Dermatology Expert Forum
eyes quickly swell up, itchy rash behind ears, one side of face quickly...

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

eyes quickly swell up, itchy rash behind ears, one side of face quickly swelled

Shortly after I woke up yesterday I noticed my eyes were itching.  I made coffee, whole wheat cereal with soy milk.  I read the paper.  I kept rubbing my eyes and when I looked in the mirror they swelled up as I was watching them.  Very quickly. it statred in the corner of my eyes, near the tear ducts.   The swelling went down and I thought it was over.  That night however, my neck was itching and I saw a rash on my neck.  when I went to bed, my neck and back felt hot.  The next morning, I had the same breakfast as I always do and was very careful not to touch the paper or my eyes.  About an hour and a half later, the same thing happened but only only one side of my face. Behind my ears was also very itchy.  Again it receeded.  later that day I went out shopping and while out, the third attack happened.  I had not eaten or drunk anything since morning.  This time, again only one side of my face (the same side) but behind my ears was extremely itchy and there is a red rash there.  My one eye is very swollen as is my sinus on that side. I look like I have bells palsy but it's not because of the itching and swelling.  It's not drooping.  My ears are ringing.  My neck and throat feel tight. The swelling and itching come quickly and then receed.  Although it has not receeded yet from this third attack.

The only possible things I can think of are I returned from Mexico ten days ago.  Also, I opened the heater and noticed the filter was very dirty.  I accidently left the cover off and I turned the heater on, so it was sucking air from the garage.  However, the third attack I was not in the house, so I don't think it could be dirty ducts.  I live in the desert near Palm Springs.  Because I had not eaten I don't think it could be sulfates.
This sounds like urticaria (hives), which cause rapid-onset swelling and itching.  In almost all cases, no cause is found.  The symptoms respond to antihistamines like Benadryl, and often come and go over short periods.  This usually subsides on its own in days to weeks.  I suggest you see a doctor when the swelling is present (if it comes back), or photograph it if you can't.  This is not at all likely to be food-related, despite what people often say about hives.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Hi! It has been 3 weeks now where I have experiencing similar symptoms. Red, itchy and burning rashes on my face, ears and neck. The worse thing too is that I have all these wrinkles around my eyes. My eyes feel heavy as they are mildly swollen. I have been to the doctor and the blood tests came out negative for allergies. The doctor suspected hives and did not say more. I was prescribed with hydrocortisone (1%) and hydroxyzine. It's been 3 days since I started on taking the medication, and the wrinkled and inflammed eyelids are still there. The itch seemed to have dessipated but my skin feels tight and I look like an old lady. Is there anything else that's happening? Would the wrinkles go away? I am afraid to put more cortisone around the eyes. What else is there to do?
A related discussion, Itchy eyes & face was started.
A related discussion, why is my glands swellin was started.
A related discussion, ears was started.
A related discussion, Hives and swelling. was started.
A related discussion, Whats wrong with my face? was started.
A related discussion, swollen and itching to face and neck was started.