothersome dry spot (which everyone described to a T -- piece of tape, somewhat numb feeling, not that noticeable when moisturized, etc -- I decided to try the more natural approach first: on dry unmoisturized lip I put Tea Tree oil the spot, let it soak in, then applied Carmex. Repeated this process 3-4 more times throughout the day. It ended up drying getting better where I could pick off the layer of skin and keep moisturizing until it got better. I'm not yet 100%, but probably 90%, just a little bit of darker red than the rest of my lips.  I've stopped the Tea Tree and just Carmexing like a mad woman, but even when not moisturizing it still looks and feels a TON better.

P.S. Something I noticed lots had in common was either being on antibiotics which I was on within a month of the dry spot ocurring and also within the month I had tried a "pre-diet cleanse" from GNC...I'm no doctor, but I think one, especially both, could effect your yeast levels (like mentioned above) and maybe that's what caused this?!?! I'm just glad it's going away! Good luck!
I have this right now ...tape like feeling on my upper lip, right side.  I woke up Thursday morning to a very inflammed lip, it looked like collegean was injected in my upper lip.  And today (Saturday) its very red and dry.  I have been using vasoline and just read to dab it wil vinegar as the acid kills any virus there.  After reading all these posts, i came to a conclusion that it is NOT a cold sore thank god, but its because i had taken this pill Diflucan (for yeast infections, but also helps with Ringworm) and i took this Wednesday morning.  Come to wake up Thursday and BAM my lip is like this.  I just counter acted it by taking whats called Acidophilus- also knowen as what i call the "yogurt pill" .. Its a probiotic pill.  So i am hoping this will help with the rednes and the reaction.  Will post more later
Well I'm another person that is having to deal with this horrible dry, numb reddish patch thing on my upper lip. Mine started small and now it covers most the upper lip, its been 5 days now. I am not taking any new medication or have eating any new food. But I did want to say that I have been taking probiotics (acidophilus) since October, so for about four months. I started then because of a yeast infection and years of irritable bowel. The probiotics have been doing miracles for my digestion but it didn't prevent me from getting this thing on my lip. It doesn't seem to be getting better I can't wait for it to go away, its constantly on my mind.
Hey, do you guys use reusable water bottles? I finally figured out my dry patch was being caused by my Sigg water bottle. I gave the bottle a good cleaning and hit my dry spot w/ some neosporin and the dry patch went away.
I had what started as a white dry patch on my lower lip. I showed it to MDs at my job and they said it was nothing alarming. One of them suggested it was a cold sore. I promptly bought Abreva about a day after it popped up. It went away after a week, but returned. It has been almost 5 weeks now and it's still there. Sometimes it appears to be white and flaky and other times its darker and looks like a burn. When I rub my lips together it feels like sand paper and I can feel a tightness and a slight tingle. Im very concerned it may be cancer. Im going to make an appt. with a Dermatologist as soon as I get to work on Monday.
Just an update ....I saw the dermatologist Monday and my dx was Actinic Keratosis. It is pre-malignant and the MD using liquid nitrogen to destroy the cells. My lip is still a bit swollen.

I dont get it though - Im hardly in the sun, besides my yearly vacation in Miami for week, Im not fair skinned, Im under 30 yrs old, and I dont smoke. Guess I'll have to keep an eye on it, hope it doesnt come back.
Hi All,
Glad to know we all can share our experiences of something we all thought as just anoher case of dry lips.Since i am living in India,by any chance would any one know any cream or lip balm available in the country.
It is a fungus, the same type as Athlete's Foot! I have the same thing right now, and I'm 100% sure it's a fungus.  I don't know if it's something in the water where we recently moved, but my husband and I have both started developing fungal infections.  After years of being an athlete, he never once had Athlete's Foot, but recently developed a case of it.  Right around the same time, I developed a patch of it underneath my wedding ring, since I wasn't drying the area well enough after washing my hands.  It had the same appearance as his feet:  red, scaly, and clearly a fungal infection.  Now unfortunately, it's on my lip too.  I thought it was just a "patch of dry skin" at first, but that wouldn't last so long.  I began applying apple cider vinegar to it yesterday and today, and I'm really hoping it will help.  I can tell it's "working" because it burns like crazy, and leaves my lip looking "scabbed" and swollen.  If I apply some to a non-affected part of my lip, no reaction.  So it must be fighting the fungus.  All these different areas of our bodies were affected within the same month, and so I'm confident that it's the same infection just on different parts.  I know that even after it "looks" like the infection is gone, you MUST continue to treat the area to kill off all the fungus "spores" or else the infection will just redevelop.  I hope this helped, and am hoping the apple cider vinegar will be a worthwhile treatment...
Wow this is crazy!  I've been dealing with this problem for nearly 20 years and thought I was alone!
Mine started back when I was 13 or 14 and I always attributed it to a Revlon Lip Liner I had just started using.  I stopped using it and went to a doctor, he had no idea but told me to try carmex-it did NOTHING.
I never had cold sores ever and I know that's not what this is.
Mine sounds just like so many of yours!
It's mainly on my upper left lip and sometimes on my bottom lip as well.
My lips are pale pink but the spot is light red and when I stretch the skin I can see the teeny little raised areas, kind of like little bumps.  It flakes badly sometimes and I can get a little relief when I peel the skin off when it's doing that and then saturating my lips in a moisturizing balm.  I keep good natural moisturizing balms on them all the time but nothing helps.
It flares up sometimes worse than others.
It feels strange, numb like, and feels strange when I lick it or touch it with my finger.  It has a little wrinkle there as well.
It definitely interferes with lip liner and lipstick... :\
It doesn't hurt, well sometimes if hot sauce or something gets on it, it kinda stings.
The yeast suggestion is an interesting one... although I wonder why mine started from what seemed like the lip liner about 14 yrs ago?
I may try adding tea tree oil to my lip balms and see if that helps as well as trying to cut back on sweets and taking my anti-candida supplements like: Pau D Arco, Grapefruit Seed Extract, Caprilic Acid, Olive Leaf, Garlic, and Oregano.
Good luck to all of you!  I have lived with this for more than half my life and it's MADDENING I know! :(
Amazing- I've been taking Oregano oil in green tee for an all-body treatment to yeast/fungus infection.  I applied two drops of the oil to the used warm tea bag and held it to my lip for 15 minutes.  It's felt great all day!  I'm going to try doing this 2-3 times a day and see if it clears up.  I'll keep you all 'posted'
Ahhh, this is driving me nuts!
Since I last posted on 3-13 my lips have gotten WORSE! :(
The patch is spreading downwards and over to my right side as well.
I keep it moisturized with good natural stuff but it doesn't matter.
The redness and kind of stingy itching is getting worse and where there are the red spots there are those teeny tiny raised places that you can only really detect when the skin is stretched.
This drives me nuts 24/7!  I've not been able to get it to settle down at all. :(
It's not currently peeling very much at all, just red and irritated, itchy and stingy.
WHAT IS THIS CRAP?!?!?!?!?! :(
i have had the same thing for almost two months now and its almost an inch in length and width. it's on the corner of my lips and i have tried everything to get rid of it. I'm only 15 and my mom refuses to take me to the Dr. does anyone know what this thing is?
I have this too, and it's driving me nuts!

I've had it before once or twice, but then it would just go away by moisturizing it (I would use a face cream since the lip creams just didn't seem to work).

However, this time it doesn't seem to be helping. Also, this time I have it on both my upper and lower lip, on different sides.. The lower one is bigger and can be seen more clearly, and it's spread a bit outside the lip too, and it's like a red circle, which made me think this might be some kind of a yeast/fungal thing. So I guess I'm going to use my yeast medicine on it now to see if it helps.

Oh, and btw, I'm an antibiotics too, but I can't  recall if this started before or after I started taking them.
My similar lip problem went away in a few days after I bought and applied these two products: Medicated Lip Care (Walgreen's) and Blistex Medicated Lip Balm. I kept applying them as needed, i.e, whenever it wore off, so multiple times a day. I tried to keep the lip spot constantly covered. It worked for me, after several weeks of annoying lip itch/peeling/tingly spot.  
Just as you all have mentioned, I thought I was alone. I have the same exact problem now for about 3 weeks now. It developed after a day at the beach. I suspect the pre-cancerous condition as others have stated before me. I intend to make an appt with a dermatologist asap. I'll repost with the outcome of my visit. Thanks for all the info and updates. I'm glad to know I'm not alone. It appears to be far more common than I ever thought.
Wow WHAT DO WE ALL HAVE!?
Small white dots on bottom side of lip with peeling just on the inside.
I have had this occuring off and on the past few years, not having it completely bug me.
Til now, it makes me self conscious as ever. I am a complete different person when this happens.
I have also noticed it tends to happen during the season changes fallish and springish?
Which leads me to thinking it's possibly a cold sore? herpes? !!!????
Only advice i have on it so far, is sip water all day, and eat healthy.
Avoid citric acid and carbonation.
ESPECIALLY AROUND SEASON CHANGES
I have done a little research and can't find a solid answer,
but answers include: lack of nutrition, cold sore, hpv, and herpes.
I actually have seeked out help with this problem from my doctor now, EARLIER TODAY
And now reading all this, i'm getting more nervous than ever thinking of the possibilities.
The doctor took my urine and blood. I will update.
I Know How Crazy This Problem Makes You.
Im 17 years old female, in a monogamous relationship with a male who has never had sex before me. I have braces, and I went to have them tightened with my mum, and she pointed it out. She said it looked like a coldsore but its not where i usually get them. Its in the middle of my upper lip on the right, and it feels rough, and feels funny, and today ive noticed that it is on the left too near the side, kind of like the first one. I havent eaten anything unusual and ive never had it before. I usually get these weird dings in my lips but thats because my lips would rest on my braces. I also get small pimples on the side of my mouth, but they are usually caused my toothpaste. I want to know what is wrong with my lip as its driving me nuts.
I recently had this problem, and have been searching around for an answer. It turned out being Candida (aka Oral Thrush). There are various forms, but essentially, It's a bacterial infection on your mouth. It is known to affect people with low immune system levels, and sugar is the main cause for an "outbreak." Please read these 2 articles. They will help.
http://www.wellsphere.com/complementary-alternative-medicine-article/candida-prevention-treatment-amp-natural-cures/353092
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2146919/clown_lips_cure_candida_lips_exfoliativa.html?cat=70
ISSUE:
I had the same problem majority of you have described. I visited my dermatologist and dentists and they were oblivious. First off, its hard to see. Secondly, it seems like trivial problem. So they geave the regular ******** recommendation and took money from my pocket. But we all know that ugly feel when you slide your tongue over that patchy spot. It feels like masking tape or sandpaper.

But I experimented and found the ultimate solution.

SOLUTION:

