genital warts and rash

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

genital warts and rash

i was recently told by a doc that i have a wart on my penis...the wart is flat and hard to see except the fact that its pink...but i noticed that the pink cloror is also on the head of my penis. (the wart is just under the head) then i looked at my testicles and they are also red...but the redness does not spread to my inner thighs. Do you know if the "rash" could be a result of the wart? i have had a wart under my thumb nail for 2 years. i never knew it was a wart. but i think i spread that wart to my penis...is this possible?  is this the same type of wart that causes genital warts? i hav'nt had sex in over a year when i got this...and it looks like thats gunna be prolonged now because im affraid to spread this. its taken a big toll on my self-esteam.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Genital warts is a highly contagious sexually transmitted infection caused by some sub-types of human papillomavirus (HPV). It is spread through direct skin-to-skin contact during oral, genital, or anal sex with an infected partner. It can  often occur in clusters and can be very tiny or can spread into large masses in the genital or penis area. The redness could be an infection or dermatitis. Fungal infection or jock itch may present as redness with scales. Diagnosis is with skin scrapings evaluated under the microscope. I would recommend that you have this evaluated further for proper management.kDirect clinical evaluation is essential in determining the diagnosis. Always keep the area clean and dry. Take care and regards.
but i think i got genital warts from my own hand..cause i have not had sex in over a year. and ive been to a doc, he said to put clotrimazole on the redness...the rash does not itch at all..but i sometimes feel pain for a few throbbing seconds.
How could i have gotten gw when i dont have sex!!! No one can answer that?
If you read a lot of the posts on here or anywhere that talks about genital warts it is possible for the virus to lay dormant in your body for a long time...even over a year.  A lot of the posts also say that the virus that causes warts on your hand is different from the one that causes warts on the genitals.  Also, the chances of passing warts from your genitals to your hand or vice versa...slim.

I totally understand that you need answers to your questions, I think you will find all of your answers on this website if you would just do a quick search.

Best of luck,
OGuurl
Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers