flaky and itchy ear

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

flaky and itchy ear

hello i have a very dry and icthy easr. i scratch so much. i dont know what to do. it very emberassing.

It could be due to seborrheic dermatitis (similar to dandruff), which may be caused by dry, flaky earwax, irritation from chemicals in hair products, or excessive ear cleaning.
Other causes like infection, trauma, or allergy, can produce itchy ears.

Skin diseases such as allergic dermatitis, psoriasis, eczema, seborrheic dermatitis can cause itching in the ear just as they do elsewhere. These are treated in the same way that they are treated elsewhere in the body.

The diagnosis is made  by otoscopy (looking inside the ear). Steroid creams are used in persons with allergic skin diseases affecting the ear.

Dry ears tend to accumulate flakes of dry dead skin. This can be caused by reduced secretion of ear wax or excessive cleaning.
You can take an anti-histamine for relief from the itching sensation.
ref:yourhealthportal.com/itchy-ears.html
I have the same but WORSE,it's a vicsious cycle, i jab q-tips just to relieve the severe itch, I also have become a compulsive  scratcher for almost two years, It itches, I scratch, It itches worse, I scratch so badly it hurts i have to pick the flakes, it gets so sore & bleeds. I put neo-sporin, it gets more flaky, I put hydr-cortizone, it still itches....But, my ears itch topically where you can see it AND way deep like an alleregy itch. I can't take it anymore! I hide my ears with my hair, I walk away from friends or co-workers just to itch them! so embarrassing,now I'm getting an itchy small patch on the back of my neck, and have a form of exzcema on my fingertips like little blisters? Are they contagious like from ear to fingers to neck, i dont know what do! MY dr. said use VINEGER! I did it burned like Acetone!!! worst thing i could have done!!!
PLEASE HELP ME  
Hi, you have the exact symptoms I have now, the scaby neck and behind the ears, the scabby itchy ears and the pin pricks on the end of my finger which looks like splinters but isn't. Did you find out what this was!? Or has anyone else had the same??