Rubbing alcohol first to burn and dry up the fungus/bacteria and then apply NEOSPORIN (over the counter anti-bacterial treatment) instead of lip balm/Chapstick. You can also use neosporin with your chapstick or lip balm if necessary but always use Neosporin. Give it a week and it is gone!!!! Be sure to post back to let us know your result.
Ok SOOO I thought I was losing it when same exact symptoms happened to  lol I laughed at THE previous Comments because it seem like only you guys know the awful irritating feeling I was soo Baffled I even called my boyfriend asking him WTH he been doing asking him do his lips feel funny I took Arabian_Leopard advice i cleaned my lips with alcohol I used neosporin oriment and blistex abs it's seriously going away so far I had it for THREE DAYS SO FAR.... Good Luck! Because this s*** is crazy
Hi, Unlike many who have posted here, I am an older woman and have had this issue for probably 5 years.  It's only about 1/2 inch around, but started with just a couple pieces of skin that peeled. My dentist said it was a fungus so I've tried 3 different fungus medications over the years.  I finally asked my doctor about it 3 months ago.  He actually chuckled about it.  When I showed him the most recent med. I was using, he threw it away! LOL  He also said that I should never mess with it on my own.  I had been using a fine nail file, or plucked the dry skin off with tweezers...if I don't, parts of the skin start to sorta peel up.  I tend to my face every day, moisturizing and then putting make up on.  So I can't just let this skin grow-which is what my doctor asked me to do.  But I am going to try your suggestion first...in fact, I just used both items.  I'll let you know in a few days if I see any change.  Thanks for making that suggestion!
I don't know how incredibly lucky I am to have stumbled on here and found THIS MANY other females with the same exact problem! Now I've had the weird flat spot of numb tight skin on my lip for only two days or so, so I guess I'm not really in panic mode yet about this....but at the same time I am. It's mostly because I(and probably the rest of you too) have NO idea what this really is! I mean I've seen us all bring up STDs and fungi and coldsores, but nothing has been diagnosed right? It's frustrating and weird to think this thing may not just head off on it's own time. I guess it's just going to be learning from trial and error from here on out. I would love to hear back on any successive treatments or what went wrong for the unsuccessful ones. Thanks again for the support.
Try 1% clotrimazole cream (athletes foot/jock itch), over the counter. If your very red and inflamed use 1% cortisone cream, over the counter, until redness is gone, continue with clotrimazone. Prescription Lotrisone is too strong, not to be used on your face.
Cut the sugar. Mae sure you're not iron-deficient. Buy good probiotics, ESPECIALLY if you'r taking or have taken antibiotics, or eat tons of FRESH, not canned, sauerkraut.
You don't want to use cortisone creams/products for too long, it will thin the skin.
Hi - I had this problem, read these comments, and went to the doctor.  They sent me to the dermatologist.  I just went and he knew what it was immediately, and said a fancy word, but then called it "scaling" and wrote me prescriptions for a night cream, and a morning cream and said it would start working immediately and to call him in a week.  I did the night cream last night and the day cream this morning and I've had no peeling, discoloration is down and no itching all day.  Amazing.  Please go to a dermatologist and have him take a look, and mention "Scaling"....  Good Luck!!
Hi, I have had this lip problem for over two months and I have been wondering what the cause might be. I haven't used any medication on it yet but will buy something tomorrow. The trouble is, there are so many different suggestions on this forum that I really do not know which one to try! I am on clotrimazole at the moment for the treatment of a fungal infection on the skin around my mouth area - this was prescribed by my GP. I am also taking amoxycillin antibiotics and I have noticed that the dry patch on my lip has worsened! Infact a little one has started developing on the right side of my upper lip as well!! I  must get help ASAP. I also take a lot of sugary foods - that might be a cause as some members have mentioned. I don't know whether the fungal infection on my skin has anything to do with the dry patch on my upper lip? Anway, reading all these different comments has made me know that I am not alone. I will most likely try Neosporin and see what happens!
Yay. You guys rule. I had this problem and thought it was cancer (isn't that the conclusion we always jump to?) but then I read this forum, bought some 1% Clotrimazole (athlete's foot cream) and applied a thin layer to my lips yesterday morning, last night and this morning. I also bought some tea tree oil and tapped one drop into my Blistex and applied that all day whenever my lips felt dry. I also washed all my reusable water bottles. Anyway, it's been 36 hours, and my symptoms are practically gone. My lip doesn't feel numb or tight for the first time in a month, and all the chapped skin has basically peeled off. I am so happy I found this forum! I haven't even put the Blistex on for about three hours, and I didn't notice. Thank you.
I too had this dry skin patch on my lips for 2 weeks. It was not visible, but I was able to feel it by tongue. I tried many things like 1% hydrocartizone cream , lip balm , oil etc. But after reading all the question n answers , I figured out that its some yeast infection or some kind of infection by water. I cleaned all my water bottles, pitchers etc.
Then applied probiotic yogurt (Indian plain - home style yogurt with probiotics ..Deep brand) for a few minutes and scrubbed, washed with besan (lentil gram)  flour. (Adding a pinch of turmeric powder will kill any infection and gives a smooth skin).  It almost disappeared in one wash. Then applied little almond oil (Joy brand) over my face and lips before going to bed. Now it is totally gone. It costs me less than $10 for the whole thing and now I got a big batch of home made face wash with just besan and curd:)  May be the above home remedies  help people like me.
But if it didn't work out, consult a dermatologist.
I am suffering from peeling lips for 5 years. I have no deficiency of vitamin. Or minrals. I used to lic my lips earlier because of dryness.
Would you please give exact name and composition of day & night cream you used. Please reply.
i am so upset due to my lips.

I am from india and my mail id:  gorakhpur.***@****
Does anyone use teeth whitening strips?  I noticed that after using the Crest 3 D WhiteStrips for 3 days, I noticed two dark patches just popped up.  One on my bottom lip and another on my top lip.  They don't hurt (just ugly), are dry and if I stretch my lips, there is a little white pimple in the core.  My entire lip area has been very dry after using the strips, so I think that these whitestrips may have irritated already sensitive areas.  I have a doctors appointment next week, so I will be sure to bring this up and update everyone.
Ughhhhh iHad The Tape Feeling On My Upper Lip. Itchy a Little. Allergies. Sneezing Like Crap. Chapped/Scaling/Peeling Feeling. Im Soo Freaking Tired Of This. The Itchyness The Sneezing. Ima Try Abreva & Alcohol. Bt If Nt Anyone Else Sneezing/Itchy ? Im Starting To Get Anxiety Frm This. Hit Me On Facebook: ***@**** HELP MEEEE !!!
I have had the same problem.  The pharmacist told me to try Ambesol.  I will see if that works or if she was just blowing me off.  lol. I will let you all know.
The night cream is Desoximetasone 0.25% Ointment, and the morning cream is Clotrimazole-Betamethasone Crm.  The doctor only told me to use it for 7 days.  It was fine when I was using it, but now that I stopped some of the peeling is back....  I do remember him telling me it was "not acceptable" to use it more than he recommended, so I'm scared to use it again, but I may go back to tell him it's starting again...
Good Luck.
AMBESOL WORKED!! Well the Blistex knock-off Kan-ka worked.  Don't put it all over your lips r they will be on fire!! Just dab on the dark spot.  It won't hurt which leads me to believe it is dead skin.  Definitely an infection I think so I think we had just better be mindful of washing our hands after using the bathroom or touching yucky things (or other practices with your mouth).  But the kanka (ambesol) worked after only dabbing it on at night for a few days.  whew!
ok Ambesol worked to get rid of the quirky dry patch on my lips but it came back.  Obviously this is some sort of infection.  Going to see the md.  Will keep ya posted. darn it lol.
Update the brown dry patch peeled off today. I have been vigorously applying tea tree oil to it since day one. I have also tried honey, hydrogen peroxide, pure grain alcohol, diluted bleach, witch hazel you name it...lol Its day 7 today and the brown patch peeled off. I think that this was possibly a fungus. Im almost tempted not to go to the doctor now but am not sure. I will closely watch it for the next day or two and continuously apply the tea tree oil.  If the patch rears it ugly head again i will definitely go to the doctor! Any suggestions are greatly appreciated though... Thanks  
I have a very dry lips and very dry skin around my lips. This was caused due to the A/C constantly being on at work. It never went away no matter how much creams, ointment or petrolium gel I put on. However, after work during the evenings, once I put on the above substence on, my skin seemed to soften a little but during the night it harden up and get all cracky. I was never able to peel it off because it was soo deep into the skin...if u get what I am. I have an asian skin and I had and still have a dark patch above my lips. It friggin looks like a tash!
Anyways, got a new job, and the A/C os hardly ever on. So this was an opportunity to get my skin sorted before the hot weather appears. Use an ointment called Diprosalic. I got it from my doctor as I have eczema. What it does it soothes the skin and softens it. Massage it to the skin making sure u don't get it into ur mouth. Keep adding the ointment onto it until it softens. After it softens, u don't need to massage it, just add the ointment evry time u feel the skin is drying up.This can be used during the day and add make up on top (that's what I did). Also I suggest that after u eat or drink, add a new layer of the ointment. During the night when u sleep, don't add the ointment coz the ointment can absorb into the skin quickly and during the night, ur skin can dry out. Use Vasaline petrolium jelly for this! I know some of u sed it don't work but think about how much u are using! What I did was I DRENCHED my skin with it! I put absolutly loads so that when I woke up in the morning, I still could see and feel the excess vasaline that hasn't absorbed into the skin. My skin had stayed soft over night! Also in mornings and at night before u sleep, wash ur face with luke warm water and put on DOVE DEEP MOSTURISER on ur face including the dry patches. Put on loads and wait till it has been absorbed before adding the ointment or the vaseline.
It may take a few days to see the difference however all this worked for me with in a week. My skin is almost healed and the dark patches are getting lighter day by day. What I also did was peel off any excess skin that was coming off before massaging any of the above.

