extremely dry skin around nails

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

extremely dry skin around nails

I have extremly dry, fast growing skin around my nails on both, hands and feet. If I don't do daily maintenance for my fingernails, the skin cracks and becomes painful. This is worse with cold weather or lower humidity. I have tried multiple lotions and potions. I realize there is most likely no cure, but I am interested in" is there a name for this?", products that help. I have noticed my brother has the same problem.Thank You!!!

Hangnails have a misleading name, since they are not part of the nail. Instead hangnails are small strips of skin that separate from the cuticle. If they catch on our clothing, or anything we are touching they can become quite painful. Fortunately treatment is relatively simple and prevention even easier.

The principal reasons we get hangnails are dry or cracked skin and nail biting.
If you are not a nail biter and get hangnails frequently, the cause is most commonly dry skin. Medical experts recommend using a good hand lotion twice a day to minimize drying of the cuticles. Some also recommend soaking the hands in an oil and water solution for about 15 minutes daily. Before you do any work on your nails, like pushing down the cuticles, moisturizing the fingertips is an excellent way to prevent creating hangnails.

Doctors also suggest covering the skin after removing the hangnail with antibacterial lotion and a bandage. A hangnail that looks very red or is filled with pus is most likely infected. If you have an infected hangnail, it is a good idea to see a doctor for treatment, since infection can spread underneath the nail and damage it.

Getting regular manicures can also help reduce hangnails, since the hands are usually soaked in an oil solution. Most manicurists are very good at removing pesky hangnails

Regards.