Dermatology Expert Forum
fungus or psoriasis?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

fungus or psoriasis?

Dear Dr, about 2 months ago i noticed a tiny weird "dry" patch of skin on my upper arm. I didnt think much of it because it is winter and i often get dry skin. But it slowly got bigger but was never itchy. Now it is pretty big and really itchy. There is a second round spot a couple inches below and there are smaller ones starting on the other arm and a small patch on my leg. I do have an appointment with a dermatologist but of course i have to wait 2 weeks to see him. I've looked around the internet and to me it looks like Tinea. Is this possible? Here is a photo of the main spot. The yellow stuff on top is just the flaky skin discolored from the lotion i was using on it. If i take a shower the flakes easily come away and it is just red with tiny bubbly surface. Earlier it was more pink in the center and a red ring on the outside. Please have a look and let me know what you think. http://www.berdat.ch/ebay/skin.jpg

There are three possibilities: bacteria (impetigo), fungus, or eczema.  Based on the photo, and the history of fairly rapid spread, I would vote for impetigo.  Also, this is the most important to treat, since it is contagious.  If you have been around someone (especially a child, since kids are more susceptible) with similar spots, they should be treated too.

While you wait to see the doctor, you can get Hibiclens wash and bacitracin over-the-counter, and use them daily.

Perhaps you can get a general physician to see you sooner and prescribe an oral antibiotic effective against staph germs.  That might clear up the rash promptly, and if not, will make the dermatologist's diagnostic job easier.

One way or another, you'll clear up.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Thanks Doc. My spouse hasn't gotten it in the last two months so does this mean it is probably not a bacteria or ..???
Probably not, but you need to check anyway to get rid of it.

Good luck.

Dr. Rockoff
I have what seem like the pores on my legs  are full of white powder  in patches.
Nothing I do works. I tried washing my leg with a drandruff shampoo that works great on my hair.
What started out on just below my knees is showing up all ove my body.
Is there something I can get over the counter ?