Hope this helps and please let me know if it works for you!
Oh by the way....when I say drench ur skin with Petroleum Jelly, don't massage it in too much...just add a big fat wallop on it and sleep on your back so I don't get vasaline allover ur covers....
I have a spot that appeared about a month ago on the corner's of my lip,it started out like two or three white dots and spread over night to a good dime size in one night , it's like tons of tiny infected pus pickets that eat away at the skin also on one side the skin on the inside of the mouth is turning white and peeling off when I lightly wash it. Or rub it with water it's really embarassing and humbling ..
When I was incarcerated in f correctional I got a sinus infection in
The tip of my nose but the treatment meant iv and I did anti biodics twice every12 hours And it cleared up but a week later it came back, now it comes back and goes frequently once A month, when I was realeased 4 months ago I cut my finger on the job and went and got it looked at the first care and they diagnosed staph it cleared up with the right meds  but then itseems I have staph repeatedly over my bodylittle tiny bites with pus , my cut  healed horribly and I ended up pulling the stiches now little white balls can be forced from the scare like infection .. Are all the because of my nose infection back in prison or am I falling apart because of just a really bad diet?
i have done a ton of research on this due to my white patches, feels like tape on the lips, little white bumbs when looking in magnifying mirror, itchy. Its called exfoliative cheilitis! its a type of fungus infection. Look it up on google there are treatments. Ive tried applying vinegar and that helped also using an anitbacterial dish soap on the lips until it burns then wipe it off, and apply neosporin for 2 hours and then take it off and sleep with dry lips. it helps! all of these ideas are not mine, ive read them and they have all helped. please try it if you are suffering! xx
My lip is doing the same thing, but it's on the right.  It started to swell and feel numb one day, then within 12-24hrs, was a dry patch that did feel like tape stuck to my lip.  I am in the process of cleansing and detoxing with a raw foods diet.  I'm taking Stadard Process' Multizyme, Livco, and Gastro-Fiber.  Do these sound familiar?  Did it go away after the cleanse?
Yes, I do use reuseable water bottles.  Well, more like I reuse my store bought water bottle over and over again.  I'll try what you did.  Thanks.
check out information for Exfoliativ Cheilitis
Hey guys,

***I HAVE THE CURE!!!!!***

I read this around a week ago when I started getting very Frustrated with a dry ichy pealing patch on my lip that felt like sticky tape was stuck on it. I had this for 2months. It was really starting to worry me.

Since then I have stopped using facewash and wash my face with Vasaline brand Moisturiser and everynight before bed I rubbed a cream called Diprosone on the spot. After a week of continues use ITS GONE!!

Happy days!

Good luck, remember to use the cream everynight and change from facewash to moisturiser.

Kind Regards,
Jessy

Diprosone is steroid cream and you cannot go out in the sun or you will burn straight away, so only use at night and wash off in the morning.

Sounds like the same thing i had. After reading up more info on here, i decided to go and do something about it

The doctor suggested i get Invite Concentrated Vitamin E Cream. And also a good lip balm.

After two weeks of using both products and drinking more water, my lips returned to their normal condition. Cant tell you how happy i was.

Although lips have returned to normal, i continue to apply both products, i have given up ciggys and drink lots of water.

It worked for me hope it works for you :)
I had this same problem, a red, tight, dry, patch right above my lips, under my nose for 3 months now. After reading these post, and seeing the word cancer everywhere ( both my parents have cancer) i freaking out and call my demotoligst. She said it looked like a mild reaction to something, and told me to stop using everything i started using in the last 6 monts, and to drink only water. I had bought bare minerals, new eye cream, and a new tooth paste. I stop using all of them, and within a week it started to get better. WIthin two weeks it was totally gone. I brought each product back, one at a time, and it turns our it was the bareminerals.  So happy it wasnt the C word.

Before I went to the doc I tried EVERYTHING. vasaline, blistex, carmax, coco butter, burts bess ( with my dr said to stop using, only drys rashes out more). I couldnt go more then 20 min without pointing something on my lips.  The only thing they helped at all was Aquaforia baby healing Oinment. Got it at cvs, with the diaper cream $6 for two tubes. Aquaforia lips didnt help, but the baby cream did.

I hope this helps
I read your post , I am on Zoloft and is experiencing the same thing.
Tea Tree oil has been working very well.  It take about 3 days to start looking better.  I apply it at least 3 times a  day.  It's been about a week now and it's almost gone!
My dry flaky, slightly numb upper lip disappeared after i started using Calcichew  Tablets that I had been prescibed  for vit D defiency. I could not tell you how these two are connected but I ve perfectly soft lips now.
I am just going to post about my experience here and hope this will help a few people with the same kind of issue I had.

I still don't know what exactly was on my lip. I have some idea, though. At first I just thought it was dry and peeling in that spot, but then it began to feel different than a chapped lip when I ran my tongue over it.  It felt rough, grainy, and numbish - it didn't exactly tingle, but I had reduced sensation in the spot. The perfect way to describe it was as if I had gotten a smear of superglue on that spot and it wasn't my real skin. I know a few of you know what that feels like!

The first occurrence was just a very tiny spot and it went away on its own after a few days. But it came back after a week. This time I was concerned, because it was larger and in the exact same spot. I came here and looked at all of the comments. Cancer, herpes, candida...Dear God, you people have scared the bejeesus out of me. I was also dealing with some type of eye swelling at the same time, as well as a swollen lymph node, so I was doubly freaked out.

