Dermatology Expert Forum
eyelashes falling out

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

eyelashes falling out

for about the last six monthes clumps of my eyelashes are just gone.i am in very good health, 49 yrs old.The only medication i take is a naturopathic form of estrogen called Bi-EST. i haven t changed mascara, eye make up etc.My general MD had no idea and ended up doing a thyroid test, which was normal. I am not under stress either. They grow back and then a clump in another spot is gone in a few days, this has been the cycle . No itching redness or irritation either.I ve quit wearing make up for a week or so, does nt seem to matter.Is my scalp hair going to be next? Is this Apopeca ? {Just guessing at the spelling}. Thanks for any help. I am about to go to the Dermotologist. Thank You
Alopecia can affect any hair-bearing part of the body (scalp, beard, legs, etc.), but I have never seen it affect the eyelashes.  Also, hair in this condition doesn't grow back "in a few days," but rather takes weeks or months.  In fact, I have never seen a condition where the cycle of coming in and falling out is as rapid as what you describe.

Is there any chance you may be rubbing your eyeleashes or absent-mindedly pulling the hairs out?  That is something I have in fact seen.

Your dermatologist should help clarify this.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
That wasn't a nineteen dollar answer. I would ve mentioned it if i was PULLING them out,that doesn t help me with the mystery. They appear to start to come back, then the spot is bald again, i did nt say they d completely come back. I understand that would take awhile,as usual a patient has to tolerate being treated like a 10 year old, by an arrogant MD.
Your anger seems rather uncalled-for.  I simply am not familiar with hair loss-and-regrowth in the pattern you describe.  When hair comes out from alopeica, it doesn't grow back for months.  I really don't know what you mean by, "appear to start to come back."  What you originally wrote was, "They grow back and then a clump in another spot is gone in a few days."  

I wish you success with your consultation with your dermatologist.

Dr. Rockoff
Hello...
I currently have the same problem. That is my eyelashes to are falling out. It may seem weird and I am really worried but after reading this I have realized I do rub and itch my eyes constinly througout the day. My husband is a doctor and after doing research he to has come to the conclusion that the person has to be bring this on to themselves. It's not normal nor a medical condition and you are the only one that can fix it. That means stop touching your eyes for awhile and everything should go back to normal. oh yea, it's rude to be nasty to someone that is only trying to help you. It seems like you were the only that approched her. So be nice and thank them. They were only helping someone who needed help.(To the MD) Thank you, you have helped me ALOT !!!

Miss_Me
Hello...
I currently have the same problem. That is my eyelashes to are falling out. It may seem weird and I am really worried but after reading this I have realized I do rub and itch my eyes constinly througout the day. So MD Thank you, you have helped me ALOT !!!

Miss_Me
My eyelashes have been falling out too :( I just don't know what to do. And what concerns me is there is basically nothing out there on the net, no ifo. There is a group with women who share the same problem but theirs have never grown back. It is too depressing to read that. I need answers. I almost feel too humiliated to go to my derm. And the last thing I want to hear him say is "Oh yeah, I see, you have lost a lot". I have bald spots and it looks so strange. I am 45 and was under a ton of stress. I know I have always pulled my masscarra off and eye lashes with it. During my time of great stress, I am certain I was pulling even more? But why would they come out more now, or not grow back now?? I am wondering if they do grow back :( How long it takes. It's been two months with nothing but more loss. It's bad enough to age but to age with no dignity is suffering. I'm depressed :(

Sarah
.
Are those little eyelashes I see there, Phil?? :)

So I went to the derm yesterday. He said this is due to the great amount of stress I have been under. It's not my picking the masscarra (spelling) that was making them fall out, although that certainly didn't help matters. I have littel new ones growing in. I stopped wearing mascarra and just wear pencil and it looks fine, can't tell. But with no eye make up on - something I always loved to do (clean, fresh looking), I just look down right scary and alien!!! So I won't dwell but will instead remember the saying ..."this too shall pass"
A related discussion, Eyelashes Falling out was started.
A related discussion, Eyelash fall out was started.
A related discussion, Eyelashes falling out! was started.
A related discussion, eyelashes falling out was started.
A related discussion, i have already cut off my eyelashes, HELP!!!! was started.
A related discussion, eye lashes falling out was started.