I tried Blistex - no improvement. Burt's Bees regular lip balm - less dry, but still rough and definitely still numbish. Then I tried flax seed oil (Google "skin cancer, Budwig" and you'll see why) for one day. I didn't notice any real difference after a day. Then, I found a regular container of good old Carmex lying around and saw that it works on "fever blisters." I didn't think I had a fever blister; it didn't hurt, it wasn't swollen and the redness was rather barely visible. (In other words, this thing was only noticeable to me, and mainly annoying because of the texture/numbness.) After a few hours of applying Carmex, I noticed that the skin was starting to become the texture of a chapped lip, as if there's a loose layer that you could peel or scrape off. So, that's what I did. The layer of dead whatever (eww) came off, I cleaned my lip with a **** towelette and put on another layer of Carmex.

I can't say for sure that the flax oil helped at all - it seemed to be just the Carmex that finally had an effect. However, it could have been the combo of flax oil, then Carmex. (I doubt it, although flax oil works, it takes awhile to have an effect.)

That was two days ago, and today my lip is back to feeling mostly like my own lip! I've had a few more dry areas around the perimeter of the affected area to peel off. The texture of the lip is smooth, but a bit tight because it's fresh skin. I'm alternating between the Carmex and Burt's Bees, which don't dry as quickly as the Blistex. The numbness is about 10% of what it used to be, and I think in a day or two, I'll stop obsessing over it. (You know how you get hyper-sensitive to anything going on near your lips, teeth, gums, etc and keep "checking" it with your tongue, lol.)

I'm also crossing my fingers that this little thing stays gone this time! But at least I'll know what to do if my immune system takes a day off and lets this thing come back.  Right now, I'm glad I didn't rush into the doctor and get my lip burned with liquid nitrogen before giving a few natural alternatives a try.

If the spot on your lip is painful, strangely colored, bleeding or anything of that sort, I really would recommend getting a doctor to check it out. If it does turn out to be something serious, do a little research on the Budwig diet before you agree to have your lip cut or burned off. We kind of need to keep those if at all possible ;)

By the way, I am not affiliated in any way with Carmex and in fact prefer Eos organic lip balms. (The little egg-shaped thingies that do not look at all like lip balm on the outside!) Happy and healthy lips, everyone!
i think the question we should ask ourselves.. are we all on birthcontrol? im wondering if its the BC giving my the upper lip dry spot
Well, I've had this same problem on my bottom lip for 9-10y ears now. I am female and 45 and I hate it!!  I have read every post and I haven't found a common thread that would shed any light on what we all have in common.  Mine lasts for several weeks, disappears for a couple then it is right back again. I have tried many things, and nothing seems to help.  I don't know what to try next.  I have taken prescriptions as well as over the counter, and used moisturizing lotions for extremely dry skin.  Nothing helps.  If I ever figure out how to get rid of it - I will be sure and let everyone know.  (And no, I'm not on birth control)
Wow....I cam across this site because I have the same thing going on. I have never had anything like this that I can remember, at least not to this magnitude. I had a small white patch of odd feeling rash on my upper left lip. It spread across both of my lips and now on a portion of my left lower lip. It's very dry and can only be seen when the skin is pulled like while smiling. When I smile, my skin tears in those areas. I'm left with painful slits. The edges of my lips where my skin is on my face is rough and bleeding in some areas. I now have a blue spot on my left lower lip. I see a dermatologist in 2 weeks...but in two weeks???? Will my lips shrivel up and fall off??? I see some help here in the previous posts that I will surely take advantage of. Thank you.

Ashley
I had this problem for about a month, the patch was very small and disappeared after applying some generic cold sore medication. Two weeks later it was back and had spread to the entire left side of my upper lip.
I tried more of the cold sore medication, to no effect. Then neosporin, abreva (entirely too expensive) and tea tree oil. A combination of abreva and tea tree oil (eventually just tea tree oil and blistex) and the patch has begun to peel off after 3 days of using tea tree oil. I went ou tand got some Lotrimin (clotri~) and applied a thin layer morning and night. That seems to be helping, the patch had begun to spread even further but I think I caught it in time.

Tea tree oil seems to be the way to go! Natural and not too harsh.
I also realized that letting my lip dry out did not help, constantly moisturizing with Blistex caused it to peel.

I have had this same issue on my lower lip, left side for about a month. Once it seemed like it had almost gone away, then reappeared within the next few days as thick and dry as ever. Lip balms will soften the spot but as soon as that sinks in it is dry again. I had a cold sore in the exact same spot before but this isn't a cold sore. Trying some cold sore meds anyway out of desperation. This happened about 2 months after starting Nuvaring. Did anyone else trace this back to after staring birth control?
Its not herpes or lip cancer or eczema..its just either a heat rash or irritatted skin... try using chap stick with cocoa butter or oils no alchol because this will dry it out....I used aquafina chapstick with jojoba oil everyday and within a wekk it healed
I had a dry spot on my upper left lip for a couple of months. It was dry, thick and rough for a couple of days and then it would become thin and vaguely taste of blood if I licked it. I tried various creams, both anti-viral, anti-fungal and anti-bacterial--both pharmaceutical and natural remedies. I saw two doctors, who both saw very little. Nobody noticed it, but I could feel it and I was concerned it wouldn't go away. I am so glad it did go away so I wanted to make this contribution.

What helped in the was a steroid and anti-bacterial cream called Fubicet. My GP prescribed it. You are only supposed to use it for a week. the symptoms disappeared within a few hours, but after I discontinued it after a week, it came back. After a while I tried it again, and it is gone gone but would come back after I stopped. Steroid are not great for the immune system so just keep on using it is not an option. I did notice that whenever it came back after usage, it was less intense.

What got rid of it in the end was using the cream only I could actually feel any drying or thinness, with a maximum of one day a week. this way I would not overdose on the cream, but it also broke the cycle of the patch growing thicker and thinner skin. After a while I noticed I needed it less often than once a week and eventually the concerns never returned. I have been with happy healthy lips for about five months now. Good luck.
Hi I have light patches around my mouth at first  it was just at the bottom of my on both sides of my mouth now its on my chin and around my upper mouth and by my nose I have been useing a mild face wash and moisturizer. I dont now what it is it started about 6 mounts ago. Can you please help me
I too have the same exact problem with my upper lip - about a month now. Dry patch that feels like tape on the lip or nail glue, once in a while I can peel it off.  I have tried Rosebud Salve which works on all kinds of skin ailments, but I have seen no noticeable improvement.  

However, unlike many of you who have posted about yeast infections, viruses and pre-cancerous conditions, but no specific changes....I noticed that mine cropped up shortly after my husband and I changed something in our diet.  We are very healthy eaters and about a month ago, I started roasting a poblano pepper - virtually every day - and we have been eating them every night for a month now.  Additionally, we have been eating raw garlic rubbed on grilled bread and then served as a vegetarian sandwich.  Each of us has half the poblano on the sandwich.  I have sensitive skin and especially in the winter prone to dry patches and irritation from city water/chlorine.  So after a couple of weeks, I figured that the peppers may be causing the problem.  As much as I hate to, I will stop consuming the peppers.  I will follow-up in 1 week whether or not there is any improvement.
Hi there,

I have been experiencing the same and it is driving me nuts. I have a doctors appointment next week but am curios about the answers you got. Did you fin out what it was at  all?

I've been experiencing the dry patch on my top lip for almost two months now. I don't have any infections or dramatic diet changes. But one thing I think it may be that I haven't seen anyone make light of is eczema. I've had eczema since I was a kid and therefore have extremely dry and sensitive skin. It didn't occur to me until after reading through all these post that I could have an dry eczema outbreak on my lip. I have a special cream I use for when I get outbreak rashes from eczema. I applied it to my lip today so I'm going to see if it disappears in a couple of days.
I read through this whole page a few weeks ago and related and since there were no answers I went to see my doctor.  Who sent me to another doctor.  Who ultimately sent me to a dermatologist.

I was experiencing the same thing explained here -- a spot on my lip that felt like there was superglue, or stiff -- a textural difference that was NOT a cold sore and was not in pain but did not go away for three months.  And I couldn't stop picking at it.

The dermatologist did a biopsy and ultimately concluded it is a wart.  which is viral.  (upon google image searching I in fact found pictures that resembled my spot).  The treatment for the wart is for the dermatologist to freeze it off.

I don't have a progress report on the treatment for you but did want to start contributing some answers to this page since so many people seem to have the same symptom and no information!  This may not be your answer but it was mine.  
Ok, I have a few of these dry patches on my lips over the past few months.  I was really concerned that it might be herpes since I was with someone that I later found out had herpes.  My blood tests came back negative. There's no sore, no blister, no itching, tingling, or pain. Just three little patches of dry, flaky skin.  They look red when I get out of the shower and if I look with a magnifying mirror I can see tiny little white dots on one of them.  I'm baffled, on the one hand, I'm worried about herpes...but with no typical symptoms, it's hard to believe that, that is what it is.
Hello all - had the same problem and promised myself that I would come back to this site and post if I found a solution.  But yes a dry dark patch that grew to 2 patches on my upper lip.  felt like tape...  I used Car Max lip balm (can be found at any supermarket or any pharmacy).  Worked after using constantly for about a week.  Still using it after about 2 and a half weeks.  Patch is no longer dry and the discoloration seems to be fading...  Phew, no need for doctor/dermatologist!
what happened with ur patch and white dots ? ist fordyce spots ?
I hope you will seethis and reply bcsur post is in 2009. tc
Hello to who ever reads this site.. not much of a doctor but  my dry spot was on the lower lip left side but never had a cold sore in my life. Had the problem for ever even as a child. Parents went on a mexican vacation when i was 7 and I remember blood all over the hotle pillow the next morning so  drinking water and moisturizing all the time cause  something like that is embarrising. My dr said it was probable from a kissy family member that carried the herpies (herpes) simplex. He ask if I ever had a tingly feeling in the lower lip and  of course I said yeah without asking  for more details for the virus.  So wheather it is or isnt from  the virus try the ointments for the coldsores. avoid wasting money on CHAPSTIXS> BEES WAX AND VITAMIN E for lips cause really they dont help anymore than petroleum jelly salve. IF I EVER FIND A CURE OR FIND OUT WHAT IT REALLY IS I WILL RETURN.....
I had the same problem. The spot popped up a few days ago, and then I got the flu. I had had angular chillitis before, so I have been using clotrimazole cream (antifungal) a few times a day for the past few days, and the rough spot has peeled and it almost better! Hope this helps!
Mary...pls update if you find any solution anytime.
Mine is GONE! Big THANK YOU to those that commented on a possible fungal involvement! In my case, my dry patch 1st appeared a few weeks ago on my top lip just right - this seems to be a common location for others here as well. It went away for a week then came back in the same spot which I found alarming thus 1st suspected possible viral?? I’m 40, male, and never had such a weird sensation before, but just like others have posted, it feels like a small rough tight dry spot, slightly desensitized or numb -like. My lip did turn noticeably more red in that area both times, but has since returned to normal color - yet dry patch persisted. The analogy of having a piece of tape or a smudge of superglue residue on the lip is a pretty accurate description - very very annoying. Anyway, a ton of good posts here. I tried salt, Epsom salt, toothpaste, creams, etc ... nothing was helping. So I finally tried some clotrimazole (anti-fungal) cream and within just a few hours I noticed the tightness start relaxing! I also added some Neosporin applications and more anti-fungal for the night time. Roughly 24 hours later the dry rough skin finally fell off and I have my silky smooth upper lip back! Now with the dry patch gone, I soaked some vinegar on that area and felt a burning which means the area is not yet 100% healed, so I’ll keep applying the ointments for now. Therefore, I am one who believes my spot was indeed fungal-related. Seems the fungus isn’t very aggressive, just hanging out, yet persistent enough to keep the skin rough tight and dry. I guess killing off the fungus finally frees the new skin to grow underneath and push the rough skin closer to the surface where it can peal away on it’s own, but don’t force it. If this comes back one day, I’ll now be more mindful of early signs and get anti-fungal on it right away - perhaps more natural methods like vinegar and/or tea tree oil.
Read here(link below) that this is exfoliative cheilitis and possibly caused by mercury-containing dental amalgam in close proximity to dental titanium implant.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3241953/

I too had a root canal treatment 5/6 yrs back and it is there probably since then.

Cure,
Calendula ointment 10%
http://www.casesjournal.com/content/2/1/9077

I am not able to find calendula ointment... can anyone tell me how can i get it in India.
I also have this problem and couldnt figure out what it was. It started as just a small dry spot on the right side of my top lip, and felt rough to touch with my tongue. I scraped at it with a cloth which left the area feeling like everyone here is describing - slightly numb and feels like theres a piece of tape on my lip.

I have just tried applying vinegar to it and sure enough - it burns like fire. I get no reaction applying vinegar to other parts of my lip.

Its definitely a fungus. I do hope it goes away now - it is really annoying!
Thanks for sharing everyone. I bought tea tree oil, clotrimazole 1% and blistex lip medex. The first day using this, the dry spot peeled off. Its still a little dry spot on my lip but not as dry as it has been. Ill give you more updates as i use these items for a few days.
Day 3 an that dry patch on my lip is pretty much gone but going to use this stuff for the rest of the week to make sure. It really does WORK!!!!!!
You have a condition called seborrhagic dermatitis aka a yeast infection of the skin.  You need to treat with Nystatin cream which is an antifungal. I had this for months and used clotrimozole with limited success. It would appear to go away and then come back. The Nystatin cream did the trick, like magic.http://www.medhelp.org/posts/new/336605#
You have a yeast infection of the skin aka perioral dermatitis or seborrhagic dermatitis.  Try Nystatin antifungal cream.  It worked wonders on me and I tried everything. Cleared it up like magic but you need to keep applying it or the yeast will come back.
hello, i've read most of this post and found that some of us may have slightly different conditions... however, in my case, i had a dry discolored spot on my upper lip that developed a couple weeks ago. you could peel a layer off of if you wanted to... felt like a piece of tape as some of the other posters have described.  kinda like dead skin... anyways, i got worried and came here to check it out.  i read the post about the woman believing her case to be a fungal infection, and concluded that i also was dealing with a fungal infection.  i put some listerine on it, and as of today (3 days later) the spot is gone.  if you are prone to fungal infections try applying anything that kills fungus to your lips, you don't have to get all fancy with it.  
Good to hear.
As I've mentioned in my previous posts, I do agree probably the majority of individuals having this dry tape-like patch on the skin is due to a fungal organism. That said, I agree with you that there are several posts here that might indicate something else... and for them individuals, I'd suggest keep researching and see your local doctor.
As far as the majority here, I had this dry spot reoccur (as many have also eluded), either in the same location or slightly offset. Normally that would support a potential viral involvement. However, I felt the relapses were due to not completely eradicating the fungus deep within the tissue. Well, I've been symptom-free so far after treating my last episode. I used an extremely diluted bleach and water solution. Let me repeat - extremely diluted. Bleach is dangerous and can chemically burn your skin, especially your lips! Twenty eye-dropper drops to each 8oz of water. This is so mild, one can barely taste it and is somewhat like a freshly chlorinated pool. I soaked my lips in this solution for 15 min, three days in a row, and saw the patch start to peal off (like tape) afterwards, thus new healed skin emerged. But this solution is still harsh on the lips, so use a lib balm between. I allowed my lip to heal before I repeated this treatment for good measure in the following week. So far so good, no re-occurrences yet. I won't recommend the bleach-protocol I mentioned above - probably be better off going for a swim in a chlorinated pool next time, and more fun - LOL. But just wanted to illustrate that the dry patch (my dry patch) reacted positively to a chlorinated protocol treatment.
I still suggest that seeing your Dr. is the best advice - not self treatment as I did.

Okay so I've had the same thing for months! Here's what's working for me. I do not touch my lip with anything but q-tips. I clean the area with alcohol then peroxide. I put lotromin lotion on it and let it stay on overnight. The next morning I clean the spot again with alcohol and peroxide, when I see it peeling I use pointy tweezers to remove any loose skin and repeat the process over again. It's been a week and it's almost gone. Apple cider vinegar works too but it doesn't stay on it just drys up and you have to keep applying it over and over. Don't use band aides on your lips!!! I made that mistake and it rips off the good skin leaving a mess behind! I haven't been using any type of lip gloss or lip stick at all, during the day while I'm at work I use Burt's bees herbal blemish stick, it's a liquid with tree tree oil in it. Mine is still there but it's really really small now and going away. I hope this helps I know it makes you crazy!!!
I have the same thing everyone else is talking about.  Followed advice and used Nystatin with huge overnight improvement.  Peeled skin off easilly this morning and am continuing to use Nystatin today.  Definitely some kind of fungal thing.  Weird, but I guess weird things happen with age??  Never saw the doctor, but used some of my son's ointment from diaper rash.  Hopefully my lip will be normal in a couple days.
This past July I started with all the symptoms everyone is describing. It seems every time I get sick it flares up. But there is always the rough dry skin that feels like gum or tape stuck to my lips. I recently went to Doctor and he asked me when I brush my teeth if the tooth paste gets on my lips? I said yes and then he asked what kind of tooth paste I use? I said 3 D whitening tooth paste. He said throw it away and use regular old tooth paste and try to not get it on my lips. I'm excited to see if this is what has caused all these problems.
I had the same problem as everyone is describing over the past few weeks...sudden red dry patches on lips which felt like a bit of tape was stuck to my lip. Anyway I took some advice on here and used some anti fungal creams (Daktarin & Clotrimazole) 2 to 3 times a day as well as applying Blistex whenever lips felt really dry (which was often!). My lips are now almost back to normal after 4 days thank goodness. Just thought i'd post this, hope it helps.
Has anyone thought the culprit might be their old lipsitcks/lipbalms or lippencil liners?  I think that is what causes the infection in the first place!

Either clean your lipsticks or throw away after a certain time... As we use these items we introduce bacteria/fungus which eventually multiply enough to cause problems when we use the stuff on our lips! Since the problems happens on the lips only - which is a very sensitive area, it makes sense that its something we use on our lips!!!!
I had this issue too and am checking all my lip make up to make sure I am not using old and contaminated stuff.  Just a thought.  

I had the same issue for over 3 months (dry lips, peeling, pussing, back to dry, peeling, so on and so forth); sometimes it felt like I had a piece of tape over my lip.  I finally decided to visit a clinic and they prescribed a corticosteroid (eg. Prednisone).  It prevents the release of substances in the body that cause inflammation.  It's basically a steroid.  I took one at night and saw immediate results the next morning!  I just finished my prescription (twice/day for 5 days) and my lips are 99% healed.  I highly recommend asking your doctors/physicians if they could prescribe it.  
Hello all.  I just went through this and I am now on the other side of it... I believe.. I read through this forum as I started dealing with it and I felt that it helped.  

Back in Feb of 2014 I started to notice a dry, circular patch on the right side of my lower lip and it was dry and slightly abrasive. I started to put basic moisturizing lotion on it and it would suppress it but it would just keep surfacing.  If I didn't moisturize it would just reappear and it would flake a bit.  The skin flakes were white.  I went until about 3 months into May of this year and it still was there and not going away.  I had already tried some topical cold sore medication, went through the whole small tube and nothing....  This is when I knew I was dealing with something else.  Straight-up I am a married guy who has never been adventurous sexually outside of my marriage, never really was before I got married so I really didn't believe it was anything related to that type of activity.  I read through this column and others and noticed comments about other finding out it was "pre-cancerous".  I booked an appointment in early June to see a dermatologist.  In my family I do have a little bit of a history of skin cancer.  No one has ever died from it but they do keep an eye on it and numerous family members have had the derm folks cut pieces away from their body.  They did a biopsy on it... nothing complicated... a quick little needle which froze the area and then basically cut the top of that area off my lip... didn't feel a thing after that... they used liquid nitrogen to burn the area afterwards - could smell the burned skin - essentially it blistered and healed and all I was directed to do was keep it clean and put some polysporin on it as it healed.  I went to my 2 week results appointment today.  It is fact was pre-cancerous.  It hadn't gone cancer at this point but was in a pre-stage and the doctor praised me for taking action to come in early.  They burned the area again today and I have another 3 month check-up but all seems like its going to be fine.  I am just really encouraging you folks that if it doesn't go away and you have the means GO and see a dermatologist.  We never know when something like this COULD go nasty.  It is not a big deal at all IF you go early.  I am not a doctor and can't say that all of these are pre-cancerous but others have gone through this and I just did.  I can honestly say that I am not sure I would have gone in when I did had I not read this forum.  I am thankful for that.  Back in 2008 I had a 30 year old step- brother - not blood related -  die within a year and a half from oral cancer.  Was the peak of health and in just under 2 years was gone. Hope this helps guys.  I have appreciated this forum.  God bless. John 14:6
From what I have read and talked to my Doctor about, this lip condition that I also have can be related to sensitivity to acidic foods, allergies and autoimmune diseases (or even the onset of them- where a test would unfortunately not indicate that you have them yet - they think this is my situation). What I have, as some of you have mentioned, comes and goes with what seems to be no rhyme or reason - with autoimmune diseases flair ups happen in this same way.  It is not always known what causes them.

Mine is bothered and made worse by acidic foods - if I eat citrus fruits or tomatoes or sour candy (citric acid).  

FYI... You can cure auto immune diseases with ****** therapy.  Working on that myself.  Google it!
Don't understand why my FYI advice was censored...
I think you and others who say this is caused by fungus have made the correct diagnosis for many of us posting here.  Obviously something that doesn't clear up should be looked at by a dermatologist to rule out a precancerous condition.

I have just developed the problem described in these posts.  At first I thought of cold sores but I have never had a cold sore previously and this is not painful, just annoying.

For the past couple of months I've been fighting raging athlete's foot.  I have had mild athlete's foot a couple times before but this is much worse.  After reading your post I think it is no coincidence that I developed this new lip problem for the first time.  I will look for a fungal treatment remedy that is safe for the mouth.  
I just developed a dry spot on my upper lip on the left side. It came around a few days ago, I attributed it to stress, but after reading some of your posts I'll keep an eye on it and if it doesn't go away I'll see a dermatologists. I've been applying EOS and another lip balm that I can't think of the name right now. It does have that same type of tight feeling, but I don't think anyone else has noticed it. Hopefully it will go away soon.
I love this forum it was so helpful. I have the exact same condition as everyone else who has posted on here.

Tried the Clotrimazole 1% antifungal cream 1st because I already had some in my medicine drawer. Used it one evening & applied before bed. In the morning condition was the same.

Went a bought, HerpecinL at walmart ($5) and within 2 hours of applying it religiously my dry patch separated from my lip and peeled off. Lip feels completely smooth and normal again. Hopefully it stays that way! I am going to keep applying the HerpecinL just in case for the rest of today.

My only confusion is that I have had cold sores before (never on my lip) and they were angry mean sores... and this patch didn't hurt or get aggravated with my constant rubbing/biting... so I am surprised it reacted to the herpecinL? Weird. Maybe it was just a more friendly cold sore than my others.
I am thankful to have found this thread. Like everyone else I had the same dry patch that felt like tape stuck to my lip. I struggled with this for over a month and used several types of lip balm to no avail. After reading all comments here  I was able to narrow it down to either a lip fungus or Actinic Keratosis. I then did research on organic apple cider vinegar treatments for both and found that neither type of cell/growth is compatible with vinegar.  I applied Bragg's Organic apple cider vinegar ( "with the mother"...  I don't know why this is important but it is) with a Q-tip and the cells immediately turned white. I should warn you that this stings A LOT.  I applied  the vinegar 4 times more that day and each time it stung less. The next morning it was completely scabbed over. I applied the vinegar several times more the next day just to be safe. During this time I did not use any type of lip balm or lip stick.  The scab came off after a few day and the dry patch was 100% gone. Thanks to everyone who has posted here. Had I not found this thread I would not have figured this out and would have gone to the dermatologist and probably fought with this thing for months in total frustration.
I am so glad I found this thread!! I have the same problem and I suspected it was a reaction a lipstick or gloss. After 9108 mentioned Keratosis, the light bulb went on. I have Keratosis Pilaris on my arms that I have been able to mange to 99.9% elimination by going gluten free (which also stopped my eczema flairs). I researched the lipstick and it has gluten in it! No wonder my tummy has been a bit unhappy and my lip has the 'tape' feeling. I am just using Aquaphor until my body eliminates it. Thank you again!!
I am a male and I too have the same problem on my lower lip.  It appeared about two months ago.   It is a dry patch that feels like tape on the lip.   It seemed to be deeply embedded which prevented peeling off completely.  
Worried that it may be cancerous, I showed my MD who examined it under a light.  He told me we should watch the area and if it formed an outer ring he would take further action.  He said it was inflamed and told me he was going to give me an injection to treat my sinus infection and that might clear up the patch on my lip.  About two days after the injection the dry patch peeled off and my lip was normal.  About a week later the dry patch returned.
After reading all of these comments, which I am thankful, I remembered some ear drops that my doctor had prescribed me for an ear infection.  I remembered he said it had a steroid in it to reduce the swelled areas.  The prescription was Otomar HC.   It is made up of Chloroxylenol, Hydrocortisone and Pramoxine.  Chloroxylenol is an antibiotic that is used for treating infections caused by bacteria or fungus.  Hydrocortisone is a steroid used to reduce inflammation.  Pramoxine is a topical anesthetic.  
It states that this medicine is to be used only in the ears and avoid contact with eyes, mouth, nose or lips. Rinse with water if contact is made in or on those areas.
I applied a little amount on my fingertip, (a very small amount) and dabbed it exactly on the dry patch.  It seemed to absorb the oil immediately.  I did not touch the area with my tongue or close my lips for 10 minutes then I dabbed the area with a wet napkin.  I repeated eight hours later.  The next morning the area had peeled off and my lip is normal again.
I realize what I did was contrary to instructions concerning the use of the product and I’m not suggesting this action be repeated by others.  A person should always read and follow instructions, when using a product or trying to put together children toys.  When the GPS is broken, a man should stop and ask for directions……the children of Israel wandered around the desert for 40 years.  Even in biblical times, men wouldn’t ask for directions.